How much strength & endurance do you need to play hockey? Compared to other sports?

JR97

May 16, 2012
Probably because they are getting CONSTANTLY hit and beat on. That doesn't apply to running or hockey. Unless you are Bob Probert! :D

OMG. just try playing the game instead of trying to relate your running to hockey. They aren't anywhere near the same.

Have you ever had to back check from deep in the O zone and then battle in the corner of the D zone? Until you have you have no idea wtf you're talking about. You might not get punched in the head but you do take a beating. Even in no contact leagues. Maybe have your running coach lace'em up to and then see if he sits down between shifts.

Now the whole sitting/standing thing is interesting and I'm going to try and compare over the course of a few games.

FTR, one of the reasons to sit is because there isn't exactly a ton of room to have guys standing. You can't stand at the bench because players don't make for good windows. Standing behind the bench is ok as long as there's decent room and you know you won't be jumping back over the boards right away.

But again, until you've actually played the game, everything you say is anecdotal not from your experience but someone elses or mere speculation.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
One of the Pens trainers asked Lemieux to come on a 3 mile run and Lemieux dropped out after a mile and a half so he couldn't even do a 2 mile run which is beyond pathetic and I'm a HUGE Lemieux fan! Back in the day I got every book and video on him and I found out his fitness was awful till about the early 90s. After he got cancer he started to get wise but even during his best ever 199 point season his fitness and diet were horrid!

And I REALLY doubt he had this amazing back strength. Even rec league hockey players have told me you don't need much upper body strength to play hockey which explains why he was so weak yet still a world class player!

Haven't you ever heard of all the games Lemieux missed because of back problems, especially later in his career? Before his last comeback, his trainers emphasized core training to deal with his weak back. Otherwise he would have had an earlier retirement.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Hockey is can be played by different sizes and shapes and attributes.

If you're battling in the corners or in front of the net and wanting to physically dominate, intimidate or lay some smack down, it's probably to your advantage to have some size and strength.

If you're going to dangle, use space and use speed and skill then it's probably advantageous to be bigger in so much as a good big man will beat a good little man at most things except caving and horse racing, but someone like Lemieux clearly had enough skill and athleticism to not have to hulk it out in the trenches all the time and hence less need to go ape in the gym.

At rec league level, you can tell who is in shape and who isn't, especially on your own team; and the guys with good conditioning are generally up with the play a lot more, even though some of those in less shape have a propensity to spend longer on the ice, because they lack intensity and energy in what they do.

..though Gretzky showed that what's between the ears is ultimately what really counts the most.

butterflier11

Oct 18, 2014
Matt, I defer to you on the hockey specifics because you have played and I haven't. The puck is not like a street hockey puck but somewhat heavy for a small object. I know it's on ice but it just seems like you could have a stronger shot if you had more arm and wrist strength.

But you are wrong about the marathon comment. I was a big time runner for 10 years and met many other runners. Once I was training at the track and a world class marathoner showed up. I was running with another guy and we were doing intervals from 100m to 400m. He asked to join and we said sure. The guy was AMAZING! He could sprint all out and didn't get tired AT ALL!

You know why? He ran a 2:30 marathon and his resting heart was 45! He had run 50 MILES in ONE day for training before! We are talking almost 8 HOURS of continously running! So there is no way he would get tired doing ANYTHING for 45 seconds to a minute.

You're not comparing the same class of athlete... And a sport that includes changes in direction and high intensity accelerations is quite different from intervals. I play hockey and run track. I can run far more all out repeats on the track than all out intervals on the ice. After going all out on the ice, you should barely be able to stand...

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I've played a lot of sports. Baseball being the most relaxed. Baseball is mostly skill. I found endurance and strength secondary to experience and skill. Wrestling was the most challenging as far as strenghth and toughness but hockey requires the ability to use quick bursts that are much like sprinting but more challenging. Digging into the ice requires a lot of energy to accelerate. I think sprinting is easier.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I must honestly say I am shocked and the lack of strength and endurance of some of the greatest hockey players ever. In Gretzky's autobiography he said he ALWAYS came in last in strength and endurance tests on the Oilers. A video I saw on the Great One actually said you could find some GIRLS out in the crowd who could beat him in arm wrestling!

An article I read on Lemieux said he couldn't even bench 180 lbs. as a rookie and he's 6'4"! I recall from high school at least 3 or 4 17 yr. olds smaller than Lemieux who benched 300 lbs.! Lemieux also couldn't even run 3 miles and he dropped out after a mile and a half!

One of the top NHL draft picks this summer couldn't even do ONE pull up! Not even ONE! It gives the impression you can be a weakling and still be a great hockey player! As a freshman in high school I could 5 or 6 pull ups. Are hockey players as weak as soccer players when it comes to upper body strength? It's really shocking the 2 greatest hockey players EVER weren't even as strong as many high school kids!

There are a lot of different ways of measuring strength and endurance.

I have a weakness in my shoulders and shoulder blades that makes pullups or bench pressing extremely difficult for me, but I can easily leg press more than 3x my bodyweight. My arm-wrestling technique is probably such that I would lose an arm-wrestling match to Gretzky's wife, yet I can lift heavy furniture.

So which tests do you feel are a more accurate measure of strength? Do you only measure "strength" by one static metric involving a specific arm motion, or are other metrics of force and power involved?

As far as endurance goes I recall something Janet Jones Gretzky said. She was new to hockey and she wondered why they only play a minute and keep sitting down! LOL! Do pro hockey players have enough endurance to play 10 or 20 minutes in a row?

Do hockey players have enough endurance to play 10 or 20 minutes in a row? Yes, they certainly do. The problem is just that the speed and quality of the play would drop off significantly. It creates better results to put out a fresh pair of legs to sprint around after one minute than to have the same person sprinting for 2 minutes.

The same is true of soccer. Sure, those guys CAN all run around for 90 minutes, and they do....but the game would look a lot faster and a lot more intense if both teams had something like 20 players on the bench and an unlimited number of line changes such that soccer players could sprint as hard as they could all over the field for a minute or two and then come off the field to recover. A soccer player who sprints for a minute requires the same recovery time as a hockey player who sprints for a minute. The only difference is that the hockey player leaves the surface to recover on the bench while another teammate takes his place, whereas soccer players recover by walking around and lightly jogging on the field while sacrificing potential opportunities to take an advantage (or by faking the severity of injuries to extend stoppages).

Endurance:

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Football
5. Baseball

Strength:

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Hockey
4. Basketball
5. Soccer

I welcome your opinions, observations, and how you would rank strength & endurance among major pro sport athletes.

I generally agree with your lists, except I'd probably put Hockey at #2 on both. Frankly, I'd put basketball 4th below football for endurance. There's just way too much standing around and walking in basketball for me to give it high marks for endurance. You're rarely ever moving that fast in the first place, and there are a ton of drawn out stoppages to recover from whatever minimal exertion you do put forth. Football requires less constant motion than basketball, but the physcial contact element takes a serious toll on the body. Getting knocked to the ground 3 times in 2 minutes takes far more effort to recover from than lightly jogging for 2 minutes with the occasional jump.

As for strength, again it comes down to how you want to define and measure it. Baseball requires a specific set of arm & hand strength, but not much else. And while strength does play a role, for baseball it is more about a certain set of mechanics. Is a baseball player or a golfer stronger than a defensive lineman just because the former can use a club to hit a ball further? I think the ability to deliver and battle through body checks requires more physical strength than simply a mastery of the mechanics and specific muscles involved with hitting a ball 300 feet, 300 yards, or throwing it 90mph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad