Speculation: How Many Points Will Gardiner Record Next Season?

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Where Gardiner's skillset could really become effective is if he can learn the whole game and start drawing/freezing players on a consistent basis to maximize his options. He isn't there yet, by a stretch, but he has the potential.

officialmark*

40-50 if playing 1st pairing with Dion.
50-60 if 1st PP minutes.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think Gardiner has a real solid season. I'll go with around 35-40 points, improved defensive game, nice chemistry with Polak (who I think he'll mostly play with), and sold progress towards becoming a good #3 dman (at the moment I'd consider him more of an OK #4, but his potential is much higher).

Kid has a lot of talent, only just turned 24 (still very young for a dman), and has only played the equivalent of 2 full NHL seasons (167 NHL games). I don't know that I'd want to play him on the top pairing with Dion now, save that spot for Robidas (if he's healthy and playing well), but I do see him being a good 2nd pairing guy for us this year.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I voted 30-40 points. If Franson is moved, he's utilised in a top pairing role, allowed to drive possession, I think beyond 40 is quite possible. Dion, if anything, will be allowed to increase his goal numbers with a solid puck mover as a partner.

On paper, we got three solid pairings. Gardiner, Rielly, and Robidas will give us a puck mover per pairing while their partner play a more stay-at-home physical/ shooter role. I can see Ranger having a strong season- if he remains - next season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think the key is for Jake - if he starts playing consistently as he did during the later 1/2 of the season right on time, he could hit an amazing number of points (including 1st PP time).

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
If Franson is gone I see no reason him and Rielly couldn't push 35 pts each, with Gardiner possibly passing 40.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not that I believe in possession stats are the end to all things, but Franson was our 3rd best possession player last year. Why get rid of him?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Not that I believe in possession stats are the end to all things, but Franson was our 3rd best possession player last year. Why get rid of him?

Because when Franson's possession ended, the puck often ended up in the back of our net.

But Franson wasn't as bad as many people (myself included) criticize him for. He's okay in a reduced role, but the "hey maybe Franson could be a top 4 guy" experiment needs to be over. Very over.

As for Gardiner, I believe his stats will look something like 2 goals, 37 assists for 39 points in 68 games and a -207 on the season, with 3 own goals and an average TOI of 27:32.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because when Franson's possession ended, the puck often ended up in the back of our net.

But Franson wasn't as bad as many people (myself included) criticize him for. He's okay in a reduced role, but the "hey maybe Franson could be a top 4 guy" experiment needs to be over. Very over.

As for Gardiner, I believe his stats will look something like 2 goals, 37 assists for 39 points in 68 games and a -207 on the season, with 3 own goals and an average TOI of 27:32.

You got my drift on this post, possession stats are a deceiving stat that cannot be trusted in a raw number, Crosby on the Pens was only 7th on his own team in possession, I think people have vastly gotten carried away with them.

The posters that praise Gardiner for his possession, in the same breath knock Franson, yet he is one of the Leafs best possession stat players.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You got my drift on this post, possession stats are a deceiving stat that cannot be trusted in a raw number, Crosby on the Pens was only 7th on his own team in possession, I think people have vastly gotten carried away with them.

The posters that praise Gardiner for his possession, in the same breath knock Franson, yet he is one of the Leafs best possession stat players.

Indeed. Individual possession numbers can be deceiving and are certainly overblown at times.

Not that possession isn't a major weakness of the Leafs, because it is. Team possession is a bit different though.

I actually voted somewhere between 20-30 points for Gardiner. I'm thinking he will be focused more on defense this year by our coaching staff, but he could end up in the low 30s.

I'm thinking the 40-50 range is being a bit optimistic.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Indeed. Individual possession numbers can be deceiving and are certainly overblown at times.

Not that possession isn't a major weakness of the Leafs, because it is. Team possession is a bit different though.

I actually voted somewhere between 20-30 points for Gardiner. I'm thinking he will be focused more on defense this year by our coaching staff, but he could end up in the low 30s.

I'm thinking the 40-50 range is being a bit optimistic.

We are in agreement here, I have been saying for months now, what we really need is better players on the team to win, when posters here have been solely obsessed what we we need more are players that drive possession. It is the catch word this summer. "possession".

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I don't really care how many points he gets because that's not the primary part of his game. I want to see him using his speed and puckhandling to get pucks out of our own zone - from goal line to centre line, so to speak, and selectively joining the rush when the opportunity presents itself. I want to see him using his anticipation (his greatest strength) to get to loose pucks. And I want him to continue developing his game on the other side of the puck.

But does he need to be Karlsson, driving deep into the other team's zone every possession and racking up point totals like he was a top six forward? No.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless of Crosby's ranking within his own team, his possession stats are still fantastic. It's another good reason why one should look at possession paired with other stats, like QoC, ect. Possession is not an end itself, it is however an indicator of success.

Good players are good at possession. Teams with good possession win games. It's very straightforward.

I'm expecting Gardiner to build where he left off last year. If he gets more power play time due to Franson being traded, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get into the mid 40s.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
When he starts to play that way is the day the Leafs should trade him cause it will be the end of him of ever becoming a player of significance the same with Rielly.

It's obvious that your an old school talent skill killing mind of hockey... Get with the times dude and learn to allow a players talents decide what they can & can't do other wise hockey would be boring with NO STAR PLAYERS.

The best part of Gardiner and why he's viewed highly is the part you keep bashing. Unless he's Doughty cause you know we turn a blind eye in that case. YOU CAN'T BECOME A STAR BY PLAYING SAFE. That's how you ruin high end talent. Gardiner needs to be deaf to people of your view point. EXPERIANCE playing his game is how he will find that medium... not by placing shackles of dumb down no talent safe hockey.

Perhaps not, but you can help your team give up fewer goals and win more games.

I prefer Gunnarson's 17 pts and +12 to Gardiner's 31 pts and -3.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Perhaps not, but you can help your team give up fewer goals and win more games.

I prefer Gunnarson's 17 pts and +12 to Gardiner's 31 pts and -3.

Yep, the bigger question to me is will Gardiner be a plus player or minus player next season? I have a feeling the Leafs will miss Gunnar.

If Granberg can step up then that may ease the pain.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, the bigger question to me is will Gardiner be a plus player or minus player next season? I have a feeling the Leafs will miss Gunnar.

If Granberg can step up then that may ease the pain.
Pollak is a much stronger solution. He was one of the positives on the Blues and that's why we paid extra to acquire him. Likewise, Robidas is going to be mighty steady in a bottom pairing role. If he can remain healthy, his puck moving ability will give us two mid-pairings.

Gardiner on the top pairing will be much better supported with two solid pairings. You round up the bottom pairing with one of Ranger ( or Granberg) and it's very steady. Moreover, our problem last season was more up front and with Kontiola, Komoarov, Santa, Holland being utilised a lot more, we're going to be a lot stronger. Our top line still has the issue with critical giveaways ( largely Bozak) so let's hope Holland can still develop into a Turris-esque centreman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad