How much would a shortened season help this team

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
What do you guys think about the islanders in a 48 game season??? I believe that it could go either way. On one side it could benefit them because they have less time to mess things up and if they get on one of there got starts they will be in the playoff hunt, on the other hand one of those November meltdowns and we could be in on jones or McKinnon. So questions simple will it benefit or hurt the islanders?

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Not really interested in anything that comes with an asterisk attached.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
What do you guys think about the islanders in a 48 game season??? I believe that it could go either way. On one side it could benefit them because they have less time to mess things up and if they get on one of there got starts they will be in the playoff hunt, on the other hand one of those November meltdowns and we could be in on jones or McKinnon. So questions simple will it benefit or hurt the islanders?

I have no idea, but I would guess that it would *hurt* the Islanders for the year. I think teams with a lot of veteran players who don't have to learn the NHL game from the ground up will have an advantage. Teams like the Islanders who would be integrating a lot of new young players (Strome, Niederreiter and Donovan at the very least, maybe also Nelson) will probably be at a disadvantage.

I think the year off would benefit the Islanders. We'd have a more settled situation in goal, as we'd have a better idea of which goalie to promote, and what we'd need on the market. We won't have to deal with Boyes and Reasoner, who I really don't want anyway. We'd be able to get some veterans to play complimentary roles instead of first line scoring roles (I like the idea of setting Strome on RW next to JT). We'll have a larger UFA class available, and with the impending move won't any longer be the team to avoid. And of course, the young guys (especially Nelson and Niederreiter) would be able to experience the full year grind in the AHL.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
For the islanders any season is better then no season. The islanders can use another high draft pick which they will likely get and its a very good draft class. Strome needs some nhl experience after the world jrs. We need to find out if he is our number 2 center or first line winger. We should also give Reinhart a 9 game tryout. I know many of you may not agree with this but, he could be already defensively ready for the nhl. He isnt getting any pp time anyway it cant hurt.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm so torn! The Islanders could be in the hunt for a playoff spot because they'll have less games to **** everything up OR they could be in the mix for the next shiny teenager. Man oh man.

Moosie

Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
I doubt if the Isles make the playoffs even if the season is only 48 games. They will have an early slump that will take them out of it. It's going to take at least a month to get any semblance of organization going. That goes with having young players thrust into crucial roles. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They'd probably try to squeeze more games into a shorter time period, so there may be less time off between games. That could help a young team with young legs. But I think that assumes they have the kind of coach that can keep them prepared with maybe less practice time. Capuano?

Hey, OTOH maybe the other teams having less practice time will actually help the Isles, since the Isles probably don't get much out of practice anyway.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
They'd probably try to squeeze more games into a shorter time period, so there may be less time off between games. That could help a young team with young legs. But I think that assumes they have the kind of coach that can keep them prepared with maybe less practice time. Capuano?

Hey, OTOH maybe the other teams having less practice time will actually help the Isles, since the Isles probably don't get much out of practice anyway.

baaaazinga

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well, they would have found a solution to the December slump. They apparently play like a President's trophy team after Jan 1.

I am thinking they win out, take the Cup, sleep with Taylor Swift, and win the Preakness.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Well, they would have found a solution to the December slump. They apparently play like a President's trophy team after Jan 1.

I am thinking they win out, take the Cup, sleep with Taylor Swift, and win the Preakness.

Sleeping with Taylor Swift should NOT be listed as an accomplishment.

But maybe then she'll write a song about us and make us popular.

DanNYI2191

Aug 4, 2011
Suffolk County

With our injury history, less time to rest between games scares me. But I see your point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not really interested in anything that comes with an asterisk attached.

I don't care if they are the 8th seed, in a 48 game season.

I just want then to take the next step: go from competitive to making the playoffs.

They have such little playoff experience on their roster.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I don't care if they are the 8th seed, in a 48 game season.

I just want then to take the next step: go from competitive to making the playoffs.

They have such little playoff experience on their roster.

I understand, I really do.

My biggest fear is that they would catch some short term lightning in a bottle, convince Snow and Wang not to make any FA signings or trades and then regress during the rigors of a full season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I understand, I really do.

My biggest fear is that they would catch some short term lightning in a bottle, convince Snow and Wang not to make any FA signings or trades and then regress during the rigors of a full season.

There's a new Snow interview on the board. It's a puff piece, with 5 easy questions.
From Snow's comments, I wouldn't expect Snow to move far from his homegrown rebuild, but the approaching ufa status of some of his players will likely take the decision out of his hands.

Vis, Streit, Boyes and Reasoner are ufas in July. Vis and Streit should get plenty of interest on the ufa market. It's a good bet the isles current blueline will not be together long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad