How many points do you think our top 3 players get this season?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Thomas - 74
Kyrou - 78
Buchnevich - 71

All have the talent to be 80+ point players, but the team sucks, they get hurt, and they'll be relied on the heaviest which means they'll be guarded the most.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Thomas - 74
Kyrou - 78
Buchnevich - 71

All have the talent to be 80+ point players, but the team sucks, they get hurt, and they'll be relied on the heaviest which means they'll be guarded the most.
Unless Hayes and Vrana are potent enough to draw some attention, you're not wrong.
But at least in Pre-Season, they have been. Vrana's gonna light it up if teams think they can sleep on him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Thomas, Kyrou and Buch look great. If they play all 82, this team can make the playoffs.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Unless Hayes and Vrana are potent enough to draw some attention, you're not wrong.
But at least in Pre-Season, they have been. Vrana's gonna light it up if teams think they can sleep on him.
I'm definitely hopeful for Hayes and Vrana. I think Vrana has the talent to be a 30 goal scorer, and if he's healthy, I don't see why he can't do that. Seems his spirit is pretty high and ready to leave what happened in the past behind him. Hayes I can see sniffing 55 points, but he's gotta stay healthy. He usually sits around that 45-50 point mark, and having guys like Thomas and Schenn in front of him could allow him for more opportunities. I think the biggest thing is going to be developing chemistry between linemates. There's no way Berube should ever break up Thomas-Kyrou-Buch, but I don't see a lot of potent lines chemistry wise. Hayes and Neighbours looked pretty good tonight, but it's against an awful Hawks team so I'm not reading into it that much. Where does Vrana or Kapanen slide in? I don't think they fit either line that is anchored by Hayes or Schenn just style wise. Do Blais or Sundqvist mesh well with Schenn or Hayes? Saad is usually paired with Schenn, but I'm not sure they have great chemistry, I could be wrong.

There's definitely talent on this roster, but it's like doing a raffle for this team. You got lucky with Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich, but the others don't fit in a box stylistically with each other. No, it's like playing Hut in NHL and this was your first 5 starter packs. You have 5 star chemistry on the top line and the rest is like 1.5-2 star chemistry just because they have offensive talent. Anyway, I'm not necessarily down on this team by any means, they just don't have the cohesiveness compared to the team that developed it through the 2010s.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm definitely hopeful for Hayes and Vrana. I think Vrana has the talent to be a 30 goal scorer, and if he's healthy, I don't see why he can't do that. Seems his spirit is pretty high and ready to leave what happened in the past behind him. Hayes I can see sniffing 55 points, but he's gotta stay healthy. He usually sits around that 45-50 point mark, and having guys like Thomas and Schenn in front of him could allow him for more opportunities. I think the biggest thing is going to be developing chemistry between linemates. There's no way Berube should ever break up Thomas-Kyrou-Buch, but I don't see a lot of potent lines chemistry wise. Hayes and Neighbours looked pretty good tonight, but it's against an awful Hawks team so I'm not reading into it that much. Where does Vrana or Kapanen slide in? I don't think they fit either line that is anchored by Hayes or Schenn just style wise. Do Blais or Sundqvist mesh well with Schenn or Hayes? Saad is usually paired with Schenn, but I'm not sure they have great chemistry, I could be wrong.

There's definitely talent on this roster, but it's like doing a raffle for this team. You got lucky with Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich, but the others don't fit in a box stylistically with each other. No, it's like playing Hut in NHL and this was your first 5 starter packs. You have 5 star chemistry on the top line and the rest is like 1.5-2 star chemistry just because they have offensive talent. Anyway, I'm not necessarily down on this team by any means, they just don't have the cohesiveness compared to the team that developed it through the 2010s.
Hayes has been with vrana much if not all of preseason. mostly with Blais but neighbours tonight. Have looked good.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Hayes has been with vrana much if not all of preseason. mostly with Blais but neighbours tonight. Have looked good.
Thanks for letting me know, I haven't been able to watch most of the televised preseason games besides the one tonight, so I haven't been too aware of who's looked good with who.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

As said, Hayes and Vrana have been a pair all Pre-season.
And they've looked good. Very good. Especially on the PP.

If Vrana hits 30 goals, I fully expect Hayes to top 30 assists(possibly 40). His goal total may keep him under 50 points, but that's still pretty solid 2nd line production.

This might be a case where the Saad-Schenn-KK line gets more TOI for their defensive usage, but the Hayes/Vrana line puts up more points.

It's nice to have a useful 3rd line again.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Saad and Schenn help shelter Kapanen's weak defence. Vrana's also weak on D. Hayes is okay with Vrana. Maybe Blais should be with them. I seem to remember that he plays both wings decently.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
As said, Hayes and Vrana have been a pair all Pre-season.
And they've looked good. Very good. Especially on the PP.

If Vrana hits 30 goals, I fully expect Hayes to top 30 assists(possibly 40). His goal total may keep him under 50 points, but that's still pretty solid 2nd line production.

This might be a case where the Saad-Schenn-KK line gets more TOI for their defensive usage, but the Hayes/Vrana line puts up more points.

It's nice to have a useful 3rd line again.
Yea I haven't been able to listen or watch many of the preseason games, so my statement was guesswork based on styles. If that's the case though, then we at least have two lines with some good scoring touch. I thought Neighbours looked pretty good with Hayes, so maybe a line of Neighbours-Hayes-Vrana could be sneaky good. I know Schenn and Saad are regularly paired together, but idk if they're necessarily a good fit. I'm more interested in getting Schenn points as opposed to Saad since he consistently hits 40-50 points and Schenn could hit 70 with good linemates. Overall if I take what everyone is saying, I think the offense could be good, but they'll have to keep up their pace over the whole season. ROR and Perron always elevated their games when paired with each other and Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich together is a cheat code. I'm definitely curious to see how the season pans out.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Barring injuries, I think all three of them can hit 80 points. And I'd say there's a chance that one of Kyrou or Thomas could flirt with 90, maybe something like 87 or 88 points. I think Kyrou is the most likely guy to break 90, though.

Thomas I think has another level to his game that we haven't seen yet. I'm not sure how else to put it other than I think he's reached the point where he's fully matured and is ready to really start leading this team. I think by the end of the year we will be in unanimous agreement that Thomas is our best player, unlike past seasons where there were arguments for guys like Kyrou or Buchnevich.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Barring injuries, I think all three of them can hit 80 points. And I'd say there's a chance that one of Kyrou or Thomas could flirt with 90, maybe something like 87 or 88 points. I think Kyrou is the most likely guy to break 90, though.

Thomas I think has another level to his game that we haven't seen yet. I'm not sure how else to put it other than I think he's reached the point where he's fully matured and is ready to really start leading this team. I think by the end of the year we will be in unanimous agreement that Thomas is our best player, unlike past seasons where there were arguments for guys like Kyrou or Buchnevich.

I fully agree with this. I think Kyrou hits 40+ goals, but Thomas will be THE top guy on the team. It’s his time.

Reactions: taylord22

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If Thomas can continue his higher shots/game rate from the preseason, I think he’s got a pretty decent chance at a 30 goal season assuming he plays 82 games.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think that two of Buch, Kyrou, and Thomas pace for 90 points and the other will pace for 80-85 points. Whether any of them can play the 80+ games they'll need to play to actually hit 90 is a big question mark though. Those 3 were really good together last season and have looked good together in pre-season. My gut tells me that we will run them out as a true 1st line and rely on mixing/matching forwards 4-12 all year.

Vrana looks like a high end middle 6 goal scorer. Schenn is a legit 2C. Saad is still a legit middle 6 defensive winger and Hayes is a competent offensive 3C. Kap is on the lower end of middle 6 ability, but fine as a 7th or 8th forward. Then you need to plug and play guys into the final 9F spot and the 4th line. I don't think this group gets you a world-beating middle 6 and it might not even get you an average middle 6. But I think it is good enough to avoid getting caved in completely whenever the top trio is on the bench. We'll allow a lot of goals when the top line is off the ice, but I think we will score enough to make it worthwhile to build a legit top 15 1st line in the NHL.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I think they all hit ppg+. I haven't seen it shared here, but supposedly Thomas came into camp in incredible shape. From what I saw, last year, I expect that to pay dividends individually for him and the line as a whole — particularly on the defensive side. All three were coming back hard in the zone and supporting one another, but Thomas and Buch in particular were knocking pucks down and causing all sorts of turnovers. I hope and expect to see an increase in rush/transition chances.

My only hesitation with them hitting ppg markers are lingering injuries, massive underperformance of secondary scoring, and the D continuing to have major issues getting the puck up and out. Stating the obvious with those, but...the latter point, in particular, impacted their point totals last year.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Buch - Thomas - Kyrou is going to be a nightmare for opposing teams. Have very high expectations for that line if they stay healthy and together all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad