How much has Alex Edler declined?

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
I'm in agreement with the people saying Edler hasn't declined, his game has just changed. He was a beneficiary of a high-scoring team earlier in his career and that inflated his offensive numbers a bit. Edler's game in 2016 is becoming quite similar to late-era Mattias Ohlund.

He's the sort of guy I would have liked to see the Canucks trade - see username - so he could get a legitimate chance at a Cup, but he seems to enjoy Vancouver enough not to care about that. As Canucks fans, we take Edler for granted. This guy wants to be here.

LEYYz

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
His inability to process the game at pace or play at pace has always been really annoying. He is slightly digressing every year.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Serviceable 2nd pairing D-man that sees way too much PP time.

They should have kept Torts for one more year just to get Edler to waive his NTC.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Edler has been told to get some scoring done. He is joining the rush and ****. This means he leaves some openings. A saavie offense can take advantage of this. Chicago cashed in, big time. This doesn't mean Edler has regressed, it just means his priorities have shifted.

Personal note to Big Jim: If you can read this, do not trade Edler.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Isn't Edler - Tanev the best or second best shutdown pairing in the league statistically?

We used to have high hopes for him developing his offensive game, but that never really happened and he's been put into a defensive role. As a result when he's noticeable it's because he's making mistakes, and when he's invisible he's probably doing his job.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Edler used to get his point shot through.

Now he maybe gets 1 of 5 shots through because his shot is so weak and predictable, and his wined up takes forever.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Willie is riding Edler like a rented mule....he's just not a 25-plus minute a night guy at this point in his career.....best solution would be to deal him for a nice package at the deadline, but he'd have to be willing to waive....not likely happening.....so Canucks will just to live with the mistakes, particularly against fast teams like the Hawks and particularly in third periods.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Edler has obviously declined.

There was time when he was a lock for the Swedish National Team and now he isn't even a consideration.

Biggest problem is the skating and that may be due to the back issue. He has lost range in his play and now plays it safe. Rarely, if ever, does he join the rush and any offense he has now (outside of the occasional backdoor play on the power play - which he has butchered all season) is restricted to point shots.

This reduction in his mobility is clearly evident in the 3 on 3 play. If this was the Edler of previous year this would be his bread and butter. As it is, he hasn't got the speed to be a factor. Another indication is the declining point totals. His offensive production this year is anemic (1 goal 3 assists) and nothing like that of upper end NHL defense man.

On defense he doesn't have the huge backward cross over that allowed him to take people wide and eliminate them. Now just tries to keep inside position. Also, you note how he straightens up and doesn't maintain proper hockey stance which sometimes makes him slow in reacting around his net or to players cutting to the net.

Edler is still strong and if he can lean on someone he can still come up with the puck. He also retains good up ice vision and can make the good pass out of his zone

But, overall, the skating issues have reduced Edler to pretty much your garden variety stay at home defense-man. He doesn't force the play in the mid ice area and for that matter doesn't seldom pinches. Nor does he try to pack the puck much or carry the puck, with speed, out of his zone. (One of the many factors that cause the Canucks to be tied up in their zone too much). I never see Edler leading the rush out of his end and I do see him more and more backing off his blue line.

Use to be the Edler would have a few sub par games but now he can have some just brutal games. In other words, when he was off his game, before, still not bad but when off his game now he can be very bad.

Moreover, it seems to me, the criteria in judging Edler has changed. When he has decent defensive game (and, in my mind here, he is not doing much more here than any bona vide NHL defense man does) many people say he is doing well. It is like we don't even consider any longer if he did much offensively. In earlier years Edler would be judged by a standard where the good defense was assumed and people looked more to his offensive contributions to determine if he was good or bad..

Maybe the leg, or more likely the back, but Edler skating has weakened and with that his range and mobility have suffered. When you see him taking maintenance days you have to know he is working on problems that are probably chronic and will continue to hurt his play.

At this point, Edler is a good enough d-man to play, at least, adequately in his own end most of the time. On a good team where his responsibilities were limited he would an absolute benefit (as he is still with the Canucks). But he he is no longer close to the #1 category. At one point he was, now he isn't, and I don't see how you can call that anything else but a decline.

Given the present status of the team (a team in dire need of a rebuild and probably several years away from contending), he needs to be used too get younger assets.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hard to definitively say if any player has "declined" IMO.

Burr looking like crap for a year... oh must have declined.

Now leading the team in
+/- / 20: Total scoring chances for + defended - total chances against per 20 minutes of ice-time (net good plays for every 20 minutes played)
8eQi9rM.png

- credit to kanucks25

Burr finds magical fountain of youth that reverses the "decline"?

Or Burr is a human just like you and I and has something to play for now (a trade?).

I've noticed Edler playing like he doesn't give an eff on more than one occasion. Just whipping the puck haphazardly at his partner or at the forward instead of a precise pass that we all know that he's capable of.

Don't think Alex is happy right now based on how careless his play is.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Had to log on to defend my boy Edler. Not sure what the first blogger meant by Edler declining...

Edler's game is a lot more complete than it was. Yes, I know the following:
1) His stick breaks at the worst times - that's not on him, is it?
2) He makes boneheaded passes - risk & reward.. you gotta take risks to make great stretch passes... When you get caught, you look like a bonehead.. When you make it, you're genius.

I really don't think he's declined much. He's being utilized differently. He is pretty underrated right now, I think.

But yeah he's not putting up too many goals yet... It'll be nice for him to get a couple tap-in goals on the PP ... but it is a bit predictable... and he fanned on a couple. Anyways, just wanted to chime in.

Edler is too important to our team to let go in my opinion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Edler isn't 20, he's 30....nowhere to go but down from here on....is there any chance a Canuck GM can trade a guy before he actually goes into serious decline?....there's no way Edler will be a factor when, in the future, the Canucks are even a playoff team....its time for the Canucks to try and deal him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad