How instrumental is Scottie Nieds?

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
It has been said that young d-men take a lot longer to develop than forwards. However, with the Ducks, the opposite has been true, where our young d-men seem to develop rapidly, with Cam, Hamps, Vats, Theo, Montour, Larsson, etc. I was wondering if is due to Scottie or due to the scouting staff who are able to spot hidden gems. Even our prospects like Larsson, who are limited to their exposure to Scottie with prospect camps and traing camps have matured faster than expected. So what do you guys think?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You're overrating how instrumental guys like Scotty are. Plenty of NHL teams have had access to ex stars. NJ had Stevens in a player development and assistant coaching roles, St. Louis has had MacInnis working around their team for years, Pittsburgh has Gonchar as their defensive development coach at the moment.

He probably helps a bit but not nearly as much as you would believe.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Larsson has spent like 2 days with our staff. That kid's development is allll in Sweden.

I think Larsson also attend training camp, so he probably had an additional week or two of practice with staff. But the reason for the topic is if Scottie has innate ability to spot flaws in young d-men and give them tools or hints on how they can correct flaws if these players work at it. I don't know whether Scottie offers insights and advice that other teams' coaching staff don't offer, and I'm just curious on why d prospects mature so quickly for the Ducks unlike other teams. The only young d-man that hasn't mature quickly under the Ducks was Sbisa.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
You're overrating how instrumental guys like Scotty are. Plenty of NHL teams have had access to ex stars. NJ had Stevens in a player development and assistant coaching roles, St. Louis has had MacInnis working around their team for years, Pittsburgh has Gonchar as their defensive development coach at the moment.

He probably helps a bit but not nearly as much as you would believe.

So how do you account for Cam, Hamps, Vats, Theo, Manson, Montour maturing so quickly, while our young forwards take a lot longer to develop? It is contrary to the norm, where often times offensive players develop much faster.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So how do you account for Cam, Hamps, Vats, Theo, Manson, Montour maturing so quickly, while our young forwards take a lot longer to develop? It is contrary to the norm, where often times offensive players develop much faster.

I think it's simply that the d-men we draft are just flat out better players than the forwards we draft. Development can only go so far. There is no development that can make guys like Etem/DSP into top 6 forwards. Palmieri and Rakell are good, but outside of them we haven't made great choices drafting forwards in the past ~7 years.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
Is Scotty even a coach for us anymore? I know he's definitely not full time, but maybe like a special assistant like MLB teams do for Spring Training? He's no longer listed on the Coaches page on the Ducks site.

But I agree, Scotty may have helped Cam the most, but it wouldn't be fair to say he was instrumental in developing the rest.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Schultz forsook Niedermayer, and we all see where he's at now.

Hmm, maybe you're on to something. :sarcasm:

In reality, who knows. Unless Niedermayer leaves or we magically start sucking once a scout or other coach leaves while the success follows them, it's hard to know to who to give the credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad