How many career goals will Auston Matthews score?

How many career goals will Auston Matthews score?

• Total voters

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kinda surprised most people believe he will score more than 500.

Only 2 active players have over 500:
OV and Marleau.

The only way AM sniffs 500, is if he is incredibly healthy with a VERY long career, which given his injury history is incredibly doubtful.

Here's a list of people who aren't there yet:
Crosby (He will likely get there)
Kovalchuk
Staal
Stamkos
Thornton
Malkin
Kane

Reactions: dukeofjive

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

OV and Marleau.

The only way AM sniffs 500, is if he is incredibly healthy with a VERY long career, which given his injury history is incredibly doubtful.

Kovalchuk
Staal
Stamkos
Thornton
Malkin
Kane

Matthews is a better goal scorer than everyone you mentioned that hasn’t hit 500 goals yet. Pre injury stammer might have been the only better one.

Also almost everyone on that list had significant injuries and will hit 500+ goals still.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

OV and Marleau.

Kovalchuk
Staal
Stamkos
Thornton
Malkin
Kane

Matthews is a better goal scorer than everyone you mentioned that hasn’t hit 500 goals yet. Pre injury stammer might have been the only better one.

Also almost everyone on that list had significant injuries and will hit 500+ goals still.
Among those players listed I don't think Kovalchuk gets to 500 goals. I know he's currently at 443 career goals, however he's already 37 years old. Now if he didn't go back to Russia for 5 years he might have already got to 500 goals. Since he returned to the NHL for the 2018-19 season his goal total year was 16 and this season split between the Kings, Canadiens, and Capitals his total was 10 goals.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

OV and Marleau.

Kovalchuk
Staal
Stamkos
Thornton
Malkin
Kane

I see what you're saying, and people can get ahead of themselves with predictions sometimes, but Matthews is a pretty special goalscorer. Of your list, only Kovalchuk and Stamkos are as goal-focused as Matthews (the others are more balanced offensive players or a playmaker in Thornton's case), and Stammer just hit 418 goals before turning 30 despite significant injuries and Kovalchuk had 417 before turning 30. Stamkos will almost assuredly hit 500 and Kovalchuk would have as well if he didn't leave for the KHL. Matthews already has 158 at only 22 so he needs 342 the rest of his career. If he only plays 12 more years, he can average under 30 a year going forward and hit it. Considering he's scored at a 40 goal pace every year of his career so far, and just paced for 55, he's going to have a significantly higher room for variance and injuries compared to guys like Malkin and Kane through his prime. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't hit it.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Matthews is playing in a high scoring era on a high scoring team with a potent PP... hard to decide on the number but it will be high.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ok, here's what I am saying. Let me make it crystal clear for you and your gang of Toronto haters.

Matthews is the BEST young scorer in the NHL and will take the throne from OV once he fades off.

The only gem here is Auston Matthews and how f***ing insanely good he is! Sit back and enjoy the show.

Did Pastrnak retire?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Under 600. He’s off to a really good start but I’d need to see a couple of seasons where he was the best goal scorer for a year to put him in that more elite group. Those guys all won Rockets and had some monster years. Matthews has come close but he still needs to do it. Plus of course health will be something he will need.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
IMO I could see Auston Matthews becoming the second greatest goal scorer of all time behind Ovechkin...which is amazing that they are playing in the same time period.

You don't just score 4 goals in your first game and have it be a fluke. He was destined for goal scoring all time greatness.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Under 600. He’s off to a really good start but I’d need to see a couple of seasons where he was the best goal scorer for a year to put him in that more elite group. Those guys all won Rockets and had some monster years. Matthews has come close but he still needs to do it. Plus of course health will be something he will need.
Even though Matthews has not yet won a Rocket Richard Trophy, he's still finished tied for 2nd in goals during his rookie season with 40 and this past season he finished 3rd in goals with 47. So he's on the right track to becoming one of the best goal scoring forwards. Some might say he's already in that elite group.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Also, Matthews has averaged 45 goals per season in his first 4 years.

In the last 20 years who has done this besides Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Stamkos? I don't believe there's anyone else on that list. He is destined for greatness, and I don't think he will fade like Stamkos did because he has additional skill sets like dirty hands that Stamkos does not possess.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Even though Matthews has not yet won a Rocket Richard Trophy, he's still finished tied for 2nd in goals during his rookie season with 40 and this past season he finished 3rd in goals with 47. So he's on the right track to becoming one of the best goal scoring forwards. Some might say he's already in that elite group.
Agreed. He’s getting close. Still needs to win one though.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

In the last 20 years who has done this besides Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Stamkos? I don't believe there's anyone else on that list. He is destined for greatness, and I don't think he will fade like Stamkos did because he has additional skill sets like dirty hands that Stamkos does not possess.

Offense is up in recent seasons. Difficult to compare. Also can't quite use goal pace to say he has scored 45 per season.

He is a great goal scorer no doubt but already proclaiming him to possibly be the second best after Ovechkin is absurd.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In goal scoring? Pastrnak has scored more goals then him 3 years straight.
Yes that's completely accurate.

However since Pastrnak scored a total of only 1 more goal than Matthews in the last 3 years, that just shows how close they are to each other. So no one can say that Pastrnak is way above and much better then Matthews in terms of goal scoring.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

However since Pastrnak scored a total of only 1 more goal than Matthews in the last 3 years, that just shows how close they are to each other. So no one can say that Pastrnak is way above and much better then Matthews in terms of goal scoring.
No one did say that.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Exactly my point, when someone says one is clearly better than the other, they have been insanely close over the last 3 seasons.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

How is (40+34+37+47)/4=45?
He has averaged 39.5 goals per season which is still fantastic so there’s no reason to make things up.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
How is (40+34+37+47)/4=45?
He has averaged 39.5 goals per season which is still fantastic so there’s no reason to make things up.

Goals Per Game. Matthews has only played more than 70 games once in his career, which was his rookie year. Unfair to say he is not a 45 goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad