How repeatable is William Karlssons season?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is this one of the all time fluke seasons we are witnessing ala Cheechoo?

Going from 6 goals to 41+ goals. 7% to 23% Shooting percentage, more than tripled.

Will he ever sniff 40 again? What do you project him for him going forward?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was just looking at his stats and he would be 5th on the Sharks in shots and iXGF, insane

I don't expect him to score more than 25 ever again

Reactions: Phu

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I say he'll end up between 25-30 next year, but it would be a great story were he to sustain this pace.

Maybe he's cheating

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This has been discussed to death and it just serves to undercut what has been a remarkable year for him regardless of whether it's luck or not.

In any case, 25-55 player is a safe bet but I think if he is motivated to improve he can be a 30 goal season.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's almost incredible how much luck he is carrying right now. The puck bounces right to him on literally every random chance play.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He's on a new team. He might just be the real deal. When Voracek was beating Crosby in points many years back everyone on HFboards said his season was a fluke. Now Voracek is a PPG player.

Very possible that Karlsson is the new Voracek.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I really don't get this player. Nothing about his results is sustainable but he keeps producing like he doesn't care.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
vegas is enjoying unbelievable mojo this season.
this reminds me of colorado a few seasons back. if literally everyone on the team isn't having career seasons this team is pretty mediocre.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Watching some of his goals this year I would say he’s get more 25 goals in him next year

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I haven’t seen enough of him, but just looking at the variables. Maybe this is his break out season. Young player finally getting his chance to produce.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
vegas is enjoying unbelievable mojo this season.
this reminds me of colorado a few seasons back. if literally everyone on the team isn't having career seasons this team is pretty mediocre.
Couldn't it just also be that some guys are coming into their own as the players they were meant to be? I mean sure someone like Karlsson could be having the best year he'll ever have but someone like Marchesseault?

He always had offensive talent but he is absolutely the straw stirring the drink on his line with Rielly Smith not far off in that regard. Neal is doing what he always does and this is absolutely NOT a career year for him, Perron is playing with the same level of talent he always does but his effort level is far more consistent than it's ever been. Haula never really got the kind of opportunity he's getting in Vegas and sure his numbers will probably fall from where they are now but he is absolutely a legit 2c based on the way he plays. Tuch you can't bemoan career year because he's a rookie and honestly his numbers pale in comparison to the level of talent he already possesses...if anything he needs more finish in his game. Eakin is not having a career year by any stretch (he's hit 40+ points twice. This year he only has 26). Theodore scoring more points this year than his first two combined, yes, is a career year but he's an offensively talented defenseman. He was bound to hit 25 points in a season eventually. It was a matter of when, not if.

The only real outliers that are suspect are Miller and Schmidt sitting at 36 and 39 points respectively. Most of Schmidt's points are assists and I don't think it's all that absurd. He's been very good at moving and distributing the puck from the point. Same goes for Miller but he's found the back of the net twice as much, again not entirely unsurprising because he has the best point shot on the team. Both players were well regarded by their fanbases when they were drafted and they have expanded roles like never before. On an offensively potent Vegas team it's not unsurprising to see them carry high numbers

All that being said, my observation is the only thing that comes close to this team pulling the wool over everyone's eyes is not in their offensive abilities but their defensive play. Up until the all-star break the entire team as a unit was playing magnificent defense. They were modeling their defensive system after Nashville and even guys like Luca Sbisa looked good playing in that system. However, after the ASG break and the second wave of injuries hit the team, things have been out of sorts and that system has broken down to an extent. If Vegas struggles in any way this spring and beyond it's because Gallant couldn't find a way to fix that system.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Regardless of his shooting percentage, W Karlsson always had the potential to score more than 6 goals in the league, it was just a question of ice time, confidence, linemates and system.

40+ goals may be an outlier, but 6 was an even greater one.

Reactions: markog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad