How long before this team is a top 15 team in scoring?

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
It's never happened in franchise history,and I don't see it happening this year.I think the top line will be one of the best lines in the league,but I just don't see enough secondary scoring to make this team jump from dead last to top half of the league.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I expect them to be this year, maybe just barely but they should be top 15. Cullen, Granlund, Setoguchi, Clutterbuck, Brodziak, and all the defensemen won't be held off the goal column all year.

I agree, and I'm also expecting a decent contribution from Bouchard as well.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
maybe not this year, but by the end of the year they'll be averaging ppg in the top 15. this is a pretty new team given the additions of Parise, Granlund, Bouchard, and Suter.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
I'd like to hope it's this year, but next year is probably a safer bet. I think we'll be streaky again this year with scoring.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Next year I believe will be the start of a scoring change for us. Possibly near the end of this year, but it all depends on how long until our players really start to develop some chemistry.

The shortened season this year will not do us any favors in regards to the team gelling. We also need to have a little less player and coaching turnover so we can develop a little consistency.

Oh, and once we get rid of Cullen...

OpRedDawn*

depends if teams are stupid and give us the PP. For our 5on5, the only line I can see scoring is the top line. The other lines IMO don't fit, and we're still always just dumping it in and line changing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
2013/2014
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Coyle-Granlund-Zucker
Larsson-Brodziak-Setoguchi

You know you all want that line-up like yesterday.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
depends if teams are stupid and give us the PP. For our 5on5, the only line I can see scoring is the top line. The other lines IMO don't fit, and we're still always just dumping it in and line changing.

I thought lines 2-4 had their fair share of zone time, just couldn't maneuver it into grade A scoring chances.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It could easily be this year. Last year prior to the Koivu/PMB injuries we were hanging right around 15th in the NHL in goals per game. Team is better this year, it could easily happen once things come together.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd say in a full season:
1st line ~ 95 goals
2nd line ~ 60 goals
3rd line ~ 45 goals
4th line ~ 15 goals
Defense ~ 30 goals
TOTAL ~ 245 goals

GFA ~ 2.99 goals. That would be pretty much top 5 any year.

Take off 25 goals with a bit of bad luck/injury, you're down to 2.68, that's still right around top 15.

Really unless the team loses 3 top six players for the year, it would be an extreme disappointment to see them fall short of top 15.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Haven't you guys noticed how defensive wild's game is? Our centers are like third defenceman on the ice. Also wild almost always dump the puck when there is chance to get puck possession. We will never score much with this system but will win many 2-1,3-1 games. Maybe one 4-goal here and there.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
We've got the talent to be in the top-half of the league scoring, it comes down to chemistry/performance. Right now neither are at that level in our 2nd/3rd lines. Maybe it improves, maybe they get shuffled, 3 games in 4 days after a 1-week training camp and 3 months locked out isn't a good enough sample, especially with the changes from the team that finished last year.

Ninjas In Pajamas*

Haven't you guys noticed how defensive wild's game is? Our centers are like third defenceman on the ice. Also wild almost always dump the puck when there is chance to get puck possession. We will never score much with this system but will win many 2-1,3-1 games. Maybe one 4-goal here and there.

It seems that the Yeo really preached the defensive system during the shortened training camp (I gather that from his pressers and Russo's articles). Today they practiced more on individual skill and offense. Add that with the chemistry that is sure to develop and I'm certain the Wild will be in the top 15 of scoring in the league.

I say it happens consistently starting in about a month.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
As far as I can tell, the WILD has NEVER finished in the top 15 for scoring, and I see nothing in the current team to expect that to change.

BUt I sure as hell would be happy to stop being in the bottom 5 in scoring every freaking year. :(

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
we're a system team, not one that depends on stars to execute individually, so until everyone gets on the same page we're not going to see scoring increases.
I noticed line two is trying to set up just like line one--seto has had a couple cracks at the one time between the circles just like Heatley has.

OpRedDawn*

Feels like watching any other team (besides the Wild) they carry the puck into the zone 100x better than us. They always get good oddman rushes. They always get good chances after the zone time. The Wild never have any of those.

I know they need chemistry to develop, but it seems like our system doesn't allow for anything besides dump and chase.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I've been pretty impressed with the forecheck the Wild have been using....In years past, we might see just a single forechecker with the other two forwards playing back. Now we are seeing multiple forecheckers on a regular basis...sometimes we're seeing all three fowards down low.

As far as the center being the "third defenseman"...that's pretty much the case in ANY system being run on any team at any level. The center always has more defensive responsibilities than the wings and is usually the last forechecker.

The Wild are doing a good job at generating scoring chances, they just haven't been finishing yet. I think it'll come soon.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I'd say in a full season:
1st line ~ 95 goals
2nd line ~ 60 goals
3rd line ~ 45 goals
4th line ~ 15 goals
Defense ~ 30 goals
TOTAL ~ 245 goals

GFA ~ 2.99 goals. That would be pretty much top 5 any year.

Take off 25 goals with a bit of bad luck/injury, you're down to 2.68, that's still right around top 15.

Really unless the team loses 3 top six players for the year, it would be an extreme disappointment to see them fall short of top 15.

I'd probably say our 3rd scores more than our 2nd. I just really hate our second lines composition. They don't have the right people to put up 20 goals a piece. Each on their own should be capable of that, but not together. We need to bring up Coyle or Zucker for that line immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad