How Often Do You Complete a game 100%?

How often do you complete a game 100%?

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hello all,

I've had this kind of discussion with a buddy of mine in the past but what's the ratio of games you complete 100%. When I was much younger, I had the tendency of never finishing games completely and moving on to other things, I don't know if that's common, my friend on the other hand always had to complete his games before moving on.

Personally, I can count the games I've completed on one hand:

South Park Fractured Butt Whole
RDR 1
Bully
Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom
Lego Harry Potter

Most games I'll complete the main story but there are some games where at times they are so lenghty that it becomes a grind to go through. Since I have a huge backlog of games to go through and only so much time, I find it's case by case depending on how much I'm enjoying the game and how much time I'm willing to put in it. Like during the COVID I played RDR 2 and started doing thing to complete it 100% but I gave up with these challenges that require too much time to do IMO (which is an obstacle I didn't have on the first one). Sunset Overdrive is another game that kind of falls in that category. I collected some collectibles as I was playing it and my logic is I might revisit the game down the road and fully complete it.

With today's variety of games, how often do you complete a game? (Won't consider achievements part of 100% since some games require online play)

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Never. I stop playing when I stop having fun unless it’s just a temporary annoying part. To me that’s what gaming is about, not about achievements, but to each their own.

Reactions: John Price

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Rarely, I think most games are longer than they need to be even without all the extra padding to get "100%". I usually feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer around half way through.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Rarely, I think most games are longer than they need to be even without all the extra padding to get "100%". I usually feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer around half way through.
I kind of agree, unless we're talking about retro games, there are a lot of games who add stuff to do just to get more time out of the gamer, at least that's what I find. Most collectibles to collect are pointless. I can somewhat get behind secondary missions but I really don't like games that go overboard with their things to collect (looking at you Sunset Overdrive or Assassin's Creed).

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I kind of agree, unless we're talking about retro games, there are a lot of games who add stuff to do just to get more time out of the gamer, at least that's what I find. Most collectibles to collect are pointless. I can somewhat get behind secondary missions but I really don't like games that go overboard with their things to collect (looking at you Sunset Overdrive or Assassin's Creed).

Yeah I wouldn't say that complaint applies to most retro games, many of which are actually quite short (which I'm all for).

They often did try to extend the length of the game artificially though by making them very difficult or giving you a small number of continues, making you replay all the early levels over and over again. So I just use save states these days to provide infinite continues, that makes games like Super Ghouls n' Ghosts fun instead of an annoying slog.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Not often because of the nature of the games i play like the Yakuza series. Those games are packed with mini-games that you have to complete to get 100%. Let us just say that there is stuff in there that i could not give a rat's ass about like Mahjong.

More linear games like Sekiro i often 100% because they are not massive so they do not require as much.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think I can also count on one hand what I have completed. Often I complete the games I love, the most recent one being Spider Man.

Right now I'm going for the platinum on Borderlands 3, the game refuses to get boring for me!

Sep 19, 2008
Never.

Had the chance to go 100% in several games including Spider-Man PS4, Yakuza 0 (and 1 / 2/ 3) and GTA SA / IV / V

Once I beat the game I don't have much incentive to go back. Even in Max Payne 3 when you could unlock all the guns after playing for gold guns I went pretty far (up to the abandoned apartment level) but quit after that.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Like, all the side challenges and fluff?

Almost never.

I normally play the campaign, and will play side content as long as I'm having fun....but once that campaign is beaten I usually move on. I don't typically go for collectibles, etc.

Sep 19, 2008
The only one I've ever 100% was Spider Man and I only did that because it was rather easy to do.
The closest I came was doing spider Man but once I beat the game it didn't really matter to complete all of Harry's quests

I did try to unlock all the hacking stations though and beat all the "beat up the waves of bad guys" challenges

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Strong generation gap vibe here where I would read the questions as just, you know, beating the game. vs collecting all the arbitrary stickers for the sticker book. Just commenting here because even my definition of this my score would be pretty low.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
For me completion of a game is when you finish campaign (story mode). Once done it I put game on my grouvee "played" list.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I'll admit it I am a trophy hunter, but I wasn't always. When I was younger I would just complete games til I finished the story or got bored with it. When they introduced the trophies to the PS3 I didn't think anything of it, until I hit University. Since I didn't have the disposable income that I used to beable to, so I needed to find a way to make games last longer than I used to. In came trophies. It did the job. That was over 10 years ago now. I now have 47 platinum trophies and over 4400 trophies.

I do find that it creates another issue for me though since I am now trying to get those platinums I stick with games longer then I probably should and it has created quite the backlog. I have games I payed full price and haven't touch,

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'll admit it I am a trophy hunter, but I wasn't always. When I was younger I would just complete games til I finished the story or got bored with it. When they introduced the trophies to the PS3 I didn't think anything of it, until I hit University. Since I didn't have the disposable income that I used to beable to, so I needed to find a way to make games last longer than I used to. In came trophies. It did the job. That was over 10 years ago now. I now have 47 platinum trophies and over 4400 trophies.

I do find that it creates another issue for me though since I am now trying to get those platinums I stick with games longer then I probably should and it has created quite the backlog. I have games I payed full price and haven't touch,
That's an interesting comment. I'd say my buddy was in a similar situation financially which would explain why he 'devoted' himself more to complete the games he played.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It really depends on the game for me.

But I have 100% completed the following:

- GTA Vice City

- GTA San Andreas (I’ve done this one 100% twice)

- GTA 4 (f*** you pigeons!!)

- Bully

- Red Dead Redemption 1

- Sleeping Dogs

I know I’m also only missing a few mundane things in order to fully 100% complete RDR 2 as well....but I don’t really care as much this time around. :dunno:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Almost never. I got 100% in Maneater recently, and that's honestly the only one I can even remember doing that in.

To this day I still fire up the original Deus Ex game once in a while and I can still find little areas and side missions I never discovered before.

*edit* Probably put more hours into GTA VC and SA than any other games, but the special jumps and races always kept me from 100%.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I was done with absolutely everything in Arkham City except the Riddler trophies. I was already bored from Arkham Asylum trying to collect those dumb things so I mostly skipped getting any of them. I think I had like 30 or so when I finished the main story. IIRC there were something like 150 in total so another 120 for me to get in order to go from 98% completion to 100%.

I tried at first. I got like 30-45 more. Then just hit a wall because it was so tedious and boring. Never finished it again.

I generally think most of that collection for the sake of collecting stuff is pretty pointless and a huge waste of time. To each their own, however.

Last edited:

Section337

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I start most games with the intent of doing everything the game has to offer, though not necessarily a bunch of different skill levels or character classes. In general, if the game keeps my interest, is enjoyable, offers a downtime distraction I will either get their or come close. If a game has multiplayer, the Arkham string together multiple types of attack thing or just something I find to annoying/frustrating I will not.

And personally, rare is the game where I enjoy the story more than just farting about exploring or doing side missions/activities. Heck, I often find a farm in a dark souls type game as a good relaxer. Therefore, I tend to push the story forward when I start to run out of farting around opportunities or when my interest in that farting around (hence the game) starts to wane.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Last game I 100% was Ace Combat 7, and let me tell ya, I replayed the campaign so many times to get it all.

Time before that...........man, I dunno. Last game I tried was Forza 4, which is sort of hard when you don't have online play as a reliable option.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Borderlands 2, MW 2019, Rocket League, MW2 Remastered, Tony Hawk 5, The Division, and PUBG(does that count? I have all the achievements) are my platinums/100%. BL2, PUBG, and The Division pretty much happened naturally(aside from a couple goody achievements I got when I was super close to finishing it). The others I started with the intention of getting 100%.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Rarely. The games I do 100% can usually be 100%ed in less than 20 hours. If the game's story is at least 30 hours long, I wouldn't even think about 100%ing it regardless of how much I enjoy the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->