Prospect Info: How Many Draft Picks Will The Leafs Have In 2016 & 2017?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Assuming Pittsburgh makes the playoffs in the upcoming season, we have...

2016 Draft:

1st (TOR)
1st (PIT) - Conditional upon PIT making playoffs.
2nd (TOR)
3rd (TOR)
3rd (PIT/NJ) - Unclear whether it's PIT or NJ pick.
4th (TOR)
5th (TOR)
5th (ANA) - Korbinian Holzer trade.
6th (TOR)
6th (STL) - Olli Jokinen trade.
7th (TOR)

2017 Draft:

1st (TOR)
2nd (TOR)
3rd (TOR)
4th (TOR)
5th (TOR)
6th (TOR)
7th (TOR)

That is 18 current draft picks over the next two years.

We also have a bunch of expendable players that can likely garner draft picks between now and the 2017 trade deadline...

Dion Phaneuf (1st or 2nd round pick)
Jonathan Bernier (1st or 2nd round pick)
Tyler Bozak (2nd or 3rd round pick)
Roman Polak (2nd to 4th round pick)
Shawn Matthias (3rd to 5th round pick)
Daniel Winnik (3rd to 5th round pick)
James Reimer (3rd to 5th round pick)
P.A Parenteau (3rd to 6th round pick)
Nick Spaling (4th to 6th round pick)
Mark Arcobello (4th to 6th round pick)
Matt Hunwick (4th to 7th round pick)

That is another 11 possible draft picks over the next two drafts.

We could be looking at having anywhere from 26 to 30 draft picks over the next two drafts.

In the modern day NHL, that would be a record for number of draft picks in two consecutive drafts.

Last edited:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
That is another 11 possible draft picks over the next two drafts.

We could be looking at having anywhere from 26 to 30 draft picks over the next two drafts.

A big reason why we needed the additional cap space (Kessel). We're also now able to facilitate a larger number of deadline deals by taking on larger cap dumps.

This is exactly how we need to operate until our prospect pool is bursting at the seams

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Management has made it pretty clear they're looking to keep Bernier. Plus, no one else is in the market for a starting goalie.

Don't think Winnik or Hunwik get traded in this offseason. If management were planning on that, we could have signed them to one year deals, possibly for a little more money.

The third is definitely NJ's.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We can give up any third. So if it were me, I'd try to get an extra third this season and give it to Detroit for compensation.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
We can give up any third. So if it were me, I'd try to get an extra third this season and give it to Detroit for compensation.

That's obviously the smart move, but they'll do what New Jersey did with the Kovalchuck ordeal and wait until the last minute to give it up.

Maybe it'll pay off like it did for them and it'll get bumped down (?) :sarcasm:

wulfio*

A big reason why we needed the additional cap space (Kessel). We're also now able to facilitate a larger number of deadline deals by taking on larger cap dumps.

This is exactly how we need to operate until our prospect pool is bursting at the seams

I thought I recall management saying they wouldn't be taking cap dumps for picks to remain flexible.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chicago had 17 picks from the 2004 draft. Just 6 more picks to match them for 2016.

Incase anyone was wondering only 3 Hawks made contributions to atleast 1 of their 3 cups. No core players though.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008

REally??...that's surprising.

Is there a yearly deadline for us to decide? Like we obviously can't make the decision on the draft floor.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
REally??...that's surprising.

Is there a yearly deadline for us to decide? Like we obviously can't make the decision on the draft floor.

it surprised me too - but tis in the rules. any third.

and truthfully, I don't know. I betcha if they wanted to - they just call up on the trade phone and they go "we don't like anyone this round, you have at it Detroit." then they let that old guy whose not Bettman announce it, and poof.

the last year is 2017. And I am hoping we are hosting the draft that year, so I'd rather give it to Detroit now (and that we have oodles and oodles of draft picks for 2017).

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Chicago had 17 picks from the 2004 draft. Just 6 more picks to match them for 2016.

Incase anyone was wondering only 3 Hawks made contributions to atleast 1 of their 3 cups. No core players though.

Slightly different though because of the 9 rounds they had back then.

I personally was hoping for 20 picks between the 2015 and 2016 drafts, looks like I need to have higher standards with this group.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

and truthfully, I don't know. I betcha if they wanted to - they just call up on the trade phone and they go "we don't like anyone this round, you have at it Detroit." then they let that old guy whose not Bettman announce it, and poof.

the last year is 2017. And I am hoping we are hosting the draft that year, so I'd rather give it to Detroit now (and that we have oodles and oodles of draft picks for 2017).

Leafs will trade one of their 1 year signings for a package including Detroit's 2017 3rd, and then give it back to them.:naughty:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Slightly different though because of the 9 rounds they had back then.

I personally was hoping for 20 picks between the 2015 and 2016 drafts, looks like I need to have higher standards with this group.

If we get 13.2 picks that ties Chicago. Woo, hoo!

Add Tampa Bays conditional 7th round draft pick to 2016 to make it 12 picks. All we need is Ashton to play 15 games with TBL in 2015-2016.................ahh, never mind. 11 picks

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd
Kessel = Kapanen + 1st + 4 2nds + 4 Thirds

Trades: Parenteau Bozak Lupul Arcobello Matthias Frattin Polak Robidas Reimer Spalding

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Does it have to be our 3rd or just a 3rd ?

Never mind, Daisy covered it.

It's my understanding we are getting everything for our birthday, Draft, All-star game, out door game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll have more then enough. As long as they trade any, if not every, player that has value at the dead line and they are not a core asset long-term... they have to trade them. Even if we are in playoff spot, trade them... ESPECIALLY if they are pending free agents.

We can't afford to let assets walk for free anymore, certainly not at this point of the rebuild.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd

Trades: Parenteau Bozak Lupul Arcobello Matthias Frattin Polak Robidas Reimer Spalding

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Nylander doesn't play RW. Panik plays RW.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Pretty much ignores everything management said about keeping players down until they have nothing to prove at the lower levels.

We all want more draft picks but I doubt the team trades everyone, some of these signings are place holders to shelter our young guys from being rushed and hindering their development.

A more likely scenario to me is the team decides by the deadline who is ready to be promoted and then trade to make spots for them. I do not see them trading everything they can and risk exposing the kids too soon. I suppose Shanny could be telling us lies but I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he has done exactly what he has said thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad