WJC: How Is Home Team Determined

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
According to Hockey Canada the US is the home team for the Gold medal game.
The US was the home team against Sweden, Finland, Canada (new years eve game), and the Swiss.
Canada was home team against Slovakia and the 1st game against the Swiss.

Not that it matters, well I guess it does on line changes, how can the US be home team 5 times and Canada only twice.
Even taking into consideration the US has played an extra game, it doesn't make sense.

Any one know why or is it a mistake on Hockey Canada's part.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/61090/la_id/1.htm

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Was just thinking about this myself, since Latvia was the home team in all but their last game (their only win). I observed that both their wins (including the exhibition game against Russia) came in their maroon jerseys, which got me thinking if the contrast of the puck against their white jerseys in the other games could have played a small role in their horrible showing (making it easier for the defending team to see the puck. Of course being the home team has it's advantages too.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Yeah, it had to be Canada, unless things had changed for this year.

Rather than rank it by best record (which would make so much more sense), several times throughout the streak, Canada has been a road team during a semi-final or final due to it being a rematch and having been home earlier.

Basically, a team isn't allowed to be home team twice against a team in the same tournament. USA being home on NYE made it so Canada would be home today. However, had they not played in the RR, I don't know how they pick....probably a coin flip or something random.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The host team should always be home if they make it to the gold medal game IMO.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Who was the home team the first time they played? I believe under IIHF rules if two teams meet twice in a tournament the team that was designated the road team for the first game is the home team the second meeting.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Who was the home team the first time they played? I believe under IIHF rules if two teams meet twice in a tournament the team that was designated the road team for the first game is the home team the second meeting.

USA was the home team on the New Years eve game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad