How long until the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs again?

How long until the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs again?

• Total voters

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Pegula’s are going to give them a run for their money.

I remember how thrilled Sabre fans were when they bought the team because they would finally be able to spend the money and be on the rise again. His infamous 'Stanley Cup' quote. And it's just turned into a disaster.
Since they took over, The Sabres are last in everything from goals scored to goals allowed to p.k. to power play to wins and losses. Ottawa gets the press because it's continual ridiculous headlines but Sabres fans have suffered way more in the past decade.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Really? Tampa and Boston are still going to be taking two spots in the division in two years. Toronto and Florida will still be in the hunt. Montreal is a bit of a question mark but...? The Metro should still be really solid top to bottom in two years.
Hopefully they catch lightning and make it in the next few years but there's some tough sledding.

Well with Eichel/Dahlin and other nice pieces, yes really.

Gonna be hard for us not to.

Next year is iffy but we should be golden the year after, and the year after that until Eichels contract is up and probably some more after that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Next year is iffy but we should be golden the year after, and the year after that until Eichels contract is up and probably some more after that.

Eichel probably isn't going to stay that long. I'm not convinced he doesn't ask for a trade after one more year outside of the playoffs. Two more years, and I think it'd be unlikely he stays.

You still have a coach who thinks a bunch of AHL'ers should play more than his franchise defenseman. You have owners who have significantly cutback costs, and now only want employees who they personally trust. The team also isn't very good, and has many areas it needs to improve.

I think you are taking an extremely optimistic view to say that it'd be unlikely they won't make it the next two years. I think it's unlikely they would make it any of the next two years. Obviously it's not impossible, but I think it's unlikely. They are among the very worst teams in the league right now, play in arguably the best division in hockey, and definitely play in the better of the two conferences.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
2 years if Eichel sticks around, they'll miss next years but hopefully make it after that.

If Eichel is traded they're probably looking at 5+ years, but they might be a better built team when that 5 years comes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Not wishing you ill as outside of post-lockout Briere I never really had a problem with your team and would really like you guys back in the playoffs... but it's a tough climb.
Colorado turned it around so there's hope but watching the Sabres is like a very very slow motion train-wreck with a few dignitaries on board (Eichel, Dahlin, etc). I honestly feel bad for fanbases that have to go through that (outside of Edmonton and Toronto because that's funny).
Good luck ... but it's going to be a tough slough.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two years. They already have some great pieces and a new GM should be able to turn it around quickly. It’s not a huge step to get a playoff spot in any event imo.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd say two years. Dahlin is going to be an absolute monster. If Cozens can step into the 2C role, the forwards will be well balanced. And they have a chance at an impact player this draft.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
The fact that there are options past 3-4 years is ridiculous and kind of seems like a poll just to trash on the Sabres and their fans

So many things can happen or change in 3-4 years let alone the absolutely laughable options of 6-9 and 10+...

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
does anyone need Askarov more than Buffalo? Unfortunately by the time he's ready to lock-down an NHL net, Eichel might be UFA and Dahlin approaching it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Voted 3-5
They take the proper rebuilding path, and 3-5 is likely. Plus, when they do finally get in, they’ll be there for several years.
I think they’re going to try to get in immediately though by trading picks and prospects for mature NHLers. They might get in for one or two seasons, but then will miss for the next decade.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Lets see what they need. An ideal playoff team

1C - Eichel
2C - ???
Supporting Centres - Likely Mittelstadt, maybe Cozens
2 30g Wingers - Skinner, ???
PP Scoring - Olofsson
Depth: Not really

1D - Dahlin
Time Crunching Top Pairing: ???
Top 4 D: McCabe, Montour, Jokiharu
Veteran Dman for Bottom pairing: Yep

Starting Goalie: ???
backup Goalie: Hutton

So what do they need to be competitive

2C + 1 Top 6 Winger - Top Pairing Minute Muncher Dman + Starting Goalie + Tweaked Bottom 6

Looking at their roster, they have a lot of work to put in before they can make the playoffs again.

Their entire signed forward groups is Eichel, Skinner, Okposo and Johansson. Those are the only players guaranteed to start the season. All their RFAs (except Mittelstadt) are arbitration eligible. Theres a chance they could all take 1-2 year contracts and bail. Thats way too much uncertainty, thats not a team thats built for the future and built to rebound into a better team.

I just don't see it, I don't see their route to improving in the system. Maybe drafting a Byfield would turn their fortunes but theres just so many holes and so much that needs to be done on the contract end.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Lets see what they need. An ideal playoff team

1C - Eichel
2C - ???
Supporting Centres - Likely Mittelstadt, maybe Cozens
2 30g Wingers - Skinner, ???
PP Scoring - Olofsson
Depth: Not really

1D - Dahlin
Time Crunching Top Pairing: ???
Top 4 D: McCabe, Montour, Jokiharu
Veteran Dman for Bottom pairing: Yep

Starting Goalie: ???
backup Goalie: Hutton

So what do they need to be competitive

2C + 1 Top 6 Winger - Top Pairing Minute Muncher Dman + Starting Goalie + Tweaked Bottom 6

Looking at their roster, they have a lot of work to put in before they can make the playoffs again.

Their entire signed forward groups is Eichel, Skinner, Okposo and Johansson. Those are the only players guaranteed to start the season. All their RFAs (except Mittelstadt) are arbitration eligible. Theres a chance they could all take 1-2 year contracts and bail. Thats way too much uncertainty, thats not a team thats built for the future and built to rebound into a better team.

I just don't see it, I don't see their route to improving in the system. Maybe drafting a Byfield would turn their fortunes but theres just so many holes and so much that needs to be done on the contract end.
This is exactly my view of it.

Plus in the time its going to take to find those missing pieces, some of their current assets are going to demand trades or bust or get hurt. Then the cycle will begin anew, at least until new and competent ownership comes in.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Speaking as a fan of a team that has waded through obscurity for multiple years and have been in as unfortunate of a situation as the Sabres currently are in, 3-5 is the likeliest. This is not something you dig yourself out of in a couple of seasons, generally.

Any longer than that though is complete projection and silly. Few teams go on droughts longer than five years (looking at some obvious, glaring examples of course).

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
It will be tough for them for sure with the Pegulas' grip on the franchise. In the current division, barring a collapse, the Lightning, Bruins, & Leafs are set up for a number of years of success in the future, so it won't be easy to just bust into a top three spot. Possible for sure, and I could see the Sabres' nabbing a wild-card playoff spot off the backs of Eichel & Dahlin one year...but I don't see them becoming a consistent playoff team for at least 4-5 years, unless Kevyn Adams turns out to be a genius GM out of nowhere. The rot at the top, and the fact that only 50% of teams make the playoffs are going to make it hard for them to get anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad