How many points does prime Erik Karlsson get if he played on the 60s and 70s Bruins?

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Just say Bobby Orr was removed from those teams and Erik Karlsson was inserted in his place, how many points does he manage to get? Feel free to talk about how he comports himself defensively against the juggernaut offenses of the time as well.

The idea is that he's transported back via a time machine with all his mental and physical attributes exactly as they are in his prime, all while competing against players back in the day.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Well over 150. Maybe 200. The game now is so different than from 50 years ago, Karlsson would have so many tools, it'd be unfair lol

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Just say Bobby Orr was removed from those teams and Erik Karlsson was inserted in his place, how many points does he manage to get? Feel free to talk about how he comports himself defensively against the juggernaut offense of the time as well.

The idea is that he's transported back via a time machine with all his mental and physical attributes exactly as they are today, all while competing against players back in the day.

Well if there is no Orr then the game does not change the way it did. Karlsson is not Orr.

Big Punisher*

May 23, 2014
Just say Bobby Orr was removed from those teams and Erik Karlsson was inserted in his place, how many points does he manage to get? Feel free to talk about how he comports himself defensively against the juggernaut offense of the time as well.

The idea is that he's transported back via a time machine with all his mental and physical attributes exactly as they are in his prime, all while competing against players back in the day.

How many points does he get, or how many does he get as a defenceman? Because if it's the latter, the answer is zero. He doesn't have the ability to play D, and would have been shipped up to forward to take advantage of his skills.

Orr changed the game because he could be the best player on the ice while still knowing how to play in his own end. Without Orr, guys like Karlson would be wingers

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think modern NHL physical freaks are the ones that'd benefit most from the theoretical "time-machine" argument. Guys like peak Ovechkin, Lindros or Malkin.

Karlsson's best assets are his IQ and his skating. Is he better than Orr in those areas? If not, I don't think he would significantly out-perform the standard Orr set for every other defensemen.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I can't see an all-Canadian league letting the first ever Swedish NHLer cheat to create offense like Bobby Orr pioneered and Karlsson does now.

The NHL at the time was also very violent, and I can't see Karlsson's teammates sticking up for him, especially if they perceive him hanging them out to dry defensively. Borje Salming was something of a pioneer, and the fact that he was quite tough and violent himself really helped.

So it's hard to say.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Orr revolutionized the game more then any player in the history of the game. Without orr there would be no karlsson, burns, subban.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Orr revolutionized the game more then any player in the history of the game. Without orr there would be no karlsson, burns, subban.

To be fair, there were a few European defensemen who played a style kind of like Orr, though obviously nowhere near as good. The chance of them being able to play that way in a late 60s/early 70s NHL that disdained the European style of hockey is pretty small.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Well if there is no Orr then the game does not change the way it did. Karlsson is not Orr.

How many points does he get, or how many does he get as a defenceman? Because if it's the latter, the answer is zero. He doesn't have the ability to play D, and would have been shipped up to forward to take advantage of his skills.

Orr changed the game because he could be the best player on the ice while still knowing how to play in his own end. Without Orr, guys like Karlson would be wingers

I'm aware of Orr's significance, I'm merely trying to see how a guy with Karlsson's tools today would fare against the competition back then. It's implied that the Bruins would obviously use him as a defenseman because, after all, that is his best position and what allows him to be such an unreal point getter today (but this is a different debate...).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly... if using modern equipment, well over 200 if he wanted to. Using equipment of the time? Still quite a bit more than Orr did.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Does Karlsson take a time machine back into the 70s or is he born in that era? People need to stipulate this when making comparisons across eras. Of course anyone travelling by time machine would have a massive advantage.

People need to assume the greats like Richard and Orr would be privy to the same options available to today's athletes if they were playing today; nutrition, training, equipment, lifestyle lol.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Does Karlsson take a time machine back into the 70s or is he born in that era? People need to stipulate this when making comparisons across eras. Of course anyone travelling by time machine would have a massive advantage.

People need to assume the greats like Richard and Orr would be privy to the same options available to today's athletes if they were playing today; nutrition, training, equipment, lifestyle lol.

Read the latter part of the op.

Big Punisher*

May 23, 2014
It's implied that the Bruins would obviously use him as a defenseman because, after all, that is his best position and what allows him to be such an unreal point getter today (but this is a different debate...).

But it wouldn't have been at the time. He would have been converted to forward long before the Bruins, or whomever else got their hands on him.

He also would have got killed. Orr is by far the best player the sport has ever seen, but still hand to drop the gloves once and a while. You think Karlson could have survived this era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AhKTaenqQ

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...He probably wouldn't last 14 games TBH.

Because :

The NHL at the time was also very violent, and I can't see Karlsson's teammates sticking up for him, especially if they perceive him hanging them out to dry defensively. Borje Salming was something of a pioneer, and the fact that he was quite tough and violent himself really helped.

To be fair, there were a few European defensemen who played a style kind of like Orr, though obviously nowhere near as good. The chance of them being able to play that way in a late 60s/early 70s NHL that disdained the European style of hockey is pretty small.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

All it'd take are defensemen looking at him and going "why is he so darn good". They'd quickly have their answer and you'd see them stop smoking and become fitness freaks as well. Advances in how defensemen think the game might take a bit longer to catch up, but then again, the game back then was different... Karlsson's style might not immediately mesh either. I'm assuming he'd still have to listen to his 60s/70s Bruins coaches.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have this really in depth fan fiction I wrote about Erik Karlsson trying to go forward in time to see if the Sens win any cups before he re-signs but he accidentally gets sent backwards to the 1920s Senators squad. If he ever wants to get back to modern day Ottawa he has to help the older Sens win another Stanley Cup.

There's a bit of a murder mystery element to it.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
All it'd take are defensemen looking at him and going "why is he so darn good". They'd quickly have their answer and you'd see them stop smoking and become fitness freaks as well. Advances in how defensemen think the game might take a bit longer to catch up, but then again, the game back then was different... Karlsson's style might not immediately mesh either. I'm assuming he'd still have to listen to his 60s/70s Bruins coaches.

Yeah, I doubt that. I think he'd skate circles around most guys, considering he already does skate circles around most guys...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, assuming that he first use this time machine to go into the future, have all his bones replaced with adamantium, and procure some rocket powered skates, I'm going to guess somewhere in the 400+ range, per season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad