How I think the Canucks would match their Defense against the Wild

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Hey Wild fans,

This is purely for enjoyment and improving my knowledge of the league. If you don't enjoy this thread, I hope you'll skip on and stay positive.

This is a long read. But I put some thought and some time into it. If you have the time to read it and reply, I'll read everyone of them.

Canucks' fan here in peace. I wrote this post as a response to a thread on the main board. However, I realized that the responses I would be most interested to hear would be from the fans who know the Wild the best. I would be curious to know whether you feel I deploy the Canucks in an intelligent manner against your team. I'd also be happy to hear how you would line-match/strategize against the Canucks.

Match-Up: Canucks vs. Wild

Now this becomes highly highly speculative given the Canucks' seemingly drastic (and still somewhat mysterious) sweeping regime change. We'll know a lot more about philosophies, lines, deployment, etc after the first period of the first game of the year.
That said, here's what I would do:

I would expect the Wild lines to be something like
1. Parise-Granlund-Pominville
2. Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
3. Cooke-Haula-Niederreiter
4. Zucker-Brodziak-Fontaine

Defense could be something like

Suter-Brodin

Scandella-Spurgeon

Blum-Folin (or Ballard)

-------

Now, these are my lines for the Canucks. I'm sure not everything would work out, and they would change during the season, but sight unseen, here they are.

1. D. Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

2. Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

3. Higgins-Vey-Hansen

4. Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Defense

1. Hamhuis-Bieksa

2. Edler-Tanev

3. Stanton Sbisa

Miller
---

Defense

Now, I would pay some attention to forward line match-ups, but in this case my primary concern would be getting the right defense-pairing match-ups.

I want Hamhuis with Bieksa because we rocked that pairing in our run to the finals and, IMO, it never stopped working, we just stopped going to it for some reason.

The Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing goes against Parise-Granlund-Pominville.

This is because Hamhuis has the most hockey sense of all of our defense (though Tanev is nearly his equal, and may well be by the end of the year). I definitely want a player with high-calibre hockey sense against a player with the hockey genius of Granlund setting up a shot like Pominville's and the tenacity and smarts of Parise.

Bieksa would be playing opposite Parise. I find that Bieksa plays his best when he feels he's being personally challenged. Parise is a fantastic player for that. Parise wants to win (and often does win) battles he has no business winning on sheer hustle and smarts. He'll keep Bieksa on his toes and at his anticipatory best. Playing with an elite safety-valve like Hamhuis will allow Bieksa to truly trust his instincts.

The second D-Pairing of Edler and Tanev would play against the 2nd line of the Wild of Vanek-Koivu-Coyle.

This is because I feel like Edler's struggled with speedy players in the last couple of years (maybe he's still struggling with that back-injury). He would do well against Koivu and Coyle who both kind of use their size, strength, and reach to keep the puck outside and confuse D-men with quick passes. Edler's fantastic strength would help keep them on the outside. Tanev, meanwhile, is quick and smart enough to counter Vanek's unpredictability.

The Third D-pairing of Stanton and Sbisa (if he works out on the right, which may or may not happen), would play mostly against the 4th line, as well as the 2nd line on offensive zone draws when necessary.

I have Sbisa and Stanton together because from what I've read Sbisa has somewhat questionable hockey sense and plays impulsively. Stanton was really good for Bieksa last season who is an impulsive player as well and can be exposed with the wrong partner (Edler being a prime example).

I don't want Sbisa and Stanton against the first line for obvious reasons. I would prefer to keep them away from the third line as well because I feel like their limitations would be exploited by the speed of Haula. Further, I feel like Neiderreiter can be rushed into making poor decisions, but this d-pairing would give him the time to make a few good plays. He's a confidence based player thus far, so if he has a few good early shifts suddenly the Wild have a 2nd line quality player on their 3rd line that night.

Strategy wise, I feel like the Wild are a quick pass, beautiful cycle, swarm team offensively. I think the best strategy against them is to really protect the box (basically the home plate area in front of your yet running to the face off dots and the top of the circles). They're the type of team that draws you out of position and then makes a quick pass and strikes that open area. I would be hesitant to rush at them too frequently.

---

I'm curious to hear if people agree or disagree with my thoughts.

----

This is fun to think about, but also a little bit time-consuming. I need to hit the hay, but I'll write about what I think the Canucks would do with their offense in a couple of days if anyone expresses interest.

-Cheers.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
That's a lot effort put into one post. Nice. Although, I think you could've possibly touched, at least briefly, whether the pairing would or wouldn't be sufficient to shut down the Wild line and if so, why.

I'm terrible at contributing in these so I'll leave it to others.

Nevertheless, thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Billy Mays Here*

Not sure what the whole point of this thread is but thanks for the insight I guess.

Billy Mays Here*

How Wild forwards fare against Canucks' defense?

Yes, but it seems like something kind of pointless to make, especially now that we're not in the same division anymore. I guess I just don't see the point in breaking down something so much with nothing more than speculation based on your own observations, and especially something that doesn't matter a whole lot. Something like this could use some statistics too.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yes, but it seems like something kind of pointless to make, especially now that we're not in the same division anymore. I guess I just don't see the point in breaking down something so much with nothing more than speculation based on your own observations, and especially something that doesn't matter a whole lot. Something like this could use some statistics too.

I think it's just for fun not much to talk about In the summer.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
is your real ? will the wild finish higher than the nucks in the standings? my guess is yes. we had 98 points last year & if we figure out our goaltending plus our young guns are 20% better than last year we should endup with 104 points. (imo) i think the loss of luongo & kessler will take a little time for your team to regain its chemistry.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
is your real ? will the wild finish higher than the nucks in the standings? my guess is yes. we had 98 points last year & if we figure out our goaltending plus our young guns are 20% better than last year we should endup with 104 points. (imo) i think the loss of luongo & kessler will take a little time for your team to regain its chemistry.

No, I suspect the Wild finish higher. It's just a chance to play coach. I follow the entire NHL pretty closely, so I do know the Wild. I just wanted to see if Wild fans who know their team well feel that my match-ups would work and that kind of thing. I also was curious how you folks would match up against the Canucks.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'd speculate us Wild fans don't know much about Vancouver's lesser-known players. Myself, I barely know anything about Tanev, Stanton, and Sbisa - which makes things difficult when I'm trying to gauge match-ups.

I think Hamhuis, Edler, and Bieksa will all fair fine against the Wild forwards. I'm excited for next year because we have 3 lines with potential for consistent scoring, which I'm not sure the Canucks defense will be able to handle.

On the flip-side, the key for the Canucks to defeat the Wild depends on them tiring out Suter, and Koivu's shut-down line. Looking at your lines, I don't see much that impresses me. The Sedins are getting old, and the loss of Kesler will be huge. Having Hamhuis and Bieksa out against both the Wild's 1st and 2nd lines doesn't seem like a good idea; there's just too much scoring potential between the two.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Have to be honest, this was my take on it as well. It's not a real knock in it. I just don't get why someone would spend that kind of time on a team where we're not playing them much any longer.

Meh. To each their own. :dunno:

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I'll play I guess.

With a team like Minnesota, I don't think the matchups are nearly as important as driving possession. Minnesota has the potential to be a team that can beat you with four lines.

When we were on last year, we were really on. If the Wild are able to play their system well, they are terrifyingly effective. Watch the home playoff games against the Avs for a great example.

However, if you can win the possession battle, or at least keep even, the Wild are significantly less effective in recent history. We aren't nearly as scary on the rush, and we don't really have superstar finishers to break games open with regularity.

So basically, effective breakouts and puck support from your forwards are more important than the actual matchups in my opinion. If I'm being honest, I think the talent level heavily favors the Wild in this comparison, so playing keep away is the best route I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad