How many games between your sharpenings?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
normally mine is 4-5, but that can change depending on how I feel with the edges obviously

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Oh, anywhere from 3 to 15, usually closer to the latter. I really only get them done if I notice I'm losing edges, but lately I've been lazy about putting the guards on or taking them off and that makes them duller quicker.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I dont think I really do it in any consistent time frame...usually about two to three times a year really with atleast one ice time a week. I also can't stand freshly sharpened skates, there was only one time where I really was ok right off the first skate with a sharpening, other times I have to grind the edges a little on something.

Can usually tell well before I need them done so I dont end up on my ass by just takin a corner fast and hard stop all that jazz.

Rush22*

The general rule of thumb is every 5-10 skates. You have to take into account how much you weigh, you time on ice, the type of cut you get, and how hard you skate, and the quality of your runner. A stone can sometimes also get you a few more skates in on your hollow. I get a flat bottom cut (90/75) and I notice I can go 10-15 skates on that cut as opposed to 7-10 on a regular 5/8 hollow.

kampton

Jan 21, 2011
I dont think I really do it in any consistent time frame...usually about two to three times a year really with atleast one ice time a week. I also can't stand freshly sharpened skates, there was only one time where I really was ok right off the first skate with a sharpening, other times I have to grind the edges a little on something.

Can usually tell well before I need them done so I dont end up on my ass by just takin a corner fast and hard stop all that jazz.

Get em sharped with a larger radius and you won't have to "dull" them before they feel good to skate on.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I've been sharpening mine about once a month. Between my practices/games, my son's practices, and just stick and puck, lately I'm on the ice between 7-10 hours a week. But I'm lightweight and not hard on my skates. I usually don't realize how bad my edges have gotten until I get them sharpened and all of a sudden they feel tons better. I do 1/2".

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I generally go about 5-10 games/skates between sharpens, but sometimes longer when I get lazy/cheap. I have gone 20+ games before, I definitely get less bite but it's still manageable, unless you get actual nicks in the blade of course.

And yeah, blueberrydanish, if you find skates too catchy/edgy after a sharpen, take the advice of others in this thread and try a 5/8" ROH (and if that's still too much bite, try 3/4"). Also, make sure to find a good sharpener and stick with them, a bad sharpen is gonna feel terrible regardless of the ROH, and a good sharpen should feel pretty smooth even with a 3/8" or 1/2" ROH (though it's all preference).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
After about 4-5 games. I'm currently using the X6 for the blademaster "flat bottom" setup. First time I had it done it was great, 2nd time it got butchered, got it redone for free and it still doesn't feel right. Worst thing with this sharpening is not everybody offers it so you have to plan out your sharpenings more.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Mine usually last 5-6 skates. I go to public skate a lot to work on my skating, so mine probably dont last as long as others who only skate when they are playing hockey.

BruinsHockey74

Nov 17, 2010
ma
I tend to go no more than 3 skates before getting them sharpened. I like them sharp, I cant stand it when I dont have enough bite left to skate hard. I literally can feel myself going slower.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I've been sharpening mine about once a month. Between my practices/games, my son's practices, and just stick and puck, lately I'm on the ice between 7-10 hours a week. But I'm lightweight and not hard on my skates. I usually don't realize how bad my edges have gotten until I get them sharpened and all of a sudden they feel tons better. I do 1/2".

Beth try a 9/16 sharp the edges will last a bit longer, and you will skate a little faster.

That being said the shallower the hollow the longer your edges should last. I sharpen at 9/16 and sharpen at least every 5 skates, or about once a week to week and a half.

I do like fresh edges, and I really should use a 3/4 hollow I'm a big guy. and I get my skated profiled every year to try to keep them consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad