Speculation: How many goals habs score in 2015-2016

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
I just took a bet on another board. I've been claiming for a while that I think Habs will finish top 5 for goals for in NHL, so i put 200$ on it. I know it may be a bit over enthousiastic, but...

- Petry and Beaulieu over Weiver - Tinordi to start with.
- Semin over PaP
- Fleischman over napkins at 3rd line's wing.
- Galchy C over Galchy W
- DD 3rd line C over DD 1st line C
- Kassian over Bourque (to be seen)
- New staff for PP
- New adv stats behind the scene.
- 3v3 may help the habs (fast forward, Elite D, Elite G)

To reach top 5 in goals, habs basically have to score 21-22 goals additional goals (before considering 3v3 ''new'' goals).

What do you think of it ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you're pushing it. We haven't seen the team play once on a full roster. Yesterday was pretty close though but there was nothing impressive in that win vs the B-team of Pens. It's pre-season, you cannot evaluate a team as a whole. It's about individual kids. Can't even judge the veterans. So...

Sure, if everything works, we can be top 5 in scoring. ''Everything works'' isn't quite realistic though. We will see if Therrien gives more offensive leeway to his team as well.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I have this feeling that somehow the Habs will manage to score less goals than last year...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I just took a bet on another board. I've been claiming for a while that I think Habs will finish top 5 for goals for in NHL, so i put 200$ on it. I know it may be a bit over enthousiastic, but...

- Semin over PaP
- Galchy C over Galchy W
- New staff for PP

To reach top 5 in goals, habs basically have to score 21-22 goals additional goals (before considering 3v3 ''new'' goals).

An improvement in goals is reasonable. There's obviously more offensive talent on the team than last year, but I'd guess Montreal will finish mid-pack in goals. The additions of Semin, Kassian, Fleischmann, Petry, plus development from Galchenyuk, could possibly push us into the top-10, but only if everything goes right. Top-5 is a real longshot -- your $200 investment should give you a huge payday if it works out!

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
An improvement in goals is reasonable. There's obviously more offensive talent on the team than last year, but I'd guess Montreal will finish mid-pack in goals. The additions of Semin, Kassian, Fleischmann, Petry, plus development from Galchenyuk, could possibly push us into the top-10, but only if everything goes right. Top-5 is a real longshot -- your $200 investment should give you a huge payday if it works out!

Habs scored 7 PP goals under league average. 7pp is 33% of the gap between habs production and top 5 production. It's sick how thin is the difference between teams in that regard.

Habs scored 221 goals, top 5 was 242. Let's do it :)

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
How many goals will the 3 vs 3 tack on?
Poor tenders get the bone on this deal. :laugh:

For now I consider it a ''non factor''. I think it will be an average increase of 5 to 7 goals per team - but to know if it habs will be better then average or not have ot be seen. I suspect it is possible.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Habs scored 7 PP goals under league average. 7pp is 33% of the gap between habs production and top 5 production. It's sick how thin is the difference between teams in that regard.

Habs scored 221 goals, top 5 was 242. Let's do it :)

Assuming production stays the same and that we do not suffer any key injuries again.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

- Semin over PaP
- Galchy C over Galchy W
- New staff for PP

I think it's definitely possible. Semin has a chance to add a fair bit of offense. Being in a contract year, he will be motivated. He should be a large upgrade on Weise/PAP's 12-13 goals(excluding those on 3rd or 4th line). 20-25 from Semin is pretty reasonable.

The middle of the lineup last year was mostly defensive minded, now you add Desharnais-Fleshmann-Weise/Kassian as line 2b, it should score a lot more than Weise/Prust/Sekac-Eller-Parenteau/Prust/DSP. That line only scored about 25 goals last year. 10-15 more is pretty realistic.

I'm not expencing a huge bump for Galchenyuk, maybe 5 goals and 10pts transitioning to C. Where his game has to grow is faceoffs and defensive zone.

Flesischmann adding 15 goals to a 3rd line would be a 7-10 goal boost over Prust/DSP last year.

Kassian could be a bit of an upgrade on Weise at some point. If nothing else it's another option, plus possibly a net front presence on the PP.

Petry should add 4-5 goals and 10-15pts to the top 4 on defense with his mobility.

If you add all that up it's 25-40 more goals. It won't all come to pass and injuries could reduce that number also. 20 more goals(0.25 per game) is pretty realistic.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Less then Washington, Tampa, Rangers, Dallas and Anaheim for sure. Probably less then Pittsburgh, Chicago, Islanders, St-Louis and Ottawa. Then you have teams like Columbus, Calgary, Edmonton and Colorado who are getting better in that category.

You should have bet top 5 in goals against.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Last 5 years:

221 (18th)
215 (21st)
255 (3rd - prorated for lockout)
212 (19th)
216 (24th)

I'm gonna go out and use a simple average excluding the highest and lowest values.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think you like to live dangerously my friend.

I've been waiting decades to have an edition that could offer up two consistent scoring lines.
Invariably we could only get one line stoked at any given time no matter what.
Now of a sudden people think we are going to have three scoring lines and my thoughts are that we will probably be able to get only one of them stoked on any given night.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
2 years ago, habs finished top 5 both in PP and goals for with a less offensive roster. Under the same coach.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/2013.html

They also had 300 more shots over an 82 game schedule if you extrapolated the 48 game total, and gave up 1.9 shots less a game. Also, they had more offensive zone and neutral zone starts and less defensive zone starts. Why ? The team played a more aggressive fore check game, like they do come play-off time. Aggressive play led to more offense while also giving the other team fewer opportunities on our net. I admit the PP was ridiculously good that year and so I think that is misleading on the goal totals, but the shot differential and zone starts is telling to me that we should play that system than the one MT employs now in the regular season, and yes I know they got like 200 points last season, but that as most see was due to Price putting up ridiculous numbers.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Zero reason for this roster not to at the very least be upper half of the league in goals scored. We should be top third.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Scoring will go up a little bit this year because of 3 on 3. And maybe if the refs open their eyes a little more.

And the Habs have Semin and Flash (hopefully) and Petry for the whole year. Galchenyuk at center and three scoring lines. And so far it seems that dumping the puck won't necessarily be the only game plan. PP will be better, too. It just can't be worse than last year.

So I say we score more goals. 240 would be fantastic. Let's go boys! :handclap:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Scoring will go up a little bit this year because of 3 on 3. And maybe if the refs open their eyes a little more.

And the Habs have Semin and Flash (hopefully) and Petry for the whole year. Galchenyuk at center and three scoring lines. And so far it seems that dumping the puck won't necessarily be the only game plan. PP will be better, too. It just can't be worse than last year.

So I say we score more goals. 240 would be fantastic. Let's go boys! :handclap:

3 on 3 won't change anything goal-wise. Players may pad their stats a bit more as the games that will go to overtime should be less likely to reach shootouts, and therefore count towards their stats, but whether the overtime is played 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3 or shootouts, there's only one possible outcome. One additional goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad