How often does your team get blown out, and what does it mean?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Just curious if blow out percentage might be a useful stat, and if it may indicate anything.

Let's define a blow out as:

1. Your team enters the third period down by three or more goals and loses the game.
2. Your team loses a game by more than two goals, excluding empty netters.

For example, my leafs have been blown out 8 times based on this definition, and have lost 12 times in regulation out of 35 games. Giving them a blow out percentage of 23%. The fact they're getting blown out 1 out of every 4 games is pretty concerning, and makes me wonder if they have the consistency to be successful in the playoffs, where 2-1 wins are routine and necessary to be successful.

To me it's an indication that the team is still relying too much on explosive offensive and haven't truly committed to randy carlyles system.

In contrast, I think Chicago has been blown out once this year, just recently. And theirs no doubt they've had success in the post season.

Thoughts?

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Seems like a pretty loose use of the term blow out. When I think blow out, I think of some pretty epic defeats losing 5-1, 6-2, 4-0, and usually beyond like in that Flyers-Pens series. Losing 4-2, 3-0, 5-2, is still bad but not quite the same.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa rarely gets blown out (maybe three times all season?). Honestly, sometimes I think losing close covers up deficiencies that would otherwise be able to be exposed and addressed by the coaching staff if the game ended in a blowout.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hawks rarely get blown out. Last season it wasn't blow-outs that worried me, it was blown leads, particularly in the third.

Ultimately, that problem came to bear in the playoffs.

But last year's Hawks team was nowhere near as defensively sound as the 2013 squad, or this year's squad (thus far).

Overall, I'd say if you're getting a lot of blow-outs, then you're probably a flawed team, or have flawed goaltending in particular.

The Leafs, in this case seem to give up damn near 40 shots a game. The chances of a lot of goals going in certainly goes up when there are a lot of pucks flying toward your net.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Habs have had quite a few this year.

I don't really trust your calculation or definition though.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Habs have had quite a few this year.

I don't really trust your calculation or definition though.

?? Calculation is 8/35.

Definition was inspired by a Joel quinnville interview in which he was talking about being in games, and not entering into the third down by 3.

But hey, don't like it, make your own thread with your own definition, lol.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I'd consider a blowout to be any regulation loss by 4 or more goals OR any regulation loss in which the opposition scores 6 or more goals.

6-3, 4-0, 5-1, 8-5, etc.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I'd consider a blowout to be any regulation loss by 4 or more goals OR any regulation loss in which the opposition scores 6 or more goals.

6-3, 4-0, 5-1, 8-5, etc.

Do you think your team is still in the game down 4-1 to start the third?

I think that's the crux of the argument, how often is your team still in a game/keeping it close. What you call not doing that, blow out, etc is semantics. Not even getting into games where your team starts the third down 4-0, the team in the lead plays safe, losing team activates and scores a goal. Is the 4-1 game all that different from 4-0? Gets grey, I'd say no.

And by your definition 6-5 is a blow out loss? I don't know if I agree.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just curious if blow out percentage might be a useful stat, and if it may indicate anything.

Let's define a blow out as:

1. Your team enters the third period down by three or more goals and loses the game.
2. Your team loses a game by more than two goals, excluding empty netters.

For example, my leafs have been blown out 8 times based on this definition, and have lost 12 times in regulation out of 35 games. Giving them a blow out percentage of 23%. The fact they're getting blown out 1 out of every 4 games is pretty concerning, and makes me wonder if they have the consistency to be successful in the playoffs, where 2-1 wins are routine and necessary to be successful.

To me it's an indication that the team is still relying too much on explosive offensive and haven't truly committed to randy carlyles system.

In contrast, I think Chicago has been blown out once this year, just recently. And theirs no doubt they've had success in the post season.

Thoughts?

see the oilers scores

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Hawks rarely get blown out. Last season it wasn't blow-outs that worried me, it was blown leads, particularly in the third.

Ultimately, that problem came to bear in the playoffs.

But last year's Hawks team was nowhere near as defensively sound as the 2013 squad, or this year's squad (thus far).

Overall, I'd say if you're getting a lot of blow-outs, then you're probably a flawed team, or have flawed goaltending in particular.

The Leafs, in this case seem to give up damn near 40 shots a game. The chances of a lot of goals going in certainly goes up when there are a lot of pucks flying toward your net.

Every year the Hawks always get one blowout and it usually comes at the hand of an inferior team - like Edmonton and recently the Jets if you consider a 4-1 score a blowout (and it should be when the Hawks are on the losing end of a 4-1 game)..

The Hawks rarely lose a game by more than 1 goal. I'd be willing to bet that it's happened less than a dozen times since 2010 and half of those were probably blowouts.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
This year's Panthers rarely get blown out and, likewise, rarely blow out teams (maybe 1 or 2 games on each side). As to what that means, I'd say that it shows that they usually play at up to their current talent-level, but, based on their record, that level isn't high enough to be anywhere near a dominant team. In other words, good coaching and a team that doesn't deviate from the system.

Aug 6, 2012
The Wings rarely ever get blown out. I can only recall like three games all year that they've lost by more than 2 goals.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Based on "blowout" defined as losing by 3 or more goals, the Hawks have been blown out 3 times this season:

Det 4-1
Van 4-1
Win 5-1

Conversely, the Hawks have blown out their opponent 10 times:

Buf 6-2
Phi 4-0
Mtl 5-0
SJ 5-2
Dal 6-2
Edm 7-1
Ana 4-1
LA 4-1
StL 4-1
Tor 4-0

The Hawks are 11-9 in 1 goal games

ScubaSteve*

Often. To me it indicates that they aren't very good at hockey.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The Jets were blown out (by this definition) three times in their first five games, all three goal losses without empty netters. Since then, over the next 30 games, no blowouts. They have yet to give up more than 4 in a game.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
So 3-0 and 4-1 defeat with an empty netter is a blow out? I would restrict the criteria a bit more than that. Because a 2 goal deficit with an empty netter at the end is something that I would still consider a close game.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Jets were blown out (by this definition) three times in their first five games, all three goal losses without empty netters. Since then, over the next 30 games, no blowouts. They have yet to give up more than 4 in a game.

That's a decent number (4), but when you've given up 4.......eleven (11) times already, that's not good. Oh and btw, the Jets have yet to win one, when giving up those 4.

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
The Panthers have been blown out four times:
Devils - 5-1
Flyers - 4-1
Kings - 5-2
Wild - 4-1

We've blown teams out twice :
San Jose 4-1
Ducks 6-2