How many teams could the NHL theoretically support?

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Honestly I was against Winnipeg as well. I thought there were other just as deserving Canadian markets. But when a team has to lose a team like Atlanta had to I always feel if a team has to go I like to see a new market have a chance instead of rob one team to bring back a failed team. Unless the team was like moved pre 75 or something like really old because the market wasn't the same then.

First of all that was the second NHL Team Atlanta lost...

n May 2011, the Thrashers were sold to Canadian-based ownership group True North Sports & Entertainment. The group moved the franchise to Winnipeg, Manitoba, which became the second incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets. The sale and relocation were approved by the NHL on June 21, 2011.[1] With the sale and relocation of the team, Atlanta became the first city in the NHL's modern era to have two ice hockey teams relocate to different cities. In both cases, the team moved from Atlanta to Canada; the city's previous NHL team (the Atlanta Flames) moved to Calgary, Alberta, in 1980 to become the Calgary Flames.

Sale and relocation[edit]
Due to financial losses and ownership struggles, the team was frequently a target of relocation rumors. In later years, reports saw the team courted by suitors intending to relocate to Kansas City; Quebec City; Hamilton, Ontario, or Winnipeg.[8][9][9] On January 22, 2011, the team's ownership group claimed it had lost US$130 million in the last six years, partially as a result of an ongoing lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin.[10] In February 2011, majority owner Michael Gearon stated that the team would be seeking new investors.[11] Various local groups announced their intent to purchase the franchise and keep it in Atlanta,[12][13] but ultimately the team was sold to the Canadian group True North Sports & Entertainment.

Wikinews has related news: Atlanta Thrashers sold to True North Sports and Entertainment, moving to Winnipeg
On May 16, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that talks for a sale to True North Sports & Entertainment were underway.[14] According to The Globe and Mail, a deal was finalized on May 20, 2011, to relocate the team to Winnipeg.[15] The League later denied the report, but acknowledged that advanced negotiations between the two teams were underway and that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman supported the move.[16] Draft schedules were prepared that accommodated for the team's move to Winnipeg,[17] as True North sought to move the American Hockey League (AHL) team that played in Manitoba, eventually moving that team to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Atlantic Canada.[18]
On May 31, 2011, True North Sports & Entertainment and the NHL held a press conference in Winnipeg to announce the completion of a deal to purchase the Thrashers. True North intended to relocate the team to the MTS Centre in Winnipeg and on June 21, 2011, both the sale and relocation of the team were formally approved by the NHL's Board of Governors. The Atlanta Spirit Group, however, retained the rights and logos for the Thrashers.[19]

Deserving doesn't matter they either show a profit or not...

So its Ok for Atlanta to had a shot at a second team but not Winnipeg?

So I gather then that the Winnipeg Jets have now proven what was thought wrong then?

Cheers...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
First of all that was the second NHL Team Atlanta lost...

n May 2011, the Thrashers were sold to Canadian-based ownership group True North Sports & Entertainment. The group moved the franchise to Winnipeg, Manitoba, which became the second incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets. The sale and relocation were approved by the NHL on June 21, 2011.[1] With the sale and relocation of the team, Atlanta became the first city in the NHL's modern era to have two ice hockey teams relocate to different cities. In both cases, the team moved from Atlanta to Canada; the city's previous NHL team (the Atlanta Flames) moved to Calgary, Alberta, in 1980 to become the Calgary Flames.

Sale and relocation[edit]
Due to financial losses and ownership struggles, the team was frequently a target of relocation rumors. In later years, reports saw the team courted by suitors intending to relocate to Kansas City; Quebec City; Hamilton, Ontario, or Winnipeg.[8][9][9] On January 22, 2011, the team's ownership group claimed it had lost US$130 million in the last six years, partially as a result of an ongoing lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin.[10] In February 2011, majority owner Michael Gearon stated that the team would be seeking new investors.[11] Various local groups announced their intent to purchase the franchise and keep it in Atlanta,[12][13] but ultimately the team was sold to the Canadian group True North Sports & Entertainment.

Wikinews has related news: Atlanta Thrashers sold to True North Sports and Entertainment, moving to Winnipeg
On May 16, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that talks for a sale to True North Sports & Entertainment were underway.[14] According to The Globe and Mail, a deal was finalized on May 20, 2011, to relocate the team to Winnipeg.[15] The League later denied the report, but acknowledged that advanced negotiations between the two teams were underway and that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman supported the move.[16] Draft schedules were prepared that accommodated for the team's move to Winnipeg,[17] as True North sought to move the American Hockey League (AHL) team that played in Manitoba, eventually moving that team to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Atlantic Canada.[18]
On May 31, 2011, True North Sports & Entertainment and the NHL held a press conference in Winnipeg to announce the completion of a deal to purchase the Thrashers. True North intended to relocate the team to the MTS Centre in Winnipeg and on June 21, 2011, both the sale and relocation of the team were formally approved by the NHL's Board of Governors. The Atlanta Spirit Group, however, retained the rights and logos for the Thrashers.[19]

Deserving doesn't matter they either show a profit or not...

So its Ok for Atlanta to had a shot at a second team but not Winnipeg?

So I gather then that the Winnipeg Jets have now proven what was thought wrong then?

Cheers...
I haven't said the franchise has done anything wrong... I don't think Atlanta should have lost a team twice either...

I'd prefer no team ever gets stripped period but if they donthe should have to wait 30-50years to show you can fix it. I just don't like teams being taken from deserving fans. I'd rather see the team go bankrupt and a new team created.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I haven't said the franchise has done anything wrong... I don't think Atlanta should have lost a team twice either...

I'd prefer no team ever gets stripped period but if they donthe should have to wait 30-50years to show you can fix it. I just don't like teams being taken from deserving fans. I'd rather see the team go bankrupt and a new team created.[/QUOTE

But that would hurt the NHL Owners...

They were being sued and losing money because of it...

Bankruptcy is never an option...

Deserving Fans are also located in Winnipeg and wherever Jets fans live...

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
But that would hurt the NHL Owners...

They were being sued and losing money because of it...

Bankruptcy is never an option...

Deserving Fans are also located in Winnipeg and wherever Jets fans live...

If Winnipeg fans harassing and belittling other fans and picking on them relentlessly with a snot nosed entitlement, and then continuing to tear them down after they lose their team, AND still harassing fans in Arizona after they have a team again is deserving....

I have no respect for the hockey community there and it's a shame that anyone had to lose their team for the NHL to be in that place. I look forward to every good player on this years team bolting as soon as they hit free agency.

Reactions: cptjeff

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If new franchises join after Seattle, they might need to change playoff-format, and maybe include one more round, with top teams going straight to second round. 16 playoff teams in a league of 36 teams, for example, is not good.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Honestly, the NHL should expand to as many cities as possible and financially readable. At the end of they day the NHL is an entertainment product in a world with increasing amounts of good entertainment out there. This ranges from movies to tv shows to apps on the phone. Getting into more markets and causing more kids to be interested in becoming hockey players will lead to an expanded talent base. It will just take time. Hockey is already one of the least popular sports in america, and the nhl should be looking to change that. In addition the NFL cant stop hurting its own product in recent years so there is an opportunity to bring new fans to the sport by being, at least in comparison, a controversy free league.

I think that after Seattle the NHL will stand pat for a few years, but they should be looking to expand if both new teams are succesful. Relocate floundering franchises yes. But expanding is a good thing for me. Scheduling, travel and logistics, and division formats will work themselves out.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think more than 32 becomes too much. Honestly, I think more than 30 is too much. That's just my opinion though. At some point schedules are going to turn into a mess, the games played will either go up or down, and if teams keep being added, then there probably won't be a future of inter conference games in the regular season.
I think the NHL has already over extended. The talent gets watered down too much bringing in more teams.

Reactions: dkhockey

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
A 42 Team NHL in 2100

Atlantic Division

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City
Hamilton
Halifax

Northeast Division
New York
New York
New Jersey
Buffalo
Boston
Hartford

Metropolitan Division
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington
Columbus
Detroit
Baltimore

Southeast Division
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida
Dallas
Houston
Austin

Midwest Division
St Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nashville
Kansas City

Pacific Division
Seattle
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Portland

Southwest Division
Los Angeles
Anaheim
San Jose
Colorado
Phoenix
Las Vegas

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If new franchises join after Seattle, they might need to change playoff-format, and maybe include one more round, with top teams going straight to second round. 16 playoff teams in a league of 36 teams, for example, is not good.

I am pretty sure that the NHL had 16 playoff teams in a 21 team league at one time. Having about 1/2 the teams is okay. Sixteen out of 36 works out to 44.4%. The NFL has 12 out of 32 (37.5%). The NBA takes 16 out of 30 (53%). MLB 10 out of 30 (33%).

I think that 32 is the limit. It might go to 36, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Right now attendance is pretty good across the league minus a small handful of teams. If they were to expand I would want to see teams in Hamilton and Quebec City in Canada. In the USA I would like to see teams in Portland, San Diego and Houston.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Well Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Montreal should be relegated to the AHL and Florida should be relocated because nobody goes to the games.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
If Winnipeg fans harassing and belittling other fans and picking on them relentlessly with a snot nosed entitlement, and then continuing to tear them down after they lose their team, AND still harassing fans in Arizona after they have a team again is deserving....

I have no respect for the hockey community there and it's a shame that anyone had to lose their team for the NHL to be in that place. I look forward to every good player on this years team bolting as soon as they hit free agency.

Ok...

Your in for a rude surprise...

tenor.gif

Reactions: dukeofjive

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Don't paint us all with the same brush zetastrike. There are those of us here that support the idea of having teams in the southern markets and want to see them do well. I'm a Jets fan and I want to see the Coyotes stay in Arizona. Hockey is a great sport and I hope all NHL markets prosper. Of course there's going to be dissenting views and there are some jerks on both sides of the border. However, don't write off all of us in Winnipeg because of a minority of individuals that are rude and ignorant toward other markets.

:jets

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
If the NHL weill ever be entertaining again, it Needs to Cut the League Down. I would say 12 teams would make for high intensity. Get rid of nonsense American markets like Anahiem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad