How many Rocket Richards Auston Matthews gonna win in his career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
How many Rocket Richards Auston Matthews gonna win in his career?

He certainly gets his 3'd Rocket this season. How many more he can win in his career?

Can he beat Ovi's 9 Rocket Richards?

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
He could have 5 already if he scored a few more goals. He finished 4 goals back in his rookie season, then he was just 1 behind before the league shutdown in 19-20.

How many more he wins from this point forward really depends on whether McDavid makes it a point to become a goal-scorer again like last season, and how Bedard develops.

Reactions: User9992

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Only 3 players in 100 years of NHL history won the goal-scoring title more than 5 times (Ovechkin, Bobby Hull, Esposito).

If Matthews wins 2 more after this one, that already will put him in a very elite company (Howe, Richard, Gretzky, Conacher).

Besides, Matthews will be 27 at the start of the next season, and almost all goal-scorers decline a lot after 30 (for example, Gretzky won his last goal-scoring title at 26, Brett Hull won his last one at 27, Selanne at 28).

So I would predict two more Rockets for Matthews not including the current one. and that assumes a lot of things going right for him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Connor Bedard is looming. Generational talent, and unlike Crosby/McDavid who are more balanced offensive threat, he seems like he's going to score a ton of goals.

So I think Bedard could soon become Matthews biggest threat.

Ill say Matthews wins 2 or 3 more, so finishes with 5 or 6 rockets.

I think Matthews has a much greater chance of surpassing Ovechkin's career goal totals than his number of rockets.

Last thing - I honestly wouldnt be shocked to see Ovechkin make one last run at a rocket next season, and go for 10. Probably misses, but I could see him score 50+ just to beat the record on a high.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Connor Bedard is looming. Generational talent, and unlike Crosby/McDavid who are more balanced offensive threat, he seems like he's going to score a ton of goals.

So I think Bedard could soon become Matthews biggest threat.

Ill say Matthews wins 2 or 3 more, so finishes with 5 or 6 rockets.

I think Matthews has a much greater chance of surpassing Ovechkin's career goal totals than his number of rockets.

Last thing - I honestly wouldnt be shocked to see Ovechkin make one last run at a rocket next season, and go for 10. Probably misses, but I could see him score 50+ just to beat the record on a high.
It will take at least 60 to beat healthy matthews n thats being conservative

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I don't think Bedard will be a threat in terms of goal scoring for Matthews, at least not in the near future. Could see him easily getting at least 2/3 more the next 5 years. After that it'll become more difficult due to age but maybe he could squeeze out one more. So I'll say 3/4 more. Probably ends up with 7-8 would be my guess.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It will take at least 60 to beat healthy matthews n thats being conservative

I was one of the very few predicting a season of 70+ goal for Matthews in the off season. So I think very highly of him

But it's not like he's going to hit 60+ every year. Eveeyone ages, or goes through ups and downs, or injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad