How Often Do You Complete a game 100%?

How often do you complete a game 100%?

• Total voters

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just don't see the point. Most of the time the achievements aren't something skill based but just a time sink, which I'm not interested in. Red Dead Redemption did this a lot with some of their unlockables. Is hunting down certain animals actually difficult? No. It's just time consuming so I'm not impressed by someone who has done that. I'm probably more concerned that they aren't getting enough sunlight.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Modern games : never lol, except for sport games

Older games : MGS , one of the Marios, DD

I don't have the time nor the patience for those "big" modern games (except a few sport games)

I have s soft spot for GTA Vice City; I never finished the game, or completed missions, I just played to relax, stealing a convertible car and driving, with the radio on, during sunset with the ocean and palm tress in the background

Most

Relaxing

Game

Ever

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I have two platinum trophies on PS3/4 so very rarely. Going for a 3rd on GTA SA as of right now but that'll probably take months with how rarely I play it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I only have 1 platinum trophy and it was done a couple of months ago. I only did it because I saw that I was really close just by naturally playing the game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Maybe 10 games ever, most of which would have been on the original GameBoy.

I have 3 or 4 platinum trophies, but Persona 5 is the only one of those that was an actual 100%. Getting everything possible out of a game hasn't been my prerogative since I only had a handful of games to choose from. Now I just have way too many games in my queue to force myself to keep playing something I'm growing tired of.

I do like that my one true 100% modern console game just had to be one of the largest games of the generation/the entire JRPG genre, though...and I want to do it again with Royal...that just may take a couple of years instead of a couple of months this time.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Over nearly 30 years of gaming? A few...

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 7/8/10
Ogre Tactics: Let Us Cling Together
Tony Hawk 1 - 4
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Star Ocean 2 - Both the original and Remaster
Star Ocean 3
Pokemon Red/Silver/Crystal/Soul Silver

Although there is a disclaimer for two games, FFX and Star Ocean 3. For FFX I did everything but the 200 lightning dodges, including beating Penance in the latest version. I once got to 160ish and my dog laid on the power strip and turned off my PS4. I've refused to try again.

For Star Ocean 3, one of the battle trophies requires 1,000,000 button presses. f*** that noise.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The last time I put a lot of effort into getting 100% in a JRPG was FFX-2. It was actually the worst ending, not the best ending.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll do it if I love a game and respect/enjoy the way it handles extras.

Super Mario Bros 3.
Super Mario World
Link to the Past
Megaman X
Super Metroid
Tetris Attack
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
(clear gap where I didn't care about videogames)
Downwell
Hollow Knight (after DLC)
Inside
Celeste (before DLC)

I think Celeste is the game where I respect the extras the most. Almost everything extra is just as if not more substantive, cool, and well designed than the base game. The B Sides and C Sides are really really great, intense, and satisfying, and the strawberries/crystal hearts are all very cleverly placed.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
To me, finishing the storyline is 100%, the rest is just gravy I guess. I'm not someone who ignores sidequests though but I'm not gonna get OCD about them either and I have never once given consideration to 'trophies'.

Red Dead Redemption is one that I think I got to like 97% or so because I just loved riding around and doing stuff on that game so I was happy to keep playing beyond the storyline. Same with Arkham City, fun to glide around and do the sidequests that you didn't do earlier.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The last game I 100%'d was Nier Automata. Even got my character up to lvl 99.

I could probably do the same with HZD and Detroit:Become Human, but not in the mood, although I did beat both games, and DBH does have lots of endings to cycle through.

My problem, is that I'll start a game...and just quit part way through most of the time, even games I do like. Prey, BoTW, FF 7, Uncharted collection, etc I think there are games in my Steam library I've never launched.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Never. I just complete the game and that's it. Games nowadays very rarely have any replay value to me and I don't care about achievements or 100% anything. lol

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Quite rarely. Out of the all the years I’ve been gaming I’ve completed a lot of the Crash series, GTA’s, Simpsons Hit & Run and The Last of Us there are some wrestling games in there. The most recent one I almost completed was MGS 5, but accidentally deleted the game file trying to clear some space on the hard drive. FML.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Never. I stop playing when I stop having fun unless it’s just a temporary annoying part. To me that’s what gaming is about, not about achievements, but to each their own.

Pretty much this. I do try and finish the main story, even if I find my enjoyment waning. If I know im within a couple hours of the end I'll power through and finish the story.

100%? Never. I dont care about Achievements at all

Reactions: robertmac43

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Rarely, I think most games are longer than they need to be even without all the extra padding to get "100%". I usually feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer around half way through.
This

A game is supposed to be fun
What's the point if there is no fun anymore, it's not supposed to be a grind

Thats why I'm more into retro gaming these days, they are fun
(but when it comes to sport games I do prefer moden games)

I am hoping for a GTA Vice City remaster though - I wouldn't complete any mission, just drive a convertible during sunset along the ocean drive , with the radio blasting 80s music and chill

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I agree with the general sentiment, there do exist games where 100%ing them is legitimately worthwhile, fun, and rewarding rather than pointless grindy busywork.

It's no different than how some games are worth speedrunning or playing on the hardest difficulty.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If a game has fun gameplay than I'm more likely to take on the more 'chore like' grinding in it. For instance Spiderman for PS4. I loved the combat and just swinging around so grinding out the side stuff at the end of the game was no problem for me.

Also helps that it's not an over the top long game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The max i can ever play a game is about 30 hours total, and even that is RARE. So the answer is no.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Never I don’t do collectibles which most triple A games or pointless fetch quests. Bs way to pad a game length and a waste of precious time on earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad