How many goalies are worth a 6 x 6 contract.

How many goalies are worth 6x6

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
10+ very easily.

6M$ really isn't much. 6 years is fine too, unless the guy is really old or it's a complete unknown with no idea how he might do.

If the question was 8M$, it starts to get a lot trickier. But at 6M$, it's really quite a few

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Probably about 5, but the six year part of the contract is the catch with this poll. Goalies are a volatile commodity and no team wants to end up paying 6 million for a backup.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hard to answer. Goalies are scary.

Vasi and Helly no problem.
Gibson probably.
Markstrom is close, he's 37 in 6 years, might be worth it depending on the team.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I'm personally not a fan of riding the 'hot' goaltender, though it proves to work a lot now.

Goalies I would for sure pay 6x6:
Vasilevskiy
Hellebuyck
Gibson
Shesterkin (small sample)

Goalies I would consider paying 6x6:
Blackwood
Hart
Petersen (small sample)
Samsonov (small sample)
Sorokin (small sample)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Goalies ate underpaid in general for their usefulness.

I'd love to see goalies excluded from the salary cap.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Putting Hart as would pay and Shesterkin/Blackwood as maybe is hilarious. Hart will likely be fine but at this point he's a FAR bigger risk than Shesterkin/Blackwood.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes are tied at #5 in the NHL in team save percentage at 0.917. Our starting goalie, Petr Mrazek, was acquired in free agency after he flamed out in Philadelphia at the trade deadline. He was awful. He was exposed and not taken at the Vegas expansion draft, and he fell out of favor in Detroit. Mrazek was sporting a 0.955 SV% and was injured after 4 games.

Since then, our tandem goalies have been:

James Reimer, who we traded for Scott Darling, because Darling had a slightly cheaper buyout

and

Alex Nedeljkovic, who is a 25 year old rookie, who was placed on waivers this year and went unclaimed.

Ned has a 0.927, Reimer has a 0.905.

My experience as a Canes fan has made me believe in the tandem goalie approach. Goalies are so voodoo and so volatile, that an $8M goalie one day isn't worth $3M the next. For me, it just makes sense to go with the middle-tier option every time and try to get your platoon to combine for less than a top 10 starter's salary.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
damn judging by all the posts take it Hart is no longer the next elite goalie prospect.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zero.

Goalies are virtually worthless in terms of deviation above average from year to year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Canes are tied at #5 in the NHL in team save percentage at 0.917. Our starting goalie, Petr Mrazek, was acquired in free agency after he flamed out in Philadelphia at the trade deadline. He was awful. He was exposed and not taken at the Vegas expansion draft, and he fell out of favor in Detroit. Mrazek was sporting a 0.955 SV% and was injured after 4 games.

Since then, our tandem goalies have been:

James Reimer, who we traded for Scott Darling, because Darling had a slightly cheaper buyout

and

Alex Nedeljkovic, who is a 25 year old rookie, who was placed on waivers this year and went unclaimed.

Ned has a 0.927, Reimer has a 0.905.

My experience as a Canes fan has made me believe in the tandem goalie approach. Goalies are so voodoo and so volatile, that an $8M goalie one day isn't worth $3M the next. For me, it just makes sense to go with the middle-tier option every time and try to get your platoon to combine for less than a top 10 starter's salary.

In fairness that philosophy has (outside of Cam Ward pulling off voodoo that one year) sunk the Canes into underachieving land for a long time.

Looking at Cup winners the last 10 years I see a lot of upper tier goalies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
In fairness that philosophy has (outside of Cam Ward pulling off voodoo that one year) sunk the Canes into underachieving land for a long time.

Looking at Cup winners the last 10 years I see a lot of upper tier goalies.
It was sticking with Ward that sunk them into underachieving for a long time.

I dont know what Wards deals were exactly, but thats the issue that people want to give term to goalies who maybe had a fluke run or only 1 stand out year and are hampering the team once given a long deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad