How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
Interesting thread. over here it is entirely different. up to this point, I only know 3 other players apart from myself that play left. All the other players here seem to be right.

I believe in the beginning, everyone here believed in if you are right, shoot right. Now there are some guys that say if they had the chance to go back and learn to play left, they would have done it.

Its the same over here in England. By far the majority are right handed/shoot right, whereas I (having been brought up in a hockey family and in a hockey savvy part of the US) was always taught to play right handed/shoot left.

One of our coaches, who is Canadian, believes that so many Brits playing the 'wrong' way around may in part account for so few Brits being successful outside of this little backwater when compared to much smaller, but more hockey savvy, mainland European countries.

One wonders how much potential has been wasted due to kit buying parent's lack of knowledge, hockey stores who just want a sale (no questions asked) and poor quality coaches at the entry level who don't pick such simple mistakes up?

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Its the same over here in England. By far the majority are right handed/shoot right, whereas I (having been brought up in a hockey family and in a hockey savvy part of the US) was always taught to play right handed/shoot left.

One of our coaches, who is Canadian, believes that so many Brits playing the 'wrong' way around may in part account for so few Brits being successful outside of this little backwater when compared to much smaller, but more hockey savvy, mainland European countries.

One wonders how much potential has been wasted due to kit buying parent's lack of knowledge, hockey stores who just want a sale (no questions asked) and poor quality coaches at the entry level who don't pick such simple mistakes up?

If hockey was an immensely popular sport in Britain, people would be more knowledgeable about it and these problems wouldn't exist.

Unfortunately, it seems to take the backseat to football and rugby among several sports.

Anyway, I played in Taiwan and China before, and the locals mostly shoot right.

Back home in Canada, I'd say it's about a 7:3 split between left and right, in Taiwan it's the opposite. China is probably 4:6.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Just starting out at 38. Grew up batting right and hitting golf balls righty too. Didn't think twice about it with hockey. Bought a righty stick before any research. Now, after reading that my top hand is what does the work for stick handling I see how using my right at top would be beneficial BUT just goofing off a bit and trying to shoot lefty looked and felt pathetic for certain.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Right-handed that plays lefty in virtually every sport. Hockey, golf, baseball, you name it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There is no "wrong way" to shoot. Using your dominant hand at the bottom won't hinder your deking ability. Ilya Kovalchuk, Alex Semin, Steven Stamkos and many other are pure righties, and they can stickhandle with the best of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad