Prospect Info: How Many Draft Picks Will The Leafs Have In 2016 & 2017?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Assuming Pittsburgh makes the playoffs in the upcoming season, we have...

2016 Draft:

1st (TOR)
1st (PIT) - Conditional upon PIT making playoffs.
2nd (TOR)
3rd (TOR)
3rd (PIT/NJ) - Unclear whether it's PIT or NJ pick.
4th (TOR)
5th (TOR)
5th (ANA) - Korbinian Holzer trade.
6th (TOR)
6th (STL) - Olli Jokinen trade.
7th (TOR)

2017 Draft:

1st (TOR)
2nd (TOR)
3rd (TOR)
4th (TOR)
5th (TOR)
6th (TOR)
7th (TOR)

That is 18 current draft picks over the next two years.

We also have a bunch of expendable players that can likely garner draft picks between now and the 2017 trade deadline...

Dion Phaneuf (1st or 2nd round pick)
Jonathan Bernier (1st or 2nd round pick)
Tyler Bozak (2nd or 3rd round pick)
Roman Polak (2nd to 4th round pick)
Shawn Matthias (3rd to 5th round pick)
Daniel Winnik (3rd to 5th round pick)
James Reimer (3rd to 5th round pick)
P.A Parenteau (3rd to 6th round pick)
Nick Spaling (4th to 6th round pick)
Mark Arcobello (4th to 6th round pick)
Matt Hunwick (4th to 7th round pick)

That is another 11 possible draft picks over the next two drafts.

We could be looking at having anywhere from 26 to 30 draft picks over the next two drafts.

In the modern day NHL, that would be a record for number of draft picks in two consecutive drafts.

If last deadline taught us anything it's that you are selling low on Winnik

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Pretty much ignores everything management said about keeping players down until they have nothing to prove at the lower levels.

We all want more draft picks but I doubt the team trades everyone, some of these signings are place holders to shelter our young guys from being rushed and hindering their development.

A more likely scenario to me is the team decides by the deadline who is ready to be promoted and then trade to make spots for them. I do not see them trading everything they can and risk exposing the kids too soon. I suppose Shanny could be telling us lies but I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he has done exactly what he has said thus far.

Percy has now spent parts of 4 seasons in the AHL:sarcasm:. But Seriously if he played in the NHL he wouldnt be getting rushed.

Same with Granberg. He has spent 5 seasons now playing against men.

Casey Bailey is 23 and will be close to 24 when the season starts its not like he is some 19 year old.

Nylander has spent 2 years now playing against men and is uber talented. With a good summer he may not have much to prove at the AHL level.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Dangerous game to play lol

Every year it is the same thing, may people saying we will get 1-3 firsts a bunch of seconds for X players.. and it never happens.

But saying that.. in addition to what we have.
Bozak will fetch a low 2nd possibly at the deadline from a team looking to make a Cup push.

Dion would give a low first but I would not count on him being traded at all this summer. More likely another deadline deal to a team making a push, possibly one who has an injured player.

Throw in a 3rd or two for other cast offs.

nothing earth shattering.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Percy has now spent parts of 4 seasons in the AHL:sarcasm:. But Seriously if he played in the NHL he wouldnt be getting rushed.

Same with Granberg. He has spent 5 seasons now playing against men.

Casey Bailey is 23 and will be close to 24 when the season starts its not like he is some 19 year old.

Nylander has spent 2 years now playing against men and is uber talented. With a good summer he may not have much to prove at the AHL level.

Percy I can see. Nylander I think still has more to prove (don't get me wrong I love him). I have my doubts Granberg will ever be a full time Leaf. Baily has played 6 pro games only once playing more than 10 minutes (11:13). Nothing suggests he is ready but with his size he might sneak in to the bottom 6.

I fully admit I may be wrong but I would be shocked if more than one (Percy is my guess) is in the opening lineup.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dangerous game to play lol

Every year it is the same thing, may people saying we will get 1-3 firsts a bunch of seconds for X players.. and it never happens.

But saying that.. in addition to what we have.
Bozak will fetch a low 2nd possibly at the deadline from a team looking to make a Cup push.

Dion would give a low first but I would not count on him being traded at all this summer. More likely another deadline deal to a team making a push, possibly one who has an injured player.

Throw in a 3rd or two for other cast offs.

nothing earth shattering.

Seems about right.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
What will be interesting to see is how many of these picks actually turn out to be successful Leaf players and are still with the team if/when they win.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
What will be interesting to see is how many of these picks actually turn out to be successful Leaf players and are still with the team if/when they win.

more picks = better chance one of them works out.

its pretty smart to sign a bunch of good depth guys for 1 year deals and move them at the deadline for picks. even if we only get 3rds/4th rounders, its better then nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad