Speculation: How long can we go without beating a team in the West?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Even a blind nut finds its squirrel... or a blind squirrel. Lol. Whatever. It will be by pure dumb luck.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We've played Vancouver three times, and could've won all 3. Our first WC win could very well come against them tomorrow.

There have been a number of games against WC opponents where we could have just as easily come away with a win instead of a loss. This team isn't nearly as bad as their record, and much improved from the last few seasons.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We've played Vancouver three times, and could've won all 3. Our first WC win could very well come against them tomorrow.

There have been a number of games against WC opponents where we could have just as easily come away with a win instead of a loss. This team isn't nearly as bad as their record, and much improved from the last few seasons.

I may or may not be alone in this but the time for 'we almost won, our advanced stats are good, our tenders blew that last game, we had an injury, we were tired off a road trip' are all over.

Wins and losses are the only thing that matters or that i give a **** about.

The year before this last one with Kavis Reed as coach the Esks looked good in a lot of games, could have won a lot of games and ended up with a whopping 4 wins. Jones comes in and the Esks looked suspect in a lot of games, should have lost more games but won them.

Wins and losses, the only stat anyone should care about with this team by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I may or may not be alone in this but the time for 'we almost won, our advanced stats are good, our tenders blew that last game, we had an injury, we were tired off a road trip' are all over.

Wins and losses are the only thing that matters or that i give a **** about.

The year before this last one with Kavis Reed as coach the Esks looked good in a lot of games, could have won a lot of games and ended up with a whopping 4 wins. Jones comes in and the Esks looked suspect in a lot of games, should have lost more games but won them.

Wins and losses, the only stat anyone should care about with this team by now.

The problem with caring about wins and losses is that everyone already know what that stat will look like at the end of the season. It doesn't leave much room to sell hope for next season, or more realistically, two season from now when the new building opens up and everything is magically better. Anything that can be used to show improvement will be trotted out as proof the process (and plan) are working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. Dress it up and sugar coat it all you like. Excuses are for a losing culture.

As the great Bill Parcells used to say. "We are what our record says we are".

And for us, that means LAST PLACE, in the west.

trexall*

remember guys. Its all about the process .... . . .... of losing.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
This is from the journal this morning, so we've still got a ways to go for our franchise mark vs. the west.

That 0-8-2 winless streak in interconference games that the Oilers will drag into Wednesday’s game equals last season’s 10-game drought that was recorded between Dec. 31 and Jan. 24.

But it is not as long as the franchise record. Courtesy of the Elias Sports Bureau, in 2009-2010, the Oilers went 22 games without registering a win against teams from their own conference. From Dec. 15-Feb. 10, they were 0-20-2.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is from the journal this morning, so we've still got a ways to go for our franchise mark vs. the west.

I don't know if anyone can imagine how unfathomable that is for me... that makes last years crappy start not look as depression as it was. I'm blown away.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Look at the western teams after the nucks, that they're against. Blackhawks,Stars, Preds, Blues, Yotes, and the sharks twice. We probably won't get a win against the West until mid December. Awful team.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My brother is calling it "hell week". For me it's November.

Hell week. Its been years of hell. Another early year of being in the bottom looking forward to the draft. Woooo, McDavid! I won't be tuning in the draft whatsoever for that crap. Draft lottery parties still happened last draft. Talk about embarrassing.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Look at the western teams after the nucks, that they're against. Blackhawks,Stars, Preds, Blues, Yotes, and the sharks twice. We probably won't get a win against the West until mid December. Awful team.

Florida just ****-kicked Anaheim this past weekend. Anything can happen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...oes+falling/10390008/story.html#__federated=1

This article flat out annoys me. If I were going to talk about Edmontons goals scored and goals allowed I guess this is what the nutshell version would be.

1 . Edmonton had a horrible start to the season.
2 . Edmonton hasn't scored a whole lot of the goals since the very start of the season.
- Edmonton has bunched all of their talent onto the first line making it easy for the opposition to focus on one of our lines.
- Edmonton has a ton of newcomers on the roster this season and because of that lack of chemistry could have had a small hand in Edmonton's failure to put in more goals.
3 . If Edmonton had been scoring significantly more goals, they probably would have still lost because their goaltending has been so horrible on some nights.
4 . Edmonton and Canadian Media is crazy to not have had Edmonton's goaltending coach's reputation put into question.
- The dude has been around since 2009.
5 - Edmonton has had a long list of mixed bag goalies since then.
- Gerber was never anything special and was a low-end back-up goalie when he came to Edmonton. Played 3 games while putting up an impressive save percentage and never played in the NHL after that.
- Garon was another guy you'd describe being in the middle of being a very low end starter and a high end back-up goalie. Posted decent career numbers during years that he wasn't playing a lot of games. Had 2 sub par seasons in Edmonton. His stats didn't increase before or after coming to Edmonton.
- Drouin-Deslauriers was picked quite high at 31st in 2002. Had nice size and seemed to be pretty consistent in his play, but after a couple of seasons in the NHL he was exposed. Never really made it in the NHL and is a career AHLer.
- Yann Danis showed short sparks of brilliance earlier in his career. Most of his games in Edmonton with downright disastrous. Looks like he's having a hard time holding onto a job in the minors at this point.
- Jason Labarbera has some decent stats in the past before coming to Edmonton, but after Edmonton picked him up my friend was laughing his ass off at our team. As my friend suspected, his stats were buffed by playing a team that was doing a great job of protecting the net and blocking up scoring lanes in prime scoring areas. After leaving Edmonton, it looks as if he's a total bum.
- With the Dallas stars and the Edmonton Oilers, Richard Bachman hasn't done anything to really grab anyone's attention. I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to say that he's a career injury call-up.
6. Edmonton has also had a fair number of goalies that the fans expected a lot more out of.
- Nikolai Khabibulin's efforts had been a bit enigmatic before he came to Edmonton. We were expecting a guy that could keep us in some games, but that didn't happen.
- Before coming to Edmonton Scrivens had posted average numbers in Toronto and above average numbers in L.A while playing protected minutes as a back-up goalie. Last season in Edmonton he had a few stand-out performances but his stats did take a bump playing in Edmonton. He faced a lot more shots and was played a lot more frequently. At the start of his year he was downright horrendous. He's had a few decent games this season after playing 14 games in the 14/15 season, but he hasn't looked like a starting goalie anyone would be happy to have on their team.
- Ilya Bryzgalov is another enigmatic goalie who was known to play well behind good blue lines and for good teams before coming to Edmonton. When Edmonton was in a pinch due to beyond disgusting goaltending he was brought in and played a whopping 20 games before being traded. He played a couple of decent games, but he has a tons of downright horrible performances. He was traded to the Wild where his sav% was in similar range to that which it was in Edmonton, but his win/loss record looks way better for the Wild. He's currently a free agent.
- 33 year old Viktor Fasth had amassed a career 17-8-3 record playing for a very respectable hockey team before coming to play for the Edmonton Oilers. His personal stats were around average before coming to Edmonton. After being traded to Edmonton late in the 13/14 season, Fasth would play 7 games with a 3-2-1 record. Unfortunately, his stats would take a massive dip at the start of the 14/15 season.
- DEVAN DUBNYK, a former Edmonton first round pick developed very slowly in the minors. Never posting elite numbers in the AHL while losing a ton of games. His first year in the NHL was a little rocky, but he turned things around in time to be given the chance to play average hockey for 3 seasons with the Oilers. A lot of people suggested he'd play a lot better if he wasn't playing being so many horrible hockey players. The 13/14 season went so badly for him that after Tommy Salo it should be considered the worst collapse by a goaltender in the history of the Oilers organization. He was traded to the Predators and after 2 games he was waived because he was somehow playing even worse than he was in Edmonton. He was then traded and waived down to the AHL where his play was still poor for a guy who's spent the last 5 years in the NHL. He was finally sent down the the ECHL, but he didn't end up starting any games there. Nobody expected to ever hear from poor Devan ever again... but to many people's surprise he was picked up by the Phoenix Coyotes, where goaltending coach Sean Burke seems to have turned poor Devan into a viable goalie again.

Some people can say that our goaltending should be crappy because we've never had anything awesome in the first place... but the pattern I see here is as follows: With the exception of Dubnyk (who eventually crashed and burned) none of our goaltenders since 2009 have shown any signs of improvement while being with the Oilers.

If your goalie coach can't get anywhere with that many goalies over a 5 year time span, you've gotta fire yourself for not already having fired him years in advance.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Geez. 1 more game vs the west. 1 more loss.

I really wonder if we could go deep into December.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

you can't honestly believe that

look, i'm a pretty big believer in advanced stats, but only when they match what you see on the ice... and this years oilers team is just as bad as any of the past 5 seasons... you just have to watch the games to know this... advanced stats can't be taken by themselves, watching the games is still important.... you're a smart guy, who simply cannot be watching these games and think this years team is one iota better

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we are losing games that are winnable. This isn't like how the Leafs got blown out by the Sabres and Preds. We could have won this game against the Nucks with a few tweaks on our performance. That's the torture of it. The Leafs are approaching a point where the needed changes are obvious. We're not there yet.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
we are losing games that are winnable. This isn't like how the Leafs got blown out by the Sabres and Preds. We could have won this game against the Nucks with a few tweaks on our performance. That's the torture of it. The Leafs are approaching a point where the needed changes are obvious. We're not there yet.

Last I checked the Leafs were tied for the last playoff spot while the Oilers were at the bottom of the western conference. I take being in a playoff sports and getting blown out a few games over winning the stats battle and blowing chunks.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well another game VS the west and another game we've lost.

I've gotta ask. Would it be mathematically possible for us to not be last in the West if we don't beat a team in the west this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad