How much do GMs work together?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You see a lot of teams trading with each other frequently, a tight network and many have worked together before. I wonder if something would happen where, for example, Detroit would sign Daley and there would be an understanding that if Detroit wasn't in a playoff spot, Dallas would have first right of refusal on any trade. You look at a lot of trades and are like, WTF, we could have easily offered more and we really needed that guy!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah if that happens about 99.9% of gms need to be fired

They probably call first but they should/usually take the better offer

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's a good ol boys club. Your success as a GM depends on your ability to harbor and nurture those relationships. If every GM was the bloothbath GM HFBoards suggests GMGM be during the ED, you'd never see a trade and there'd be offer sheets galore.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
It's a good ol boys club. Your success as a GM depends on your ability to harbor and nurture those relationships. If every GM was the bloothbath GM HFBoards suggests GMGM be during the ED, you'd never see a trade and there'd be offer sheets galore.

Yeah it really is too bad. Burke v Lowe ruined the idea of an offer sheet.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Would it be fair to say they'd take a slightly lesser offer from a colleague than a competitor with the thought it would pay off bigger down the road?

I think so, especially with GMs who are frequent trade partners (and not necessarily with the same organizations).

We, as fans, only get to hear about the tail end of transactions. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and for how long, but I've seen interviews on many occasions where GMs says sometimes deals take months or even years to come together and not the weeks or days we typically think it does. It wouldn't surprise me if GMs threw in lobsided offers to sweeten another deal in the making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad