Speculation: How long can we go without beating a team in the West?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
How many games will we go without beating a team in the West?

People think that Buffalo is a shoe-in to be last place, but they don't play Western teams as often as we do. This could be a helluva nasty season if we can only manage to beat western teams 4-5 times.

I'm not bored of listening to people talk about firing Eakins. I'm beyond bored and numbed out. We've been talking about it pretty much since the guy got here.

I at times wonder if Mac-T has been hesitant to fire Eakins because it would put his first big decision into question.

Mac-T doesn't want to make any big trades because he feels that all of those moves (there were a ******** of moves last off-season) were enough for Eakins to coach a competitive team. That's not the case yet. I honestly can't imagine how bad things have to go this season for Mac-T to make a move.

At this point he can see Yakupov breaking through and he can see that Hopkins and Hall are meeting their potential. I really don't think he can credit Eakins with any of this. These are all 1st overall picks whom were expected to turn into great players.

Assuming that it wasn't Mac-T's intention of tanking... he's gotta thinking that Eakins should be getting a lot more out of what players he picked up over the off-season.

Nikitin wasn't expected to be a #1 or a #2 d-man, but he was expected to be good for 18+ quality minutes of hockey each game.

Fayne hasn't been as bad. He's at least looking like an NHL player on a game to game basis.

Pouliot was looking like he was earning his wages playing on the same line as Hopkins and Eberle and I consider it a huge blunder on Eakins part to break that line up after Hall came back... because with the way things are now we've got two lines that are looking good. Wagon line and H-H-Eberle. If we want to have a chance at beating teams in the west we need more than two lines. I hope Eakins can wake up and Put Hal on a line with Yakupov for an extended period of time so that we can have a three lines that can be productive and hard to play again.

Purcell has been disappointing, but he's shown good chemistry with Dr Drai at times. This is another thing that can put Mac-T's decision making into question. Drai needs sheltered minutes and having him play with Perron and Purcell seems pretty logical.

Well, I doubt any of this stuff happens, because it seems that making sound decisions (such as finding a goaltending coach) has not been our forte.

When we played Phoenix I really REALLY thought we were going to finally a western team... but if we're going to lose to Phoenix... man... I donno. I really don't know what to think.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
All three games have been fairly tight against Vancouver this season. If the Oilers don't win tomorrow night, it'll be a blowout for Vancouver. After that, December 3rd against Winnipeg is my prediction.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
All season. Not even joking. Eakins has one idea, and it doesn't work against Western teams

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
As long as we play really good every time we go down 0-3 in the 1st period and out-corsi the other team it's all good. We will win the Corsi cup that comes with a bonus prize of your choice of McDavid or Eichel.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
As long as I can open Facebook after every game and see a Mad Libs "[Oiler] had [something] and [Scrivens/Fasth] made [this many] saves but the [Other Team] came away with a [battle descriptive] win by a score of [score], next game [day and time] against [New Opponent]" I'll always feel so hopeful! Real fans support their team!

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
As long as I can open Facebook after every game and see a Mad Libs "[Oiler] had [something] and [Scrivens/Fasth] made [this many] saves but the [Other Team] came away with a [battle descriptive] win by a score of [score], next game [day and time] against [New Opponent]" I'll always feel so hopeful! Real fans support their team!

:laugh:

I think you actually stole their template

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
"Oilers" a sheikyerbouti postmodern poem on a phone while waiting in line

When all your wins
are against the East
and all are your losses
are against the West,

and you play in the West.

When the new management
is the old management,
if there's ever a concern

Winning
all the drafts,
Losing
all the games,

my love is:
a tier.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
All three games have been fairly tight against Vancouver this season. If the Oilers don't win tomorrow night, it'll be a blowout for Vancouver. After that, December 3rd against Winnipeg is my prediction.

December 3rd? Seriously? We're not going to win a game until december 3rd? That would be nuts.

Yeah, it's not that long away... but to just think we could go that long without beating someone in the west.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
As long as we play really good every time we go down 0-3 in the 1st period and out-corsi the other team it's all good. We will win the Corsi cup that comes with a bonus prize of your choice of McDavid or Eichel.

If we draft Mcdavid we're screwed. Because we'll be forced to make some significant trades.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
"Oilers" a sheikyerbouti postmodern poem on a phone while waiting in line

When all your wins
are against the East
and all are your losses
are against the West,

and you play in the West.

When the new management
is the old management,
if there's ever a concern

Winning
all the drafts,
Losing
all the games,

my love is:
a tier.

This is a thing of beauty.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

lol...i had a nice laugh at "the corsi cup", thanks friend.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll say three games max. I expect spirited performances against Vancouver and Chicago and if either one comes in hoping to take a night off we can steal a game so long as goaltending cooperates and Dallas isn't all that great defensively so we have a decent chance there so long as we try to limit the chances on the Seguin+Benn line.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I think we might beat Dallas.

But I don't know. That team should be doing a lot better than they are with that roster. Hemsky only has 2 points this year.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah, this is going to be an ugly season.

We had a really favorable first month of teams, and completely blew it.

Looking at the rest of November and December, hahahaha.

I foresee a LOT of losses upcoming.

This is a badly built team with atrociously bad coaching to exacerbate the issues.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I think we might beat Dallas.

But I don't know. That team should be doing a lot better than they are with that roster. Hemsky only has 2 points this year.

You know Horcoff and Hemsky will have a muti point night against us.... :sarcasm:

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
sandlot-forever-o_zps0265233b.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
December 3rd? Seriously? We're not going to win a game until december 3rd? That would be nuts.

Yeah, it's not that long away... but to just think we could go that long without beating someone in the west.

Seeing who their WC opponents are up to the Winnipeg game, it'll be tough sledding.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Just looking ahead at some of the west teams we're facing..we actually have a decent chance of closing out the year without a win against the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad