How Many Leafs Prospects will we see at the World Juniors 2013-2014?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hi all,

I'm a new poster to HFBoards (a defector from the Sportsnet Forums).

For my first post I'd love to get a thread going on which Leafs prospects have a legitimate shot at the World Juniors this year.

Will Rielly go for Canada?
Gauthier?
Rupert?
Finn?

What about some of our Swedish boys (I'm unsure of who is eligible)?
Loov?
Johnson?

Toninato for the U.S?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Toninato for usa
Gauthier, Finn for Canada
Johnson for Sweden
Herzog for Switzerland

I see these guys as locks or have legitimate chances to represent their countries. I don't think rielly will leave, we need him.

Also, welcome!

Last edited:

snizzbone*

If the team stays healthy and Rielly isn't getting slotted in every night, I could definitely see him going to the WJCs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Didn't Nonis (or Carlyle) say they weren't going to lend Rielly to the tournament?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Brown and Verhaeghe are longshots to make team Canada. They'd likely need to keep their pace up and light it up at camp if they get invites.

Brown moreso since he plays with McDavid and is 19. That chemistry could be important for Canada if they play together potentially on the 3rd line

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
If Rielly were to go there would be a decent chance he would be captain, he would definitely get an A. I think it could be a great opportunity for him.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
If Rielly were to go there would be a decent chance he would be captain, he would definitely get an A. I think it could be a great opportunity for him.
Yeah, this. Provided everyone else is healthy and playing well, I'd love to see Rielly play a prominent role in the Canadian WJC team.

mikebel111*

man, I want to see a pairing of finn and rielly so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
If Carlye and Nonis wanna talk about how they need Reilley and won't send him to the Juniors then play him in an important game against Boston instead of putting him in the press box in favour of Paul the pylon Ranger. Keeping Reilley up here instead of leaving him in juniors another year is still very questionable to me, I hope this doesn't turn into Schenn part 2 were the development of the player sufferes because he's not ready and the team keeps him up because we're weak on D.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't think any 1992-born players are allowed to play..

Yup.

Finn has a good shot, but Canada's defense this year is absolutely stacked: Pouliot, Dumba, Matheson, Nurse, Ekblad, Severson, Morrissey, Reinhart, Pulock, Heatherington, and Koekkoek are all eligible and having great years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yup.

Finn has a good shot, but Canada's defense this year is absolutely stacked: Pouliot, Dumba, Matheson, Nurse, Ekblad, Severson, Morrissey, Reinhart, Pulock, Heatherington, and Koekkoek are all eligible and having great years.

wow :handclap:

There's about 8 or 9 first rounders there. That's crazy, we really need to have a bounce back tournament this year, I'm getting sick and tired of not winning gold. I know I sound spoiled but that is and will always be our expectation.

mikebel111*

If Carlye and Nonis wanna talk about how they need Reilley and won't send him to the Juniors then play him in an important game against Boston instead of putting him in the press box in favour of Paul the pylon Ranger. Keeping Reilley up here instead of leaving him in juniors another year is still very questionable to me, I hope this doesn't turn into Schenn part 2 were the development of the player sufferes because he's not ready and the team keeps him up because we're weak on D.
Rielly could be injured with the dirty antics that bruins use. Great strategy by randy to not play him in an hostile environment

This is not schenn 2.0. Rielly is a different player all together than luke. Rielly even earned his spot. He proved he was ready.

Holding back a player is just as bad as rushing a player
That should be my signature

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This is not schenn 2.0. Rielly is a different player all together than luke. Rielly even earned his spot. He proved he was ready.

Schenn made the team hands-down in his rookie season. The decision to have him on the team was far more obvious than having Rielly this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly should be a key player if he's there, I doubt it though. I think Finn is close to a lock. Gauthier has a good chance but not a lock by any means. Brown has an outside chance if he keeps his hot play, while Rupert and Verhaeghe will need a miracle I'd say. Bibeau may be able to get the third string slot as he's been one of the best Q goaltenders.

Johnson with Sweden is pretty much a lock with the way he's played.

Toninato seems like he's got a good chance, all though not a lock. 4 points in 8 games UMD. Being invited to their camp this summer is good but he's not 100% on the team.

Herzog a lock for the Swiss.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Morgan Rielly doesn't need the experience. The NHL is the highest stage of learning for a hockey player.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd rather let him go for a month than having him and Ranger split games 50/50 for that month.

Hoping for a backroom deal between Sutter and Nonis, if you let him go I promise to make him captain and play with Finn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad