How important are these playoffs?

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
What bearing will this postseason have on Michel Therrien's future with the club? If the Habs go down in 5 or 6 games, does he get an extension or is he shown the door?

What does PK stand to lose or gain?

Markov? The difference between a 3-year deal or a one-off?

With his acquisition of Vanek, does Bergevin now expect more from his team?

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I doubt Therien will be let go even if they get eliminated by Tampa. As much as it would be nice to have a better coach, he's done more good than bad at this point.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Bergy's expectations are probably a 1st round win. Anything after that is a bonus.

He wants to see progression, and so far he's seen just that. He knows the playoffs are a whole different beast, but with the team he gave Therrien, they should be able to win at least 1 round. Assuming we win that first round, we'll be up against a team that swept the Penguins last year and who are arguably the best team in the league. We'd obviously be quite the underdog vs the Bruins so a playoff exit in the 2nd round shouldn't be considered a bad thing.

If Therrien gets completely out coached with a deep, healthy, skilled team and loses in 4-5 games, he'll definitely be on the hot seat. At this point, I can't see him getting fired. But an embarrassing first round exit shouldn't get him an extension.

Desharnais needs to put on a solid performance. I doubt Bergy forgot about his embarrassing effort last post season.

Eller is now playing for a contract. His playoff performance can be the difference between a trade and a decent contract with the Habs (hopefully the latter). Weiss and White are also playing for contracts.

If Subban can elevate his play, like he has done in previous playoffs, he can finally shut his haters up, at least for a month or so. It may also make the contract negotiations easier for both sides. As for Markov, I feel Bergy is set on 2 years.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
1. What bearing will this postseason have on Michel Therrien's future with the club?

2. If the Habs go down in 5 or 6 games, does he get an extension or is he shown the door?

3. What does PK stand to lose or gain?

4. Markov? The difference between a 3-year deal or a one-off?

5. With his acquisition of Vanek, does Bergevin now expect more from his team?

These are my opinions, and in no way am I saying these are facts.

1. I think this postseason will give a pretty good indication of what Therrien can do in the playoffs. If we fail in the first round, I think MB may be reluctant to give out an extension

2. If the Habs go down in flames in the first round (again), I don't think he is extended or fired. I think next season will be a make or break for him. If he doesn't step his game up, there could be trouble for him.

3. This is a contract year for a young player who hasn't played as well as he did last year. I think the playoffs could effect his contract by a little, but not by a lot. If he has a ****** playoffs, MB will have more leverage to lower his cap hit by a bit. Either way, PK's cap hit will be over 7.5m. A Norris trophy and his acceptance of that bridge deal play into that very much.

4. These playoffs will have very little to do with Markov's future with the Habs. He's a veteran player in this league. MB knows what Markov can bring, so he knows what he's getting when he signs him. ****** playoffs or good playoffs for Markov, either way, I see him getting a 2 year deal. No more, no less.

5. I certainly hope so. If he is okay with spending (a vastly small price in this unique case) to acquire an elite player like Vanek only to get bounced in the first round, we should start looking for a new GM now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If we were facing a #7 or #8 90 point team then it would be a big test, but facing TB in round 1, pretty hard to call the season a failure unless they get swept.

I think Price has a lot to prove(with last year's failure), so do Vanek(UFA) Desharnais and Pacioretty, the latter two have never had playoff success in limited games.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergy's expectations are probably a 1st round win. Anything after that is a bonus.

He wants to see progression, and so far he's seen just that. He knows the playoffs are a whole different beast, but with the team he gave Therrien, they should be able to win at least 1 round. Assuming we win that first round, we'll be up against a team that swept the Penguins last year and who are arguably the best team in the league. We'd obviously be quite the underdog vs the Bruins so a playoff exit in the 2nd round shouldn't be considered a bad thing.

If Therrien gets completely out coached with a deep, healthy, skilled team and loses in 4-5 games, he'll definitely be on the hot seat. At this point, I can't see him getting fired. But an embarrassing first round exit shouldn't get him an extension.

Desharnais needs to put on a solid performance. I doubt Bergy forgot about his embarrassing effort last post season.

Eller is now playing for a contract. His playoff performance can be the difference between a trade and a decent contract with the Habs (hopefully the latter). Weiss and White are also playing for contracts.

If Subban can elevate his play, like he has done in previous playoffs, he can finally shut his haters up, at least for a month or so. It may also make the contract negotiations easier for both sides. As for Markov, I feel Bergy is set on 2 years.

Where's the regular season progress? We had a higher point pace last year standing wise (also going to finish lower in the standings), and most of our stats are actually lower. The vast majority of our players have regressed. So where's the progress??

Beating TB is a must, and if Bergevin's satisfaction was just to get through the 1st round then I'd rather we kept Colberg and our picks.

I think he's aiming the conference final at the very least, especially with such a wide open eastern conference.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
These playoffs are of the utmost importance.

No one in their right mind expects a cup win. However there are several factors (growing talent, weak competition, roster getting younger) that makes getting at least 1-2 wins paramount.

We need our young guys to get exposed to playoff style games as much as possible. This is where players gain their confidence, their swagger, and their careers. Tinordi and possibly Beaulieu will get a great taste of the big time. Subban had that chance at the right time and he developed at a great pace. Not saying they are him but it will make them way more primed for next year's regular season.

The Gallys need to get more experience as well, especially Alex. He needs his chance to take over games and he can do that getting solid minutes with Plek.

Eller can really regain confidence. He was great against the Bs in 2011, and while I know his fragile, a strong performance might really help him put his limitations in perspective and have him focus on having a more specific game.

Price, Subban could help haters **** with strong performances. Markov deserves a team this good after putting the team on his shoulders for the majority of his careers.

We can really get a good look at Therrien as well.

Basically this year is how we can see what we need, and we might even get lucky and have a decent shot at the cup to be honest. (If we get out of the east, and face a team that's not LA, STL, SJ we have an outside shot. CHI, COL and ANA are all beatable because we match up better)

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Where's the regular season progress? We had a higher point pace last year standing wise (also going to finish lower in the standings), and most of our stats are actually lower. The vast majority of our players have regressed. So where's the progress??

Beating TB is a must, and if Bergevin's satisfaction was just to get through the 1st round then I'd rather we kept Colberg and our picks.

I think he's aiming the conference final at the very least, especially with such a wide open eastern conference.

With the way the team finished off the season last year, we may not have been in the playoffs in an 82 game season. 97 points, and possibly 100 points, is nothing to scoff at. We're also 4th on the PK and 9th in GA, suggesting our defensive play has improved. Our PP has gone to **** and the team has been boring to watch for most of the season, I'll give you that.

I doubt anyone had this team finishing 3rd in the East. But here they are, primed to finish off another great season only 2 years into Bergy's tenure. It's still early in his 5 year plan and we have a ton of young prospects making the jump to the pros next season. You're right that most of our players have regressed, on a production basis anyways.

As for a deep playoff run, unless Boston some how loses, it'll be a tough battle to make the ECF. Losing in the 2nd round shouldn't be a bad thing for the position this organization is in at this point in time.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Probably will be a key factor in whether Vanek wants to continue hi career here. Not sure another quick exit will make him want to stay.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
MT will be around no matter what happens in the playoffs. 4 game sweep I'm sure he'll get the extension.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Getting Vanek was a pretty clear indication he expects the Habs to go deep. The east is wide open.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

He's seen progression? Where? Never mind, I saw your response to KrissE. I personally don't see any progression. In fact, the team is worse this year than last.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Average tenure for an NHL coach is 2.8 years my guess is Therrien will make it about that far, start another season whatever happens.

More than MT, I want to say that the small-size strategy will be on trial in the playoffs. No team in the NHL's modern era has routinely iced five or six players who are 5'9" or shorter. Both MB and MT are responsible for this -- the DD extension and the Briere and Weaver signings are on MB; while DD#1C, Bouillon being in ahead of Murray/Tinordi/Pateryn and, lately, Weaver playing more than Subban, are MT's call.

As most here will agree, physical play and intimidation increase in the playoffs while penalties and special team opportunities decrease. So if we succeed in the playoffs it will be a real blow to conventional hockey wisdom re size. However if we get beat up and knocked out the Org might abandon the small man gambit. Or not, the Habs have been small up front for a long time and after Ottawa pounded us last year MB went and signed Briere ¯\(°_o)/¯

Another thing at stake in the playoffs is our best skater, who needs a new contract. If the MT-Subban rift intensifies in the spotlight of the playoffs, a lose-lose situation could develop. And then there's Vanek, a good playoffs might persuade him to stay.

So a lot is at stake! Go Habs Go !!!

Last edited:

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

These playoffs are so important for Price. We know he reached a superior level after the Olympics, but NHL playoffs means a lot more... At least we know Price's confidence is skyrocking right now.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

He's seen progression? Where? Never mind, I saw your response to KrissE. I personally don't see any progression. In fact, the team is worse this year than last.

We're a grinding team. Results should, in theory, be seen in the playoffs.

How did it look last playoffs against the Sens? Thats what I thought...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Therrien made the playoffs, I see that as being where the bar was set. He can get swept by the Bolts and look bad doing it, and he'll still be behind the bench to start next season.

Alas.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
How important are these playoffs? Important enough to play the games we get ;)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I love these boards. after a full season where every player and his cousin gets bashed around as being no better than fertilizer, now, to augment the risk of Therrien getting fired, we have a skilled team that runs deep with talent at every position.

Sure, now that Therrien might get fired if we hype it up enough, we're leaps beyond a team that would have to fight just to make the playoffs.

Whatever….

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Huge

Go far and become a cup contender for the next years.

Roll over and die quickly again and stay in the middle of the pack.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

giphy.gif

remember last year when two weeks before the playoffs we started playing like complete ****? Well with a week left we're better than we've been all year.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
If we do bad, Therrien probably wont get fired, unless we lose terribly or he has a huge problem with the locker room.

But if we do lose in round one, he will probably be on the hot seat at the beginning of next season

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
giphy.gif

remember last year when two weeks before the playoffs we started playing like complete ****? Well with a week left we're better than we've been all year.

Are we better 5 on 5? No. PK? PP? Defensively? You really think this team has progressed? What?

PricePkPatch*

Are we better 5 on 5? No. PK? PP? Defensively? You really think this team has progressed? What?

Since we are scoring all our goals 5 on 5, and earlier this season we scored on the power play and struggled on 5 on 5, I'd say that yes. We are better 5 on 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad