OT: How long until sports can return? You might not like the answerI

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Gee that's tough. I hope you and your wife stay safe and healthy.

You raise an excellent point - what is the exit strategy from our current situation? The lockdown and social distancing measures that most countries have instituted to one degree or another are completely correct as an initial measure to try and contain and slow the spread of the virus and give our healthcare systems a chance to cope with all those needing treatment. But what next? A vaccine is so far away, if we ever develop one at all, as to be almost meaningless. A cure seems unlikely, again at least not for quite some time. The idea that we can just shutdown people's lives and put the economy into 'hibernation' for 6 months, let alone 12, is absurd. The amount of damage it will do to people both short and long-term and the lives that will be lost due to mental and other physical health issues will be so great that such a strategy will do far more harm than good. And after all that, even if we just bunker down for months, the chances of eradicating the virus are tiny, so it's almost certain it will be out there waiting to flare up again as soon as restrictions start to relax. It's simply going to be with us for a long time yet.

So what to do? I suspect the only viable solution is to maintain our current strict lockdown for another 2 months tops, to try and give our healthcare systems every possible chance to acquire as much of the necessary equipment, medications etc. as they can and hopefully learn more about how to treat patients with the virus more effectively. If we're really lucky the virus itself might start to weaken in how seriously it affects people as it becomes more diffused amongst the population. But at the end of that time states should be starting to implement a reduced restrictions regime that is sustainable for a long time, one in which as many people as possible can work and go to school/university, at least some travel is possible, close social groups can meet, socialize and be active together, sound measures are taken to protect the especially vulnerable, and there are at least some wider retail and hospitality services operating. Undoubtedly this will facilitate some virus transmission in the community, but it's borderline inevitable and the hope has to be that with sensible precautions and sanitation the rate of spread will be kept low. Not ideal, but I think there's no way around it. Eventually it will have spread through so much of the population that it will become largely just like any other respiratory virus of this type. How long such a regime will have to last for is an open question.

What does this mean for sport? Playoffs in empty arenas are unpalatable but entirely possible. As you say, the amount of money the leagues will make from TV and advertisements will be significant and portions of this can be passed on to the participating clubs under some suitable arrangement. It will definitely be adequate to cover the costs of playing and travelling. Speaking of, can that be done safely? Well the teams all have their own practice arenas, they can charter planes for flights, and can transit between hotels and arenas on their own buses, or in their own vehicles for home games. Their contact with anyone other than their teammates, necessary staff and families can be kept to an absolute minimum for a couple of months. Do all this, ensure good hygiene and cleaning, and play in empty arenas with minimal media requirements and the chances of anyone becoming infected should be very low. For sure there will be some risk involved, but no more, indeed probably a good deal less, than that faced by the many people who still have to go to work. I believe the players would jump at the chance to play as long as they were assured that suitable measures were in place to protect them as far as reasonably possible.

So when? Forecasting is a dangerous business but I can see at least some form of NBA/NHL playoff series in around June/July, at the same time as a transition to a next phase of longer-term partial restrictions, as a definite possibility. Not ideal for hockey particularly but doable. Baseball is a whole different business and I think the 2vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvbbbbb vl be a total write-off, but I remain hopeful that playoffs to give resolution to the hockey and basketball seasons already well and truly in progress can be undertaken over the summer. As for local sports it's tricky. Summer sports are probably lost to us for this year, but the ones that normally start in fall just might have a chance.

when I read your response I do think I would support playing the playoff games in one city for the east cost teams (maybe Toronto since it has a few arenas) and then another city for the west {possibly Chicago or Minnesota depending who has the better arenas to play the games. have every playoff team just fly in private and rent some exclusive hotel situation to put the players up in a safe enviorment

eliminates the travel/hotel dangers of going back and forth... and really going back and forth shouldnt matter if theres no one in the arena watching anyhow.

without travel days delaying the playing of the games the games can be played 2 on, day off, 2 on, couple days off, 2 on, and day off before the 7th game if needed. can get an entire round of playoffs done in 11 days take a couple days off for rest between series and repeat... would only need around 7 weeks to get the entire 4 rounds of playoffs played.

get started by mid-may... with luck you are done before july 4

#savethenhlseason #giveussomethingpositvewhilewestruggleathome

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
when I read your response I do think I would support playing the playoff games in one city for the east cost teams (maybe Toronto since it has a few arenas) and then another city for the west {possibly Chicago or Minnesota depending who has the better arenas to play the games. have every playoff team just fly in private and rent some exclusive hotel situation to put the players up in a safe enviorment

eliminates the travel/hotel dangers of going back and forth... and really going back and forth shouldnt matter if theres no one in the arena watching anyhow.

without travel days delaying the playing of the games the games can be played 2 on, day off, 2 on, couple days off, 2 on, and day off before the 7th game if needed. can get an entire round of playoffs done in 11 days take a couple days off for rest between series and repeat... would only need around 7 weeks to get the entire 4 rounds of playoffs played.

get started by mid-may... with luck you are done before july 4

#savethenhlseason #giveussomethingpositvewhilewestruggleathome

That's a fantastic idea. Essentially run the playoffs like an olympic or worlds tournament. I could get behind that and I think the teams and players could too. The only issue I can foresee would be for those players with families - it would be tough for them to not be able to see their partners and kids for potentially up to 2 months. There could be a way around that though, either by permitting carefully controlled family visits to the chosen locations or having little 2-day breaks here and there where those players who want to can briefly return home to see family.

Anyway it's a really solid concept and something that the league hopefully considers.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
There's not one shred of evidence to back up his claim. It's his opinion, not fact, and it should be stated as such.

And there's as HUGE difference between 18 months and never.

No it's fact. I work for a state government and we have been told officially that barring a major miracle there won't be a widely-available vaccine for at least 18 months, probably longer. You can choose not to believe it if you like but it's reality. While getting one eventually will of course have great public health benefits and save lives, it's so far away and so uncertain that current government policy can't be based on just waiting for the vaccine or a cure to come along. Instead we're simply going to have to work out how to live with this damn thing, and how to operate a viable society and economy while keeping its spread as slow as possible. That's just how it is.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No it's fact. I work for a state government and we have been told officially that barring a major miracle there won't be a widely-available vaccine for at least 18 months, probably longer. You can choose not to believe it if you like but it's reality. While getting one eventually will of course have great public health benefits and save lives, it's so far away and so uncertain that current government policy can't be based on just waiting for the vaccine or a cure to come along. Instead we're simply going to have to work out how to live with this damn thing, and how to operate a viable society and economy while keeping its spread as slow as possible. That's just how it is.

He said "never", not 18 months.

I disagreed with "never" and believe 18 months. You and I agree. I think you mis-read the exchange.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well, we got our first sporting event

UFC 249. April 18th. Card was just finalized

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
To branch off that it would appear Dana is purchasing a private island to hold fights on

Baller move. Still shouldn’t be holding fights, but god damn that’s cool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad