How long is Sheahan's leash?

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I guess it's kind of an issue I have with Blashill this season. He is "defaulting" to a lot of things Babcock did, even when he's not getting similar results. There was no issue with your described usage of Sheahan under Babcock, because he was a .5 ppg player that was very reliable.

There was also no other option. That was my point, really. When you add Larkin and Richards, you increase the number of choices for that second unit PP time/strong ES linemate stuff.

Blashill is trying to use him the same way while getting very different results. Also is trying the Kronwall-Ericsson and Dekeyser-Quincey pairings. Also started the season playing Glendening way too much.

There's only a certain number of rational combinations of players, though. And both Datsyuk and Richards missing time early on forced a little bit of overplaying of the surviving centers early on, as well.

I'd like to see him try some more new ideas, and take into account guys current play this season a bit more.

Well, he was onto Larkin playing more in a big role early, he's had no problem benching Nyquist and Tatar late in games (reducing their ES IT/g by around a minute a game), he slid Sheahan out of the top 6, he hid Howard under a rock, he's increased Dekeyser's role, he's reduced Ericsson's role (especially at ES)... he's been pretty active changing the general usage rates and types, IMO. And that's not even including working Green into the defense.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Sheahan reminds me of a young Franzen. Decent bottom 6 center that displays flashes of great talent on occasion. Both have good size and are soft as **** too.

Maybe one day something will click with Riley and he will break out into being a great top 6 asset like mule did in the spring of 08.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sheahan reminds me of a young Franzen. Decent bottom 6 center that displays flashes of great talent on occasion. Both have good size and are soft as **** too.

Maybe one day something will click with Riley and he will break out into being a great top 6 asset like mule did in the spring of 08.

Filppula looked like an entirely different player on the wing. Curious if Sheahan would too.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Filppula looked like an entirely different player on the wing. Curious if Sheahan would too.

I'd love to give him a try on the wing in the top 6. It certainly can't hurt.

The more I think about the Sheahan Franzen comparison the more I love it. The only differences are nationality and Sheahans hair doesn't look stupid on his nhl on profile pic.

Both are/were large (and soft) bottom 6 centers that displayed flashes of great skill, and have great shots.

Maybe that's why I've always been fond of Sheahan. Franzen is my favourite player ever, I'm surprised I didn't make this connection sooner.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Z would be putting up similar numbers in that third line role. With us not able to score our depth guys numbers are going to be in the gutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad