Music: How old were you when you stopped liking pop music?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Really young, before high-school for sure. I remember my godmother buying me Thriller on vinyl for like my 10th birthday but not long after that I fully became a listener to hard rock and heavy metal. Since then my tastes have continued to evolve and refine to include jazz and blues along with a number of metal/rock offshoots, especially progressive music.
Thriller transcends pop music. In the early 80's it was more like a house accessory that seemingly everyone had around the house.

I can't stand pop music in general but Thriller is f***ing godlike even today in my opinion.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm someone who listens to a lot of dance music, and that means a lot of pop music. So. . . Not really? Unless you want to call what happened to rock after the 2000s and for the most part, that stuff is largely unlistenable.

Sep 19, 2008
I am sitting in a Twitch chat watching a streamer playing Warzone. He is blaring 90's and 2000's songs.

I bring this up because pop back then when I was in MS and HS was much better than it is today. I don't want to sound like an old man but these are serious bangers he is playing, and it's not just because of nostalgia.

Among the songs he has played today

- Foundations of Wayne - Stacy's Mom
- Good Charlotte - Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
- 50 Cent - In The Club
- Usher - Yeah
- Nelly - Must be the money

Listening to these songs gives me good memories of sitting around all day after HS playing CS 1.6 and Rogue Spear :laugh:

It's like the music today isn't as good. Around 2015 pop music got worse and worse to the point where they send out these overproduced acts with shitty songs without any catchy bops or appeal

Maybe it's just me not going to the club scene anymore man. A lot of those songs you heard on the radio, now you have to go to the club or the sports game to hear them. I was talking about this somewhere else, but I don't listen to the radio anymore for top 40. Nobody I know does that. So how do you get acquainted with pop music? It's a lot more difficult now. All the catchy songs I hear today are from the hockey game (that's how I discovered the Dua Lipa / Elton John collab).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I still hear the odd new pop bop that I'll get jiggy with. I just don't know most pop.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I never really cared for a musical distinction.. if I heard it, and I liked how it sounded - I got into it.

I did a shuffle of my playlist and got these as my first 5:
Dimmu Borgir
Halsey
Taylor Swift
Tool
Juice WRLD

and I used to hate Taylor Swift but 1989 was probably the closest thing to 'Thriller' as far as a pop album being really good and transcending those boundaries we've had in a while.. and then she ended up collaborating with The National's Aaron Dessner and has put out back to back albums which are fantastic. Of course, as my appreciation grew, I started to like some more of the older material that didn't get air-play.

Reactions: beowulf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad