How much total revenue could be 'missing'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
As it relates to the 54% NHL cap argument.

Lets say $900 million.

$3 billion X 54% Vs $2.1 billion X 54% is an increase of 42.8%

$32 million cap X 1.428 = $47,424,000

$48 million would cover 19/30(63%) teams based on last years salaries.

$22 million was the lowest salary last season, there is still a large gap of $20-$26(2X) for the lowest teams in terms of salary.

$48 ceiling - $15 Million ceiling/floor difference = $33 million (up to a 50% salary increase for the lowest salary teams, unreasonable/attainable)

$40 million cap with a $15 million ceiling/floor = $25 million floor

Your thoughts

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Then the longer the lockout goes the more long term damage to fan support ...

Baseball paid dearly and they say that it took nearly 10 years for attendance to be equal to pre work stoppage figures

That trend will drop all your figures and the Hard Cap amout accordingly .. So really meaning that the Owners are in control of this work stopage but its the players in lower salaries that will pay the price in a hard cap world ..

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
the NHL doesn't care about the hardcore fans. I think almost everyone could have said that the hardcore fans would return--this is our lives, no need for a poll.

The point is everyone else. Will everyone else return? Will those people who just "discovered" hockey come back to the rink now that they have "discovered" something else? Will those fans in (insert fairly new expansion team name here) return to the levels they were at (or better) before the lockout? These casual fans are what everyone should worry about.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The Messenger said:
Then the longer the lockout goes the more long term damage to fan support ...

Baseball paid dearly and they say that it took nearly 10 years for attendance to be equal to pre work stoppage figures

That trend will drop all your figures and the Hard Cap amout accordingly .. So really meaning that the Owners are in control of this work stopage but its the players in lower salaries that will pay the price in a hard cap world ..

baseball paid dearly because the players went on strike just before the playoffs were to start .that really left a sour attitude towards the players for such a long time .now , MLB is a farce IMO .how can a fan of an AL east team other than the yanks or bosox ever have faith that their team can make the playoffs if either the yanks or bosox win the division while the other likely wins the wildcard ?

I think the nhl will have its problems when they return , but the fans understand that the owners are doing this for the good of the leagues future .

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I think it depends on how all of it is resolved. If the players accept a salary cap this season most fans will come back. However, if this drags into next season and gets into the courts even some of the hardcore fans will be so turned off by the process and how stubborn each side is that many fans will not return. It is ugly now but imagine them trying to get the impasse and the players fight it...it can get even uglier and if you are mad at players or owners now it could get worse. I would think after a season or more the revenues the players are talking about could be cut in half...think about it two or more years without hockey and it gets dragged through the courts. I for one would be very reluctent to buys tickets, jerseys or anything in the near future...it also depends on the system in place. I for one think this needed to occur for the health of the game finicially and on the ice. If the players have a vested interest finicially (i.e., % of revenues and profit sharing) they will work a lot better at making the game better which unfortunately has been not on the minds of the players in the recent past. But if it drags out I will find out things to fill my time and money...entertainment can be found elsewhere.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Ah yes... the latest boogie man! The Owner's lockout has ruined hockey because there no fans will ever want to watch hockey again. And we can safetly lay the whole entire blame once again at the feet of the NHL. Never mind there are two sides to this negotiation that apparently isn't taking place.

Blah. If there's no hockey next season, then you can start counting on there being a pretty major impact... even then, with some new rules, smaller goalie pads, and most of all, the players actually having a vested interest in making the product more interesting (ie revenue linked to salaries), the fans will come back. Unless we're all dead from the bird flu, mad cow disease or possibly early onset balding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad