How many players have sued Ownership and not been blackballed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
my feeling behind this, is that if he really continues on, he will be blackballed from every team in the NHL ... you DON'T SUE OWNERSHIP, period when clearly they have nothing to do with it ... sure it happened in their building but Orca Bay didn't knock Steve's spine out of whack ... or is he claiming the concrete under the ice is too hard? ... Steve you my friend are a jobber ... and you're trying to **** the league up, to where anyone can sue anybody if anyone hits another player from behind, or slashes them or knee on knee collission

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=142413&hubName=nhl

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Seamus O' Toole said:
my feeling behind this, is that if he really continues on, he will be blackballed from every team in the NHL ... you DON'T SUE OWNERSHIP, period when clearly they have nothing to do with it ... sure it happened in their building but Orca Bay didn't knock Steve's spine out of whack ... or is he claiming the concrete under the ice is too hard? ... Steve you my friend are a jobber ... and you're trying to **** the league up, to where anyone can sue anybody if anyone hits another player from behind, or slashes them or knee on knee collission

Moore's credibility was lost when 1) he hired an ambulance chaser for an attorney and decided to file a lawsuit in Denver first ($$$$) and not in British Columbia (which has limits on what can be awarded in cases of this sort). He's just making himself look dumber and dumber as the days go on. The Blackballing will happen soon enough.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dolemite said:
Moore's credibility was lost when 1) he hired an ambulance chaser for an attorney and decided to file a lawsuit in Denver first ($$$$) and not in British Columbia (which has limits on what can be awarded in cases of this sort). He's just making himself look dumber and dumber as the days go on. The Blackballing will happen soon enough.
Since he hasn't been cleared to play that maybe moot and he can justify filing in Denver because of a lack of faith in the Vancouver justice system. The limit also raises the likelihood of stalling tactics to eat up any potential award.

Fugu

Okay, where are the lawyers who can comment on Provincial laws? I always assumed that the place where a crime or incident took place was somehow relevant in deciding where a suit is filed. Furthermore, the fact that charges were filed in BC should set some 'precedent', should it not?

Moore's attornies seem to want to bring suit everywhere BUT where this happened, and in the place that seems the most legally tenable solution.

:dunno:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Fugu said:
Okay, where are the lawyers who can comment on Provincial laws? I always assumed that the place where a crime or incident took place was somehow relevant in deciding where a suit is filed. Furthermore, the fact that charges were filed in BC should set some 'precedent', should it not?

Moore's attornies seem to want to bring suit everywhere BUT where this happened, and in the place that seems the most legally tenable solution.

Under the long arm statute he has some claim to filing the suit in Colorado, the court ruled he didn't but he's elligible to appeal that ruling or refile in BC. Juristictional disputes are rather common. The New York Post tried to have Brian Burke's suit tossed on juristictional grounds as well.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Fugu said:

Yes it should that's why the case was thrown out in Denver. The main difference here is what can be awarded to Moore. He's looking out for himself and his future (even though he's nothing more than a journeman player). BC courts, compared to US courts, limit what can be awarded in damages to Moore. In US courts, as we all know, are limitless in what can be awarded in a case of this sort.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
As far as the thread title goes, blackballing isnt really an issue, is it? The entire league - both the League and the NHLPA - have decided that the attacker is more important than the victim. While everyone is bending over backwards to let Bertuzzi off, the guy who had his neck broken for no legitimate reason is being attacked.

Why on earth would he want to return to this?

Bertuzzi ended his carrer with that suckerpunch, who really gives a rats *** what the owners or the league think about his future as a hockey player?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Resolute said:
As far as the thread title goes, blackballing isnt really an issue, is it? The entire league - both the League and the NHLPA - have decided that the attacker is more important than the victim. While everyone is bending over backwards to let Bertuzzi off, the guy who had his neck broken for no legitimate reason is being attacked.

Bertuzzi ended his carrer with that suckerpunch, who really gives a rats *** what the owners or the league think about his future as a hockey player?

Imo, it's mostly because Moore didn't behave in a player like fashion that he's getting that treatment. While Bertuzzi did commit a fault, he came clear about it (pleaded guilty in court) and the players feel he's been punished for what he did.

As to Moore, well the whining and the lawsuits sure don't help him being popular with anyone, as the incident is drawing the NHL (and its revenues) into mud. Plus, Bertuzzi is more "popular" than Moore.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Seamus O' Toole said:

When sueing for damages everyone in the chain can get tagged regardless of what level of fault they may have. In business law, in the US, you buy a product and even if it is 100% your fault you were injured from using it, you can sue everyone who handled the product from the engineers, to the manufacturer, all the way down to the retailer. Which might be why they tried having the case in the States rather than Canada. I don't know Canada's tort(?) laws, and they may not be as liberal as in the U.S. When Cory Stringer (the Minnesota Vikings lineman) died a few years ago from the heat, his family went after the Vikings, the NFL, and all of the equipment manufacturers for damages, I think they may have even gone after Gaterade, or whoever the sports drink supplier may have been.

There is a resident lawyer in these boards who could explain this better, I've only had business law in the classroom a few years back.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Resolute said:

That's right, Resolute. Listen to your friend, a person who makes more money than you is better than you, and therefore beyond criticism. This is called the Worthington Law:

"More Money = Better Than"

and it's used to gauge the value of human worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad