How many rookies in 2016/2017?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Very curious to see how many rookies make the big club in 2016/2017. Should be first big test of the new develop in the minors strategy.

With all the one year deals given this summer, coupled with the fact some of our top prospects should be ready to graduate, could be a huge crop of rookies next year. Obviously anything could happen this year, but if everything goes as planned several prospects will be ready to graduate and there will likely be several openings.

So who makes the big squad next year?

Forwards
Nylander - almost a guarantee, may get time this year after deadline.
Marner - will definitely be too good for OHL next season, and can't play in AHL.
Kapenen - with a good year, will likely be right there. Was disappointed he didn't stick in Pittsburgh last year.
Brown - great rookie season in AHL, does he need two more years in AHL or just one?
Leivo - will be make or break season this season. I believe he will no longer be waiver eligible after this season.
Hyman/Bailey - both of them already 23 years old.
Soshnikov - 21 years old - doubt he came over to play multiple years with Marlies.

Dmen
Harrington - was close to being an NHLer last year
Percy - see above
Granberg - not sure if he still fits direction of club, possible Robidas replacement, or 7th dman going forward?

Side question - What is Granberg and Carrick's waiver eligibility this year? Any website out there cover this?

Seems very unlikely the Leafs ice 5+ rookies next year, but how do you keep some of these guys down? Is it the plan to ice a young squad in 16/17 with all the one year deals given this summer? Thoughts?

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Very curious to see how many rookies make the big club in 2016/2017. Should be first big test of the new develop in the minors strategy.

With all the one year deals given this summer, coupled with the fact some of our top prospects should be ready to graduate, could be a huge crop of rookies next year. Obviously anything could happen this year, but if everything goes as planned several prospects will be ready to graduate and there will likely be several openings.

Forwards
Marner - will definitely be too good for OHL next season, and can't play in AHL.
Kapenen - with a good year, will likely be right there. Was disappointed he didn't stick in Pittsburgh last year.
Brown - great rookie season in AHL, does he need two more years in AHL or just one?
Leivo - will be make or break season this season. I believe he will no longer be waiver eligible after this season.
Soshnikov - 21 years old - doubt he came over to play multiple years with Marlies.

Dmen
Percy - see above
Granberg - not sure if he still fits direction of club, possible Robidas replacement, or 7th dman going forward?

Side question - What is Granberg and Carrick's waiver eligibility this year? Any website out there cover this?

Seems very unlikely the Leafs ice 5+ rookies next year, but how do you keep some of these guys down? Is it the plan to ice a young squad in 16/17 with all the one year deals given this summer? Thoughts?

Percy is a no-brainer. He'll be up a lot this year.

Another guy I see coming up (maybe not full-time) after this season is Gauthier.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Percy is a no-brainer. He'll be up a lot this year.

Another guy I see coming up (maybe not full-time) after this season is Gauthier.

Yeah, I think Percy will be up this year.

For next year, total guesses here, but:

Nylander - for sure
Marner/Kapanan - 50/50 next year.....of course, this season will tell us a lot
Soshnikov - I can see him up this year....next year for sure
Hyman/Bailey - I can see them both coming up this year (based on how they came here and what we know about them)
Leivo - At some point this year
Brown - next year?
Harrington - I really don't know....this or next year
Granberg - no idea!

No clue about Loov either.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
For 2017?
Forwards
Nylander - Makes the team
Marner - Makes the team in 2018
Kapenen - 2018
Brown - Makes the team
Leivo - Still on Marlies
Hyman/Bailey - One makes the team
Soshnikov - Makes the team

Dmen
Harrington - Makes the team
Percy - Makes the team
Granberg - Traded

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Nylander, brown, marner, Percy should be locks

Dermott, Johnson, Lepisic, Harrington are maybes

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
For 2017?
Forwards
Nylander - Makes the team
Marner - Makes the team in 2018
Kapenen - 2018
Brown - Makes the team
Leivo - Still on Marlies
Hyman/Bailey - One makes the team
Soshnikov - Makes the team

Dmen
Harrington - Makes the team
Percy - Makes the team
Granberg - Traded

It's easy to say Marner makes the team in 2018, but where is he going to play in 2017? He scored 2 pts/game as a 17 year old in the OHL, does he really need two more seasons down there? IMO he's the second biggest lock to make the team next year, as there is virtually no chance he goes back to junior. Outside chance Europe (Swiss league) starts to be a viable option for some of these guys too good for the CHL, but can't play in the AHL. Heard Ehlers in WPG will likely be in this boat this summer.

On Leivo, if he doesn't make the team next summer, or struggles this season, he's likely gone. IIRC he won't be waiver eligible 2016/2017 season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would be smart to see how far along Nylander, Brown, Leivo and Percy can come this year. Maybe Soshnikov too, he looked very good at the tournament. Leivo and Percy aren't that young. Percy probably has more rope, but with so many high end forward flooding the system, Leivo's days could be numbered if he doesn't make it. Nylander is a bit ahead of schedule, Brown could be either or. This eases the burden of trying to bring up 10 guys in 2017, which isn't realistic.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I would say a lot of guys in OP will get an audition after this years trade deadline. I cant imagine management thinking they are all ready for next season. Maybe 2 or 3 of them. Nylander, Harrington & Percy seem the most likely to me. If management thinks those guys need more time with the Marlies I don't think they'll hesitate to sign more vets to 1 year deals or PTOs

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
To answer the OP's question, Granberg and Carrick both need to pass through waivers this season to be sent down. However, Granberg is out until December at the earliest with a torn achilles and i doubt anyone would pick him up knowing how long it would take for him to get back into it

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Forwards

Dmen
Percy - see above

Not sure if that is correct on Marner. So next season he is unable to play in the AHL only NHL or OHL? I could be wrong but that makes no sense. I believe the arrangement with the OHL is prospects in their first year can only play in the NHL or OHL, not two sequential years. Similar to Reilly.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Not sure if that is correct on Marner. So next season he is unable to play in the AHL only NHL or OHL? I could be wrong but that makes no sense. I believe the arrangement with the OHL is prospects in their first year can only play in the NHL or OHL, not two sequential years. Similar to Reilly.

They have to be 20 to play in the A

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It feels wrong, because it seems like a lot, but Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Brown should all be locks for the team next year (barring their development falling of a cliff). Percy I think will play a lot this year, and I don't know enough about our defense prospects to make a confident prediction.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Considering by the end of the year Nylander will have a full time roster spot (assuming bozak is gone) then I will not include him in this.

I think that next year, our defence will add both Percy and Harrington (if they're not added through this year)

Our offence will gain Marner, Brown, Leivo, and MAYBE Kapanen if he has a great year with the marlies (we don't need to rush him)

Also, depending on who we draft in 2016 we could have a chychrun or matthews to replace the spot of a harrington or a leivo. Gauthier is the only player that I see on the bubble right now.

I do not think that players such as Johnson and Leipsic and our 2015 draftees will make it to the Leafs in the 2016-2017 year

I also have never seen Soshnikov play and I won't guess on his arrival until I watch a few Marlies games.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
It feels wrong, because it seems like a lot, but Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Brown should all be locks for the team next year (barring their development falling of a cliff). Percy I think will play a lot this year, and I don't know enough about our defense prospects to make a confident prediction.

Considering by the end of the year Nylander will have a full time roster spot (assuming bozak is gone) then I will not include him in this.

I think that next year, our defence will add both Percy and Harrington (if they're not added through this year)

Our offence will gain Marner, Brown, Leivo, and MAYBE Kapanen if he has a great year with the marlies (we don't need to rush him)

Also, depending on who we draft in 2016 we could have a chychrun or matthews to replace the spot of a harrington or a leivo. Gauthier is the only player that I see on the bubble right now.

I do not think that players such as Johnson and Leipsic and our 2015 draftees will make it to the Leafs in the 2016-2017 year

I also have never seen Soshnikov play and I won't guess on his arrival until I watch a few Marlies games.

With guys like Parenteau, Arcobello, Frattin and possibly Boyes or Seto playing RW this summer, there is a chance we have 3 or 4 rookie RW next year, which would be crazy.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

I had considered those 2 as well, but think they are down the list on NHL ready prospects. They would likely be close if there wasn't so many other prospects that could be ready.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
I see at least 4 rookies being brought up. Nylander, Marner, Percy, Harrington. That or people will be traded for late picks. Example if Granberg doesn't make the team in 2016 I doubt they'll keep him as he'll be taking up a large role on the marlies so they'll flip him for any pick they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad