How in the world was Jared Cowen picked above Ryan Ellis?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
It’s been a while but I remember the big knock on Ellis being his size.

Almost all draft boards said he would be lucky to be a PPQB

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I believe the sens may have drafted a small mobile offensive dman in 2008 that may have made ellis redundant. But i could be wrong

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ellis had one of the highest offensive IQ I've ever seen in a jr. player, he dominated his last 2 years despite his size, always thought it was a steal for Nashville with that pick.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Cowen was seen as big guy that could skate really fast, like mean Bouwmeester. People thought his offense would come later and like with many other players (tools no toolbox) it never did. I also think he lost a lot of skating after his knee and hip injuries.

Ellis was small, not fast. All he did was score, people were afraid his junior offense wouldn't translate. It did.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I recall during wjc that everyone knew Ellis was elite but there was real concern his size wouldn’t translate into the nhl game at that time. In today’s game it seems obvious but back then it was much more of a question mark. The game has changed

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It was definitely size, I remember the complaints on the old Preds boards about it.

Most of us saw Ellis being a 3rd pairing guy who would be really good on the PP. His hockey IQ is just insane and it allows him to make smart plays offensively, but also makes him able to cover for his lack of speed. I'm not sure anyone sees the play on the ice much better than him.

That said sometimes you have odd things that happen in drafts. Perfect example is Kevin Klein going in the first round the same year we picked Weber in the second.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It was definitely size, I remember the complaints on the old Preds boards about it.

Most of us saw Ellis being a 3rd pairing guy who would be really good on the PP. His hockey IQ is just insane and it allows him to make smart plays offensively, but also makes him able to cover for his lack of speed. I'm not sure anyone sees the play on the ice much better than him.

That said sometimes you have odd things that happen in drafts. Perfect example is Kevin Klein going in the first round the same year we picked Weber in the second.

Ellis is still a great skater though. Ellis and Mikael Granlund are not very fast but their actual skating ability is fantastic which is why they can stay in the league, and they're effective because of again super high hockey IQ/wisdom (Wisdom is hockey IQ along with the psychology to endure tough situations. Josi has high IQ, but he can cough the puck in situations that would get him injured, which is normal, but hockey-wise players can counter that is all).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Cowen was extremely impressive in junior. Sure its always easy to look back now and wonder why, but at the time Cowen was the real deal and definately seemed like he would become the real deal in the NHL.

These situations happen every draft, its what makes the NHL Draft so interesting

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Cowen was extremely impressive in junior. Sure its always easy to look back now and wonder why, but at the time Cowen was the real deal and definately seemed like he would become the real deal in the NHL.

These situations happen every draft, its what makes the NHL Draft so interesting

Maybe it's just me but there was nothing particularly impressive about him at the time. He played a super stacked Spokane team and had very little points. If it was eye test, then this proves eye test is not valuable for evaluating players entirely.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Ellis wasn’t held with a ton of regard. He was small but his skating didn’t blow anyone away.

There was actually a ‘big 7’ going into the draft (reported by the media and analysts). Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Schenn, Kane, Cowen and MPS.

Cowen has a pretty big injury in his draft year and fell. He was progressing nicely in the NHL until his injuries. Not only did he lose his mobility, but brain function as well. I once saw him go for the hit on a wide open two on one which resulted in a goal against.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
A lot of players are ranked and drafted on possible/hopeful future upside, Cowen didn't pan out, it happens.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Obviously it's great to have a player with size.

The problem is when the MAIN focus and purpose behind drafting a player, especially with a high pick, is size. With a 1st rounder, you better be getting a guy who has some combination of well above average, if not elite, skating, hockey IQ, shooting, passing, puck carrying, etc. If you take a guy who has size, and then is mediocre to slightly above average in those other areas, it's seems to rarely turn out.

Also, these guys frequently dominate junior simply because they weigh ~30-50lbs more than everyone else, and their skating/other skills is passable enough for those leagues. That advantage is largely negated by the time they reach the NHL, and then they're well behind the curve in the other areas relative to NHLers.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Ottawa sucks at drafting. Nobody drafts defensemen better than Nashville since they've been in the league. Hamhuis, Weber, Suter, Jones, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis. Am I missing anyone?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Ottawa sucks at drafting. Nobody drafts defensemen better than Nashville since they've been in the league. Hamhuis, Weber, Suter, Jones, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis. Am I missing anyone?

ugh, excuse me...Ottawa went off the board to grab Brian Lee over Kopitar, get your facts straight dude.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Actually for a brief period Ottawa had one of the best prospect pools in the league only behind Tampa. They drafted Stone, Silfverberg, Hoffman, Wiercioch, etc. and assembled a fantastic team in Bingo for multiple seasons. Sure their first round picks have been mep outside of Karlsson, but they've been a good late round drafter when Murray was a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad