How Much Better Is Dallas Now?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Being a stars fan, I'm super pumped with our offseason so far, but I'm curious to see what the average hockey fan thinks of them.

I see no reason why they couldn't be as lethal as they were in 2015-2016 given Hitchcock (and his defensive structure & special teams help) + Bishop + Methot + Hanzal + Radulov (hopefully)

I think it'll boil down to how well they youngsters from last year mature into NHL'ers. Honka is the real deal.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Regarding Bishop, I can't imagine he doesn't steal more games than Niemi/Lehtonen, so that's a plus. Personally, I've never been sold on Hanzal, but I think Methot will bring a defensive presence they've needed for the last few seasons.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Goaltending is much better, but I wouldn't plan the parade because of 30 year old Hanzal and 32 year old Methot.

That being said, their goaltending alone makes them challenge for a playoff spot.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think Dallas has an interesting roster. Adding one of my favorite players from last season (Pitlick) certainly helps in my Oil coloured eyes.

I look forward to seeing how they do. Especially if they can snag Radulov.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Hitchcock is probably going to be the most impactful acquisition, but we are still lacking some torches to burn villages down.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
[mod]

Dallas is a potential playoff team now. Will have to wait and see how the rest plays out though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They've improved a lot that's for sure.

However i don't really know where they stand right now. Obvious playoff candidate, but i still see a lot of question marks.

Adding Hanzal was great, but how will the forward group look like behind Benn and Seguin? Apparently Spezza is bad on the wing, and if so it raises the question if Spezza is still their 2C does Faksa move to the wing despite doing a good job as their 3C, and can they get the most out of Spezza? I don't see a whole lot of skill on the wings.

Hanzal, Roussel, Pitlick, Janmark, Ritchie etc. all bring their own element to the mix and makes their offense competitive but is the secondary scoring going to be at a level you need, especially when implementing a more of a defensive system with Hitch?

And despite adding Methot, their defense still looks a bit suspect. Does Lindell take the next step, what about Honka, is Johns going to improve..

I think Bishop will do a good job for them so that's a big positive.

But overall i think the Stars have a lot of question marks.. They're going to need most if not all of their young players that have been around the team now to step up and make a bigger impact. Otherwise this team to me is looking at a quick playoff exit, if they even make it. West is going to be packed with good teams and they can't all get in. Kings can't be as bad as they were last year when they're healthy. All the teams that made the playoffs this year either improved, stayed about the same or took a minor step back. Even the Coyotes in my mind are a dark horse with Stepan, Hammer and Strome added to the mix. Not going to be easy.

IF they add Radulov, that would make the Stars playoff bound in my mind, and add them that xtra punch to make some serious noise in the playoffs, but as it stands i don't think they have enough to make me say this team will make the playoffs 100%. Still need to have a great season.

And players aside, it'll be interesting how it's going to work out with Hitchcock. It's always a possibility it doesn't, especially when your leading players are the likes of Seguin, Benn and Spezza that thrive on offense. Dallas can't waste a whole lot of time going through learning pains trying to figure it out, because most of the teams in the West are set with how they play and will take advantage making it harder for the Stars down the stretch.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Dallas will go exactly as far as their defense and bishop will take them. I'm not convinced Hitch + methot + honka developing is enough to drastically improve their defense, but we'll see!

A healthy bishop could be huge for Dallas.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Offense isn't a problem with them. So as long as they can keep the puck out of their own net they should be able to jump up the standings next season and get back to where they were prior to.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you're going to ask how much better the Stars are, shouldn't you at least include a list of who is in and who is out for those of us that don't really follow the Stars?

Off the top of my head I see Bishop, Methot and Hanzal in. Niemi, Eaves (at the deadline), and oft injured forwards Hemsky, Sharp and Hudler out.

Bishop is coming off a very mediocre season. Hanzal IMO was one of the most overrated forwards in free agency. Methot, some argue he helped Karlsson look better, but one could also argue that Karlsson made him look better.

Son in the end, the goaltending is probably a little better, same with the defense. But offensively the Stars didn't gain at all. So they are moderately better on paper IMO, but now the debate would be how much did the Stars underachieve in 2016-17 (or was it overachieve in 2015-16)? I personally lean towards the latter.

So my guess, is they will be in the mix for a playoffs spot.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I like what they've done this off-season. Dallas is an interesting team that would be fun to watch succeed. If Radulov signs on, as well, they could be considered the favorites to win the division. But like a lot of teams, it might just come down to goaltending, so we'll see what Bishop can do.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If you're going to ask how much better the Stars are, shouldn't you at least include a list of who is in and who is out for those of us that don't really follow the Stars?

Off the top of my head I see Bishop, Methot and Hanzal in. Niemi, Eaves (at the deadline), and oft injured forwards Hemsky, Sharp and Hudler out.

Bishop is coming off a very mediocre season. Hanzal IMO was one of the most overrated forwards in free agency. Methot, some argue he helped Karlsson look better, but one could also argue that Karlsson made him look better.

Son in the end, the goaltending is probably a little better, same with the defense. But offensively the Stars didn't gain at all. So they are moderately better on paper IMO, but now the debate would be how much did the Stars underachieve in 2016-17 (or was it overachieve in 2015-16)? I personally lean towards the latter.

So my guess, is they will be in the mix for a playoffs spot.

OP didn't give a comprehensive list but he did pretty clearly include people of note who have been added.

Out:

Ruff and his unstructured, offense-heavy system

Niemi
Sharp
Eakin
Eaves
Hemsky
Hudler
Jordie Benn

In:

Hitchcock and a more structured, defensive-oriented philosophy

Bishop
Methot
Hanzal
Honka

These are the main additions and subtractions so far. It remains to be seen if Nill is finished, but as of now I don't see any way to call this offseason anything but positive for the Stars.

I can understand why an outsider looking in may not be all that impressed. As I have gotten a little older and unable to follow my team quite as much as I used to in all the minute details, Dallas looks to be a much different team. How successful they are next season mostly depends on two things IMO.

First, how do the players respond to the coaching change and altered organizational philosophy in style of play? This isn't the late 90's and Hitch isn't bringing in the trap, but he will demand a defensive accountability from him his best players that was unthinkable with Ruff. Hitch had a massive impact on Modano turning into the defensive player he became, which in no small part helped Dallas become one of the few powerhouse teams of the late 90's - early 2000's. He has spoken candidly about expecting Seguin to transform his game so that he can be a guy who can be counted on in all game situations, not just offensive ones.

Second, what kind of impact will the younger players have next season. Honka is expected to be a full timer and he looks ready. There could be growing pains or he could be a difference maker. Lindell had a very good rookie year; how does he build on that and continue to improve? Shore and Faksa are different types of players, but both are solid bets to improve on their nearly identical 33 point seasons last year. Faksa is as much of a "rock" as you can get from a young player. He plays a heavy game and does all the little things and attention to defensive detail we need more of in Dallas.

Personally, I think they underachieved last year and overachieved somewhat the year before. I'm not ready to talk playoffs yet by any means but the team seems better right now. If they were to add Radulov I think they get put into the "definitely should make the playoffs" category.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Being a stars fan, I'm super pumped with our offseason so far, but I'm curious to see what the average hockey fan thinks of them.

I see no reason why they couldn't be as lethal as they were in 2015-2016 given Hitchcock (and his defensive structure & special teams help) + Bishop + Methot + Hanzal + Radulov (hopefully)

I think it'll boil down to how well they youngsters from last year mature into NHL'ers. Honka is the real deal.

If you manage to sign Radulov(which is doubtfull as of Radulov's last tweet) you might get the best line in the league. But what about the D?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Dallas always has great potential, in primis because they have Benn/Seguin. But it seems a bit like a Jekyll and Hyde team: they could perform greatly or suck greatly, who knows what team will show up in 17-18. Toss of the coin situation. Though, without Lindy I am leaning more towards the Stars having a good season. I don't think that they will be Cup contenders though.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Offense isn't a problem with them. So as long as they can keep the puck out of their own net they should be able to jump up the standings next season and get back to where they were prior to.

Funny, with Hitchcock coming in as well as Methot and Bishop + progression from young dmen such as Honka, Johns and Lindell, they should be pretty strong defensively.

However, offense is a real problem after Benn and Seguin. Hanzal has nothing left in the tank, Spezza is okay but getting up there in age, Ritchie still an unknown. That leaves Roussel, Faksa and a bunch of 4th liners. Janmark didn't even play last year.

As of right now, they'll finish 9th or 10th in the West, in my opinion. But add a key scorer (James Neal? Radulov?) to the top-6 and they might squeeze in.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Funny, with Hitchcock coming in as well as Methot and Bishop + progression from young dmen such as Honka, Johns and Lindell, they should be pretty strong defensively.

However, offense is a real problem after Benn and Seguin. Hanzal has nothing left in the tank, Spezza is okay but getting up there in age, Ritchie still an unknown. That leaves Roussel, Faksa and a bunch of 4th liners. Janmark didn't even play last year.

As of right now, they'll finish 9th or 10th in the West, in my opinion. But add a key scorer (James Neal? Radulov?) to the top-6 and they might squeeze in.

Come on, they have to be better than 9 or 10 in east. Bishop, Benn and Seguin alone will drag them to the playoffs

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
OP didn't give a comprehensive list but he did pretty clearly include people of note who have been added.

Out:

Ruff and his unstructured, offense-heavy system

Niemi
Sharp
Eakin
Eaves
Hemsky
Hudler
Jordie Benn

In:

Hitchcock and a more structured, defensive-oriented philosophy

Bishop
Methot
Hanzal
Honka

These are the main additions and subtractions so far. It remains to be seen if Nill is finished, but as of now I don't see any way to call this offseason anything but positive for the Stars.

I can understand why an outsider looking in may not be all that impressed. As I have gotten a little older and unable to follow my team quite as much as I used to in all the minute details, Dallas looks to be a much different team. How successful they are next season mostly depends on two things IMO.

First, how do the players respond to the coaching change and altered organizational philosophy in style of play? This isn't the late 90's and Hitch isn't bringing in the trap, but he will demand a defensive accountability from him his best players that was unthinkable with Ruff. Hitch had a massive impact on Modano turning into the defensive player he became, which in no small part helped Dallas become one of the few powerhouse teams of the late 90's - early 2000's. He has spoken candidly about expecting Seguin to transform his game so that he can be a guy who can be counted on in all game situations, not just offensive ones.

Second, what kind of impact will the younger players have next season. Honka is expected to be a full timer and he looks ready. There could be growing pains or he could be a difference maker. Lindell had a very good rookie year; how does he build on that and continue to improve? Shore and Faksa are different types of players, but both are solid bets to improve on their nearly identical 33 point seasons last year. Faksa is as much of a "rock" as you can get from a young player. He plays a heavy game and does all the little things and attention to defensive detail we need more of in Dallas.

Personally, I think they underachieved last year and overachieved somewhat the year before. I'm not ready to talk playoffs yet by any means but the team seems better right now. If they were to add Radulov I think they get put into the "definitely should make the playoffs" category.

Thanks, I forgot about the coaching change and the departures of Eakin and Jordie. If t's anything like the Flames last year, expect a month to a month and a half of an adjustment period changing to a more accountable system.

I would also agree with both underachieving this past year and overachieving the one before. I'm not sure they make the playoffs next year, but I think they will at least be within single digits of the post-season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I really think their biggest acquisition is Hitchcock. He will help that team so much. Even with Methot acquired, that is a pretty thin D to say the least. His defensive system will help with shots against and the GA and make the D look better.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Anyone care to give a projected lineup?

Something like

Benn - Seguin - xxx
Janmark - Hanzal - Spezza
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
Cracknell - Shore - Pitlick
McKenzie - Flynn

Methot - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Honka
Lindell - Johns
Pateryn/Nemeth/Oleksaik

Bishop
Lehts

There main problem was defending and the PK, with the new players, Bishop and Hitchcock they should easily fix those two problems.

Yeah they don't have the offensive they did two years ago, but they still have lots of guys who can score. Janmark, Shore, Ritchie, Faksa and even Pitlick should all get anywhere from 10-20 goals

Another thing different last year was both Benn and Seguin were still hurt/recovering from off season injuries. Benn didn't even practice with the team for the first month of the season

The central once again looks strong, so it's anyone's guess

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad