How is Färjestad using Oscar Klefbom?

2min4lookingsogood

Jun 13, 2011
Edmonton
This is really a question for Swedes on why he is playing so little in the Elitserien, anyone out there have any insight? It almost seems that the Oilers would be better off bringing him over next year than having Färjestad stunt his development. Thanks much.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Regardless of how good their team is if sweden wants to hold. Onto these first rounders they should be obligated to give them decent minutes.

If they don't do this its surely going to disscourage players from wanting to play in the sel and the ahl will end up getting flooded with more yong high end talent.

Same probably goes for the chl

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
My bad, sorry guys, was not thinking about the wrong player. Klefbom has been injured at the start of this season.

What I meant with Färjestad in general this season, is that they have started really bad. Meaning some guys will see less game time.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Regardless of how good their team is if sweden wants to hold. Onto these first rounders they should be obligated to give them decent minutes.

If they don't do this its surely going to disscourage players from wanting to play in the sel and the ahl will end up getting flooded with more yong high end talent.

Junior players are thrilled just to be in the SEL. No Swede would choose AHL over SEL unless their NHL team suggests/wants so. As for the obligated part, SEL clubs play to win firsthand, not to develop NHL players. Swedish clubs aren't too happy with how little compensation they get for players going overseas, either. But they will play the junior player if he improves the team.

Klefbom had a miserable offseason/preseason. I don't know if that's why he hasn't played much, but it wouldn't surprise. At the end of the day, he's never been a regular SEL player yet. He has also played 6 games with the J20 team and has only produced one assist. Give him some time to get back on track. He's got ways to go before he can be thought as an NHL player anyway, as he's both a project and was one of the youngest draftees.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Klefbom had loads of injuries at the start of the season. Right now he is probably 9th on Färjestads depth chart (8th now with Frögren out), good play for the junior team and injuries will bump him up that chart.

I sometimes think the SEL-teams signs just too many players, a SEL-team with some quality juniors doesn't need 2-3 extra senior forwards and 2-3 senior d-man. The best juniors just end up so crazy deep down the depth chart.

His Beardliness*

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. SEL teams aren't obligated to do anything. They play the players they deem the best to win hockey games. One of those players being a high draft pick has nothing to do with anything.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Junior players are thrilled just to be in the SEL. No Swede would choose AHL over SEL unless their NHL team suggests/wants so. As for the obligated part, SEL clubs play to win firsthand, not to develop NHL players. Swedish clubs aren't too happy with how little compensation they get for players going overseas, either. But they will play the junior player if he improves the team.

Klefbom had a miserable offseason/preseason. I don't know if that's why he hasn't played much, but it wouldn't surprise. At the end of the day, he's never been a regular SEL player yet. He has also played 6 games with the J20 team and has only produced one assist. Give him some time to get back on track. He's got ways to go before he can be thought as an NHL player anyway, as he's both a project and was one of the youngest draftees.

also should be noted that quite a lot of AHL teams play to win and aren't in the business of just handing out minutes to 1st round picks.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
And this guy is ranked higher than Jonas Brodin, who is playing on the same team?

BTW from what I heard, they have a new coach which is one of the reasons why they are off to a bad start.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011

Sigh. Players play if they are good enough. End of.

And this guy is ranked higher than Jonas Brodin, who is playing on the same team?

BTW from what I heard, they have a new coach which is one of the reasons why they are off to a bad start.

Like we said, Klefbom has been injured. Its not like anyone in the team has been playing especially good, so what is your point with Brodin?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

The top 50 is based on end product, not current. They believe he will be better long run.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon

Yes, the swedish teams should stop icing the best line up and instead play the line ups the nhl-teams want. Nice logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad