How Many Teams Should make the ATD Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Why?

Everyone gets a say as it should be. We'll go with the version that has the most votes.

Honestly, if the ATD had a better track record of seeing upsets happen, 4 teams would make sense. But I just don't understand the need for a 1 vs 4 when I don't think a 4 has ever beaten a 1.

What is the point of having an extra round if the match ups are all just doing to be decided in the direction of the team seeded #1. Because that's how the ATD has gone over the many years. Why would a person vote a team #1 this weekend for regular season and then turn around next week and vote for the team they seeded 4th over the team they put #1?

Like i said, I'm more than happy to run this at 4 teams per division. I just want to have a definitive answer.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And frankly I wouldn't have a problem with running a consolation bracket with teams seeded 3 and 4.

We've talked about this before. It would give us a way to include almost all the teams but shorten the overall length of the playoff process.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Upsets rarely occur in a 20 team draft, but in a 40 team draft? I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd seed come out of a division at all. (4th seed winning is unlikely but did occur many years ago at least twice).

4 teams is best.

Consolation brackets are a waste of time

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
If I wanted to witness a virtually irrelevant opening phase, I'd watch reruns of pool play in the Winter Olympics...

That goes doubly so for the Divisions that contain abandoned positions.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If I wanted to witness a virtually irrelevant opening phase, I'd watch reruns of pool play in the Winter Olympics...

That goes doubly so for the three Divisions that contain abandoned positions.

Another GREAT point.

There are numerous rosters that were constructed well after the fact so I just don't see the point in having a team that got abandoned in round 15 going up against a 1 seed. That's a waste of time IMO.

Again, I'm NOT going to be upset if we do 4 teams. I just want people to vote so we have a consensus. I didn't take over commish duties until well after the draft started so please don't put a target on my back for this process not being ironed out in the first place. It's been a crazy year for everyone and to be frank, I'm glad this ATD happened because it's been an excellent distraction and led me to get back into some serious investigative work.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
The main question - would people, who voted for 4 teams, vote for the whole playoff?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... most GMs either stop voting after their team is eliminated, or vote until the end.
That sounds about right.

Sometimes one is disgusted by the results falling FAAAAR from expectations.

Sometimes one shrugs and admits draft mistakes and sticks around,... why not?

Remember: the draft itself is the cake, the playoffs is just the icing. :) The point of it all is not to win, but to draft well, to honor and appreciate hockey history through the fun process of drafting.

"Like" this post if you feel me!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And i think we can pretty much shut the door on this.

4 teams it is and to be honest I do like 32 teams as it will provide more time to evaluate rosters and get discussion in hopefully.

Turnout and participation has been fantastic so far and it may just well carry over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad