• Less than 40%

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • More than 70%

Votes: 30 15.3%

• Total voters

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
JT needs to move to PP2 and 3rd line duties.

JT + Marner did nothing.

Keefe won't change anything, because the safer play is to do nothing.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Keefe won't change anything, because the safer play is to do nothing.
1713752963036.png

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Playoffs show up and this dude goes hiding yet again

Can’t outplay either of coyle or Zacha and he makes more than both of them combined

It’s crazy to think he makes 250k less than pastrnak. Those guys are not in the same planet

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Playoffs show up and this dude goes hiding yet again

Can’t outplay either of coyle or Zacha and he makes more than both of them combined

It’s crazy to think he makes 250k less than pastrnak. Those guys are not in the same planet
He is old now and nobody thought he would be good by this point of the contract. Team was supposed to win a few cups by now and be rebuilding rather than trying to rely on this guy to go anywhere in 2024. At least he scored the series clinch last year.
Team traded f***ing Kadri for scraps and he wins a cup and is probably more effective right now than any current leaf.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
He’s worth 40% rn

He’s only ever been worth it his first year

Years 2-3; 80ish%

Year 4-5: 70ish

Year 5: 40%

Solid 3C, grinds away and can chip 45-55 points maybe
65 points what was the most by a 3rd line center anyways? Flat cap Corey Perry hit to the head and san jose offered 13 million. The fact he got taxed 7.5 million on him signing. I don't expect Canadian teams to compete for to many of these types of players in the future. Note Americans seem to be catching up to Canadian star power. Does that make it even less likely to ever pull a F.A. top end American

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I'm a big Tavares fan. I've defended him a ton on HF and with in-person friends. He's still a good player, and I still think he'll help the Leafs win this series.

But man, game 1 was not great. He shouldn't be dying in the face-off circle, and he shouldn't be out played by freaking Coyle. I expect a much better game 2 from JT. I don't care about his cap hit, it's all irrelevant right now. Just win your face-offs don't be an embarrassment on the powerplay, and maybe have some sustained 5on5 shift in the O-zone.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's clearly declining rapidly. Next year's going to be a scary year with that contract. He might be at the level Spezza was at, when Spezza played here.

But in game 2, he at least battles for everything. He does want it, he just can't at this point. He's getting easy to knock off the puck as well, which is concerning.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
nice he scored on the pp but he was still a liability 5 on 5 and killed the 2nd line . Mitch looked fine when he played with AM

hopefully Willie is back soon and both him and Marner are good enough to carry JT at even strength

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He is still a really good player who has proven he can get it done when needed.

Slowing sure, still mighty effective though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't even lie, anyone who talked smack about JT also 100% feels calmer knowing he's out there for us

Well that’s not always true but he stepped up big in Game 2 vs Boston. Took a lot of physical abuse and gave a lot back just to get a toe in the game. The way even guys like Pastrnak were running him. The way he gave it right back. Kept clawing away and scored that game tying goal. I’d say that was one of his grittiest efforts and the kind of play style that needs to be repeated to build a playoff legacy.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
He might just use the cap space to acquire Huberdeau.
In all fairness, the Tkachuk trade was to Panthers only, so what options did Treliving really have at that point?

Tavares had a good half game in game 2 and a nice goal but he has to keep it up for another few months if I'm going to be a believer in him... it's what an 11 million dollar Captain should be doing without question 👏

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
nice he scored on the pp but he was still a liability 5 on 5 and killed the 2nd line . Mitch looked fine when he played with AM

hopefully Willie is back soon and both him and Marner are good enough to carry JT at even strength
This is the most relevant take re: 2nd line, Tavares, Marner

Marner and Nylander both traditionally play RW though... so unless either play LW (or C) it may not work out

I still think Tavares should be not be a 2C on a good playoff team but who else is there at this point?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like Tavares because he's a talented player who gives everything he's got every single game. Sometimes it's not enough, but it's not for want of trying. He is the best version of himself.

He didn't sign himself to his contract. The Leafs offered that, as did other franchises. That was his market value then. Not his problem. His next contract will be much different.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not my type of player and not necessarily sure I would want him on the team going forward

All that said, he was alright last night but he and Marner at 5v5 for the 2nd line last night didn't do much but his goal was huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad