How much does Buffalo's location matter?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As someone who grew up there and moved out of state at 26, I'd never move back. Same goes for my brother who moved out of state at around the same age. That said, everyone's different, and the reasons I wouldn't move back may not exist for some. Just depends on the individual and what they're looking for.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
As a non-American, I have never even been in Buffalo, but I have read about it. How much of a handicap does Buffalo have as an area/city/location, when it comes to attracting high-end UFA:s?

If a player has no ties to the immediate area, that is.

I'm thinking about next season and what possibilities we have to get a valuble UFA to sign with Buffalo.

I know that places like Tampa, Florida, Vegas etc. probably has an easier road when it comes to these signings.
**Checks OP's username. Realizes it all makes sense now...***

There are actually a ton of similarities in social geography between Buffalo and Chicago. Buffalo is kind of a mini Chicago in many regards - many diverse neighborhoods with varying degrees of affluency, and it stretches out to the suburbs where I live.

That said, the socioeconomics are much different. Gentrification in Chicago has gotten bad, leading to a huge rise in homelessness from people priced out of the market with no alternatives or means. City leadership is an oligarchy of the wealthy and privileged, and the city is a case study in how the modern economy isn't working for everybody.
Not looking to argue, but I think you'll find that setup in any town, city, or metropolis throughout the USA where there is desirable real estate and / or economic opportunity - whether honestly obtained or lying in wait as an opportunity for corruption.

Thanks for that info. :)

With all the similarities between thsese two cities, are the crime levels the same too?
South side of Chicago has way more violent crime.

Buffalo itself is relatively small. ~250,000 people in the city limits, 1.0-1.1 Million in the "metro area". Population stagnant for ~70 years. Was the 6th largest city in the USA in ~1900, with 600,000 in the city boundaries.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
South side of Chicago has way more violent crime.

Buffalo itself is relatively small. ~250,000 people in the city limits, 1.0-1.1 Million in the "metro area". Population stagnant for ~70 years. Was the 6th largest city in the USA in ~1900, with 600,000 in the city boundaries.

Much like Buffalo has an exaggerated and underserved reputation for cold weather, Chicago has a unfair bad rap about crime.

Chicago has a lower violent crime rate than Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Anchorage, Nashville, New Orleans, and a number of other cities. Violent crime rate in St. Louis and Baltimore and Detroit is almost twice as high as Chicago.

The perception of crime in Chicago gets exaggerated because (a) it's such a huge city, there's more crime than most cities, even if it's less on a per capita basis, and (b) the right-leaning parts of the news media LOVE to report on shootings in Chicago because of ... reasons.

Reactions: brian_griffin

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
**Checks OP's username. Realizes it all makes sense now...***

Not looking to argue, but I think you'll find that setup in any town, city, or metropolis throughout the USA where there is desirable real estate and / or economic opportunity - whether honestly obtained or lying in wait as an opportunity for corruption.

No argument here. You're spot on- there are real systemic issues and inequalities contributing to these things. Chicago's issues aren't exclusive to Chicago by any means. But they are uniquely interconnected and have gone largely unaddressed for a long time.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
No argument here. You're spot on- there are real systemic issues and inequalities contributing to these things. Chicago's issues aren't exclusive to Chicago by any means. But they are uniquely interconnected and have gone largely unaddressed for a long time.
I love Chicago. Going for another visit this summer (wife's grandma turns 90). Hung out with a couple of my Buffalo buddies 2 w/e ago. One was extolling how much he enjoys visiting Milwaukee; he's done it a few times.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the answer to the thread question is it matters but not in a clear good or bad way. It can hurt or help us depending on the player being pursued.

A player looking for a big or glamorous city isn’t going to want to come here. But that would impact a lot of NHL cities beyond just Buffalo. Columbus is finding that out right now. But on the flip side a lot of NHLers are from within a 2-3 hour drive of here. Many wouldn’t mind playing near home. Its a big reason we have Skinner for example.

I think its also worth noting that the Sabres haven’t been a player in free agency for the overwhelming majority of their existence. It wasn’t until Pegula bought the team that we became a player in pursuing free agents. Even going after some of the bigger names. The sample size of our ability to land free agents is fairly small.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
The Pegulas have a well regarded PR guy for the Bills. Rather than doing crisis control on failed trades and embarrassments he should be helping promote One Buffalo and how nice the city can be outside of 3 months of the year.

Saying that, I am one expat-716'er who had to go South due to health reasons so it does factor in serious decisions.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
People who don't like snow and the cold won't come over here and for the most part we have sucked for a while.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
What would be the best time for a visit during the regular season? I'm talking about the weather ;)

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What would be the best time for a visit during the regular season? I'm talking about the weather ;)
Basically not January-February.....should be hitting pretty good weather soon...wind chill has been pretty annoying lately.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Basically not January-February.....should be hitting pretty good weather soon...wind chill has been pretty annoying lately.
Would you recommend typical cold Buffalo conditions? I haven't experienced such cold temperatures, like ever.. also hotel prices seem much cheaper then. Or is it just too uncomfortable to do anything?

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Would you recommend typical cold Buffalo conditions? I haven't experienced such cold temperatures, like ever.. also hotel prices seem much cheaper then. Or is it just too uncomfortable to just do anything?
There is plenty to do in Buffalo and isn't that cold...snow can be bad during the months I mentioned but its no problem at this time.

Reactions: MrMaster

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
There is plenty to do in Buffalo and isn't that cold...snow can be bad during the months I mentioned but its no problem at this time.
I like snow, i'd love to see it pile up. But then again, i might miss my flight back home because the airports are closed down :laugh:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
A pro athlete even on a minimum deal will earn in a year more than 80% of the workforce. As such they look for more ativities deemed high end. Buffalo has great restaurants and bars but they lack the club scene found in Chicago amd NY or LA. And before anyone feels butt hurt Inlive in Chicago and prefer the style of night life in Buffalo. A young player like Panarin might find it lacking. Kyle thought it was a great place to raise a family. If the player is from Toronto it is close to home and they can indulge in the offseason. The biggest drawback imho opinion is that players in larger cities have opportunities to make more money off the ice than in Buffalo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NFL Agents Poll: Best, worst spots for free agents

And the Bottom 5:
1. Buffalo, 12 votes
2. Oakland, 11
3. Cincinnati, 8
4. Detroit, 7
5. Cleveland, 6

------

Rust Belt cities in general did poorly in our survey. Cincinnati, Detroit and Cleveland all made the Bottom 5, and Indianapolis, despite having a healthy Andrew Luck and a seemingly upward trajectory on the field, received just three votes for the Top 5. Agents said each city is judged to have a boring nightlife, according to the players. “Weather and [sex] are huge factors,” one agent said.

------

As for Buffalo, the least enticing free-agent destination in the NFL according to our poll, only three agents didn’t have the Bills in their Bottom 5. Weather and a recent history of losing were two big factors, but the city had at least one supporter among the agents polled. “I think they’re turning things around in Buffalo,” he said. “That regime is doing things the right way.”

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Buffalo is a complete dump. Inept local and state government, no nightlife whatsoever. nothing to do. A couple museums (LOL)

Yeah, a rich millionaire mid 20 something is going to go to Albright Knox every weekend :sarcasm:

The weather is absolutely awful. The streets are never plowed. The driving in the city during/after a storm compared to the suburbs is a joke. Potholes on every street. Both the East and West Side of the city is a ghetto and the North and South Buffalo area is becoming that way.

Pretty much there is 5% of the city worth anything and that is where the rich people are all clustered (Nottingham, Lincoln, Middlesex etc)

The guys married with families may like it but any free agent who wants to enjoy the nightlife will avoid this city like the plague. Even Clevelands nightlife looks like NYC compared to Buffalo. There are literally 3 nightlife spots (Allen, Elmwood and Chippewa) and all three are nothing special.

No surprise that we are only ahead of Winnipeg in these polls every time.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't understand the 'weather' issue. If yo come from a traditional hockey location,then Buffalo is no worse. In fact there are beautiful areas not far away where lots of people take advantage of snow activities,so much fun to be had if your into it.
Also, these players are travelling 8 months of the year,so who cares where you live? The off season can be anywhere in the world,not like they can't afford it!
The Sabres games are great to go to,I'm a Leaf homer ,but I live closer to Buffalo and enjoy the lower priced seats as well as the music scene after on some nights. I don't go as much any more,cuz i'm gettin on ...but it's always been fun for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad