How many of Toronto's big 3 contracts are worth their cap hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Considering their struggles this season I feel it's a prudent question to ask. The big 3 in question being Tavares (11 mil), Marner (10.893 mil), and Matthews (11.634 mil). In the off-season I felt Matthews was the only one truly worth their whole hit. Still feel that way, just feel more certain now given the season Matthews is having.

EDIT: Forgot to post the poll. Oh well.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If you look at them being the 3rd, 5th and 7th biggest salaries in the league you could make an argument for each of them being overpaid a bit. Not by millions, but none of them are exactly team friendly contracts. Still, it's better to overpay your stars than your depth players.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
As of today I would say 0...but I think in two or three years two of them could be in the okay range.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Leafs look alot like the young pre cup Caps,they can score but they are all still not ready to sacrifice offensive opportunities ..To play the hard working defensive style,that wins championships...They will get there,just its going to take awhile

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The issue isn't just the cap, it's the term. Matthews makes $900K less than McDavid, and only signed for 5 years.

Toronto basically Chicago'ed themselves, except Chicago actually had success before paying their guys crippling cap hits.

Reactions: dukeofjive

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Theyre all worth their cap hits.

Doesnt mean any of them are team friendly contracts though (Tavares was, based on what he could have asked for as UFA).

Tavares is a bit older and having a down year. If he doesnt rebound he could eventually turn into a bad contract. We're definitely not there yet though

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is the best #1 scorer in the NHL, so absolutely yes. There is not a GM in the NHL that does not take it.

Marner is not worth his contract. He is slightly overpaid.

Tavares is not even close to being worth his $11M AAV. Awful.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Only Matthews. Marner is a little overpaid but still young. Tavares will likely be a "problem" in his last few years.

Reactions: DanM

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I would say Matthews, wish it was a bit longer there. Tavares got what he could have as a UFA, probably didn't take much of a pay cut to play in Toronto. Marner is overpaid

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2 of them are either worth it or will be worth it soon (Matthews and Marner). I don't think Tavares is an $11 million player, particularly now that he's going to be 30 and looks like he's slowing down a LOT.

If you're paid that much, you better be someone capable of 100 points or be a player who scores 75+ points with Selke level defense. Tavares is neither.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The issue isn't just the cap, it's the term. Matthews makes $900K less than McDavid, and only signed for 5 years.

Toronto basically Chicago'ed themselves, except Chicago actually had success before paying their guys crippling cap hits.

They were kinda screwed with Matthews tbh.

If he hits RFA july 1, he gets 14+ Million from Arizona

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Tavares should have got no more than 9.5 Million per, I am sure he would have signed for that if the Leafs played hardball, he dragged the Islanders and Sharks along and the Leafs figured they had to offer him 11M, Tavares is averaging a point per because he is playing with some really talented players

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
All four are living up to their cap hits. The rest of the team isn't pulling their weight. Tavares might be the lowest of the four based on only being a PPG player.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Tavares contract is looking bad. Whole team isn't competing as and working as hard as they should. That being said, 4 forwards taking up most of your cap in the first place is proving to not work

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
You can't say all 4 are worth their contracts, then say everyone else isn't pulling their weight.

They take up so much of the pie.
No bridge contracts means the leafs dont get the luxury of blaming everyone else withe how much those 4 take up.

Reactions: dukeofjive

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
All 3.

You can argue a half million here or there. And it is a bit problematic that they're on the same team. But each guy is worth it, if you're being objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad