How much does Backlund make in next contract?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I like the sounds of a 4 x 4. He really has to prove himself this year. He'll get a raise no matter what, but depending on how he plays this year is what will make him get a 2.5m-4.5m contract.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I say unless he steps up his production this year they should keep him at the exact same. He is a first-round selection, defensive center who is supposed to create some offense. His point total should be somewhere between Bergeron and Kopitar (Bergeron was a second round selection), but he can't even do that.

I might be one of the only people on this board that still thinks Backlund will be a career 3rd line center. I'm sorry, but a first or second line center should not be barely .5 PPG.

I sincerely hope he gets better, though, or even continues the pace he was on at the end of the year. I really, really do.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I say unless he steps up his production this year they should keep him at the exact same. He is a first-round selection, defensive center who is supposed to create some offense. His point total should be somewhere between Bergeron and Kopitar (Bergeron was a second round selection), but he can't even do that.

I might be one of the only people on this board that still thinks Backlund will be a career 3rd line center. I'm sorry, but a first or second line center should not be barely .5 PPG.

I sincerely hope he gets better, though, or even continues the pace he was on at the end of the year. I really, really do.

I view him as an excellent 3rd line center, and a good 2nd line center. If he doesn't step up his game this year, I'd offer roughly the same as what Stajan got. If he wants more, then goodbye.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Using Bergeron as an example and basically making a generalization saying every defensive center drafted in the 2nd round or better is a bit extreme, no? You're talking about elite players here.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg were drafted in the 6 and 7th rounds respectively and to make generalizations based on drafted positions is tough. I think all draft position can be used for is "rough" indication of what percentage a guy has of becoming an NHL'er in a given round.

I think at this point, most would agree that Backs is a excellent 2-way center, that can play anywhere up and down in your lineup and is trending upwards. I'm glad he's a Flame.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Using Bergeron as an example and basically making a generalization saying every defensive center drafted in the 2nd round or better is a bit extreme, no? You're talking about elite players here.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg were drafted in the 6 and 7th rounds respectively and to make generalizations based on drafted positions is tough. I think all draft position can be used for is "rough" indication of what percentage a guy has of becoming an NHL'er in a given round.

I think at this point, most would agree that Backs is a excellent 2-way center, that can play anywhere up and down in your lineup and is trending upwards. I'm glad he's a Flame.

I swear Hox, ever since you've switched your name, we've agreed on a lot of things.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Maybe I suddenly got Johnny's hockey IQ? :laugh:

tumblr_ljb5cxKqS11qixleeo1_500.gif

JulianHopper*

Mikael Backlund

I have to agree with what's been posted in this thread so far, so between $3-$4M for 3-4 years.

The Flames will probably use Matt Stajan, who they got at a bargain as a measuring stick for Backlund's contact.

So by that it will probably be $3-$3.5 for 3 years unless of course Backlund scores 30 this year and isn't traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad