How long of a drive are you away from your nearest NHL team?

How long of a drive are you away from your nearest NHL team?

• Total voters

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
About 130 miles from the United Center in Chicago. Blues are also close-ish at about 170 miles away.

Time it takes would entirely depend on traffic, but I feel reasonably comfortable that if I was so inclined, i could be in my seat at the UC for a 7 PM game if I left work a bit early.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I hear you. I guess it's a good thing I don't live in Boston because I'd be BROKE with going to games.
You no likey $19 beers? Fenway is even worse. With how bad the Sox are they should be giving beer away so we don't have to endure their horrible play

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Growing up, I used to live only SEVEN MILES from Nassau Coliseum on Long Island! Cool, eh? Not really - not when I was already a Bruin fan and had to suffer through that Islander dynasty of the early 1980's :eek3:

Reactions: TopCheese

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
50 minute direct walk or 20 minute walk/skytrain. Driving would be a poor decision as theres no convenience and wouldnt be able to have a drink if i wanted

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
50 minute direct walk or 20 minute walk/skytrain. Driving would be a poor decision as theres no convenience and wouldnt be able to have a drink if i wanted
wow under an hour walk. I would kill for that. Couple tokes, couple beers, stroll through the city night life as the excitement builds leading up to the game. Man sometimes rural living has its drawbacks

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
About 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic.

It kind of goes both ways, though. It's definitely nice living in an NHL market with that big platform for the local team.

On the other hand, you can be just as hardcore of a fan for a minor-league or junior team, at a small fraction of the cost and with far better connection to the actual team and games. As much as I enjoy the NHL, I would love to have some of that small-league atmosphere back and that is not accessible at all. Even if I travel to see it elsewhere, it's missing the local familiarity which is the whole point of the experience.

Kind of like restaurants. It's great to have a Michelin-star restaurant in your city, but going there every night is impractical and weirdly unsatisfying compared to doing the same at a local mom&pop.
Many of the Canadian markets have that with either a CHL team or AHL team.

Ottawa has the 67s and it has a completely different feel. And only one break per period rather than three!!

Reactions: tarheelhockey

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Voted 4hrs.
roughly the time to the twin cities, Chicago is about 2hrs away but an AHL team masquerading as an NHL team Doesn't quite meet the nearest "NHL" team criteria

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
That depends on if I have to count the time it takes to get out of the parking lot. I live in Ottawa about 45 km from the Arena. I have attended games with a 7:30 start time leaving right after the game and not got home until after midnight because if you park in the wrong corner of that lot it can take an hour to get out. I am also about 190 km from the Bell Centre in Montreal, I have attended games in mtl with a 7:00 Pm start time and got home before midnight.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Leafs fan in Muskoka. About 2.5 hours to ScotiaBank Arena. Realistically to make sure I get downtown on time Id leave early afternoon and grab some food before the game.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
We did it woooooo.
Guys it's 8 AM in the morning, I told I'm unable to see, when I woke up the first OT has ended. So I saw this amazing Game 1 while I layed in Bed and did now breakfast.

Must be bunch of tired Guys, in the US.
Sir this is a Wendy's.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad