How important are these playoffs?

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Price will have an opportunity to cast aside his mediocre playoff past this year. It's imperative for him to excel, his performance will likely determine how far we will go, despite the immense depth accumulated via drafting and veteran pickups in trades/free agency.

Vanek's play will dictate the decision of MB to retain him or not. Likewise, the Habs performance, whether positive or negative, will impact his decision to stay here or leave.

Therrien's ability as tactician, and his ability to make in game adjustements to counter effectively the adversary moves used against him will be widely exposed. Sadly, if we get humiliated early this year, our season record will protect him until next season. If the Habs have a disastrous 1st half of the season, he'll get the boot. Problem is, putting a bandaid remplacement would suck.

Desharnais, Patches, Eller, have to build their chops and contribute legitimately. Rookie excuses won't be tolerated, DD is 28, ostie.

Briere has to be in 2010 Flyers playoff mode.

Prust has to bring that grit we sorely need.

I'm worried about the stamina of Markov. His advanced age and declining mobility will make his job of eating countless minutes difficult, even though he's still a high-level D with good hockey IQ and skills. That's why utilizing intelligently Beaulieu and Tinordi would relieve him of some of his pressure and bolster our D depth with talent, energy, youth, physicality, and mobility. Our breakout would be solid too. Bouillon/Murray can't be playing ahead of either of these guys.

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Since we are scoring all our goals 5 on 5, and earlier this season we scored on the power play and struggled on 5 on 5, I'd say that yes. We are better 5 on 5.

The VanekEffect has been a boost for sure. Still, with Min and LA we're the lowest-scoring team to be a + at 5-on-5 on the season. We're now 138GF-136GA; Boston is 176-108! Tampa Bay is 149-134 so not a bad draw for us.

PricePkPatch*

The VanekEffect has been a boost for sure. Still, with Min and LA we're the lowest-scoring team to be a + at 5-on-5 on the season. We're now 138GF-136GA; Boston is 176-108! Tampa Bay is 149-134 so not a bad draw for us.

What if we compare the play of the last few weeks vs. the rest of the season?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With the way the team finished off the season last year, we may not have been in the playoffs in an 82 game season. 97 points, and possibly 100 points, is nothing to scoff at. We're also 4th on the PK and 9th in GA, suggesting our defensive play has improved. Our PP has gone to **** and the team has been boring to watch for most of the season, I'll give you that.
With the way we finished? You mean the two games we won? No, you must mean the 1-5 little streak we went through before right? So, we are to assume that the small 6 game streak is more representative of our potential and completely disregard the 42 other games? Obviously, we were going to continue dropping down the standing and may not even make the POs. Why exactly do we have to believe that?
During our little bad stretch, we actually played well. We weren't getting dominated, we were not being outchanced or outshot, it's actually the opposite. So no, I don't think we would have spiraled down the standings. Even in the POs despite our numerous injuries, Ottawa still needed Anderson to stand on his head.

Our defensive play has not improved at all. We are regularly outshot and outchanced, or at least have been for most the season. We are 21st in Shots Against this year as opposed to being 5th last year while Price has improved by .020% on his save percentage, that's huge. So the right conclusion is that we are getting saved by our goalie, not that our defense has improved. Not to mention, the team has blocked 300 more shots this season compared to last year's. So, not only do we allow more shots, but we also block a crap load more shots, which means, we have the puck a lot less than last year.

As I said, there is very little progress compared to last year, both team wise and individual wise.
I doubt anyone had this team finishing 3rd in the East. But here they are, primed to finish off another great season only 2 years into Bergy's tenure. It's still early in his 5 year plan and we have a ton of young prospects making the jump to the pros next season. You're right that most of our players have regressed, on a production basis anyways.
Who cares if nobody had this team finishing 3rd? Point is we are not playing better than last year. So no, we haven't progressed. If Bergevin believes we progressed compared to last year, then he needs to explain to me what he's basing himself on.

As for a deep playoff run, unless Boston some how loses, it'll be a tough battle to make the ECF. Losing in the 2nd round shouldn't be a bad thing for the position this organization is in at this point in time.

When is it ever easy to make it to the Conference Final? The Sharks have been contenders for a decade and never even made it to the cup. Playoffs are tough. No doubt.
But I will be disappointed if we don't reach the ECF to be honest, but I'll be even more disappointed if Bergevin is satisfied with a 2nd round exit.
And why should it not be a bad thing? We have the hottest line in the NHL right now with two 35-40G scorers. We have one of the best two way/shutdown center in the NHL. We have a tough pest that plays in the top 6. We have a good 3rd depth line (if they keep playing as so). We could have a 4th line that would be 3rd on many teams if those guys come back (and if we make it to the 2nd round, they should be back). We have a Norris winner. We have one of the best PP QB. We have a great shutdown D coming back. We have a goalie that is having a vezina like year.
So why should I be satisfied with a 2nd rd exit? Screw that man. I believe in this team. We can go far.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Since we are scoring all our goals 5 on 5, and earlier this season we scored on the power play and struggled on 5 on 5, I'd say that yes. We are better 5 on 5.

Better than 90% of the season sure. But that 90% is more important when you want to assess a full season's play.
But as I said multiple times, the POs are a different beast. Going into the POs on fire can do wonders. If we win 2 of our last 3, we'll be the hottest team out of the 16 going through.

PricePkPatch*

Never have the cards been so aligned for us.

- Our first opponent have lost their top point-scorer and their potentially freakish goalie may have been injured
- We still managed to beat the Bruins this year despite them being more dominant than ever around the league
- Penguins are a huge question mark
- We have acquired the juiciest piece in the Trade Deadline Day, and he's clicking better than any Trade Deadline acquisition. In fact, ALL of our trades have proven to be huge positives in our lineup; the WWV --> Weise, Weaver and Vanek.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Never have the cards been so aligned for us.

- Our first opponent have lost their top point-scorer and their potentially freakish goalie may have been injured
- We still managed to beat the Bruins this year despite them being more dominant than ever around the league
- Penguins are a huge question mark
- We have acquired the juiciest piece in the Trade Deadline Day, and he's clicking better than any Trade Deadline acquisition. In fact, ALL of our trades have proven to be huge positives in our lineup; the WWV --> Weise, Weaver and Vanek.

We can't **** this up.

We need to take this one series at a time and show true focus and cohesive efforts to climb the ladder one rung at a time.

We've been given a golden opportunity to go far in the playoffs, and that the very least we will be getting experience for our young players and our core in the playoffs, something that must be absorbed first hand.

My personal expectations: (barring unforseen circumstances) I expect us to at the very least lose in the 2nd round, going down fighting.

Tampa are a great team but we should beat them IMO

PricePkPatch*

We can't **** this up.

We need to take this one series at a time and show true focus and cohesive efforts to climb the ladder one rung at a time.

We've been given a golden opportunity to go far in the playoffs, and that the very least we will be getting experience for our young players and our core in the playoffs, something that must be absorbed first hand.

My personal expectations: (barring unforseen circumstances) I expect us to at the very least lose in the 2nd round, going down fighting.

Tampa are a great team but we should beat them IMO

You are right

Love your attitude. We should look at the Tampa series like one tough ordeal. Our boys should be hungry, and eager to play their best hockey. Once game at a time.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
I think it is very important, the Canadiens have enough talent to go a few rounds, and gain respect in the league. Price would have to play his very best like he did at the Olympics, if they are to have a chance at the cup. Subban also has to play better, he has not been at his best lately.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think this year's playoffs are a bit of a freebee

I don't think it's as much as MB believed we are a serious contender as he saw a surprisingly weak Eastern Conference that could maybe be won with some relatively low cost additions

I'm predicting a Mighty Duck scenario where we have a great run that falls short but we come back and win it all in a few years once we fill the gaps

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Price will have an opportunity to cast aside his mediocre playoff past this year. It's imperative for him to excel, his performance will likely determine how far we will go, despite the immense depth accumulated via drafting and veteran pickups in trade/FAs.

Vanek's play will dictate the decision of MB to retain him or not. Likewise, the Habs performance, whether positive or negative, will impact his decision to stay here or leave.

Therrien's ability as tactician, and his ability to make in game adjustements to counter effectively the adversary moves used against him will be widely exposed. Sadly, if we get humiliated early this year, our season record will protect him until next season. If the Habs have a disastrous 1st half of the season, he'll get the boot. Problem is, putting a bandaid remplacement would suck.

Desharnais, Patches, Eller, have to build their chops and contribute legitimately. Rookie excuses won't be tolerated, DD is 28, ostie.

Briere has to be in 2010 Flyers playoff mode.

Prust has to bring that grit we sorely need.

I'm worried about the stamina of Markov. His advanced age and declining mobility will make his job of eating countless minutes difficult, even though he's still a high-level D with good hockey IQ and skills. That's why utilizing intelligently Beaulieu and Tinordi would relieve him of some of his pressure and bolster our D depth with talent, energy, youth, physicality, and mobility. Our breakout would be solid too. Bouillon/Murray can't be playing ahead of either of these guys.

Good points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad