How huge an upset was the Flyers' 1974 Cup win over Boston?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Stanley-Cup-1974-Philadelphia-Flyers.jpg

Standings-wise, Boston and Philadelphia were separated by only 1 point and 2 wins (52-17-9 and 113 pts for the Bruins, 50-16-12 and 112 pts for the Flyers).

But I hear a lot about how it was such a huge upset that Philly won the Cup.

We know of course about what happened that series:

Moose Dupont tying game 2 late in regulation

Bobby Clarke scoring in OT

Bernie Parent living up to the "Only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent" bumper sticker

Fred Shero's 'Dump the puck into Bobby Orr's corner and wear him down' strategy,

'Win today and we walk together forever,'

Kate Smith's live rendition of God Bless America

Rick MacLeish's goal holding up in game 6

Gene Hart's iconic Cup winning call.

How does it compare with other playoff upsets (i.e. Islanders/Penguins 1993, Flames/Oilers 1986, Montreal/Washington 2010, 1982 Kings/Oilers, 1990 Flames/Kings)?

Was it truly that shocking as I hear that Philly won that Cup and the Bruins could not make it 3 in 5 years?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 2 was the key with Philly winning in OT at Boston.

The Flyers won their first game in Boston in 1967 and then lost the next 19.

The NHL has set up the playoffs with a crossover in the SF round between East and West after the Blackhawks happily agreed to move to the West in the 70-71 season to give them a better shot at the Cup. The NHL wanted to ensure the SCF had the best 2 teams after St Louis went 0-12 in the SCF between 1968-1970.

The Flyers in 1974 became the first expansion team to make the SCF after the crossover round when they beat the Rangers in 7.

upload_2018-10-11_2-6-4.png

Most pundits expected the Bruins to win in 5 but the Flyers could not be beaten at home that season.

Game 6 was on NBC that year and referee Art Scov made some questionable calls in the third period.

It was a circus starting with Kate Smith.

upload_2018-10-11_1-49-40.png

upload_2018-10-11_1-52-54.png

The following season the unthinkable happened where you had 2 expansion teams playing in the SCF - Buffalo/Philly

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-11_1-51-25.png
    upload_2018-10-11_1-51-25.png
    540.2 KB · Views: 1

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
between Parent and MacLeish, the Bruins kinda beat themselves...

At the time I imagine it was considered a big upset because the Flyers were unknowns. In retrospect it doesnt look as bad with them winning it again the next year and making the finals the year after that.

In terms of 70s Bruins upsets, to me it isnt as bad as '71 Montreal

really, '74 is the Cup the WHA hurt the Bruins the most. I dont see them losing that series with Cheevers in net.

Reactions: Tarantula

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

At the time I imagine it was considered a big upset because the Flyers were unknowns. In retrospect it doesnt look as bad with them winning it again the next year and making the finals the year after that.

In terms of 70s Bruins upsets, to me it isnt as bad as '71 Montreal

really, '74 is the Cup the WHA hurt the Bruins the most. I dont see them losing that series with Cheevers in net.

1971 Cheevers was in goal except for game 2.

Never did beat the Canadiens in the playoffs before or after 1971.

Neutralize Orr and the Flyers were faster than the Bruins.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
1971 Cheevers was in goal except for game 2.

Never did beat the Canadiens in the playoffs before or after 1971.

Neutralize Orr and the Flyers were faster than the Bruins.

not relevant to the point i was making, but cool story...not sure how the Canadiens matter in 74 considering the Bruins played the Leafs and Hawks before Philly

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
If I remember correctly some of the hockey establishment considered the Flyers series win over the Rangers a upset, or am I having a flash back to Stan Fischler's Hockey Heroes of 74?

Don't forget Reggie Leach as well! In fact the Bruins drafted Leach and MacLeish back to back during the first round, 3rd and 4th picks overall, 1970 I believe?:shakehead

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Despite the standings, yeah, it was something of an upset at the time (I watched some summaries and games of the 1974 season last night)...the Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 series lead at home, but even then the Rangers came storming back to send the series to 7. Philadelphia was pretty peerless at home - even against the Rangers (1-0-2 vs. them during the regular season...add the playoffs, they went 5-0-2 against the Rangers at home; but 0-5-0 against them at MSG). Philly squeaked out a 4-3 win in game 7 at home after bludgeoning them with their bullying tactics early on...

As a Penguin fan, I grumble to myself that neither of these winning teams had to go through Montreal in the playoffs...and when they finally did, they were eviscerated...damn you Dryden and your extracurriculars...

Reactions: blogofmike

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Game 2 was the key with Philly winning in OT at Boston.

The Flyers won their first game in Boston in 1967 and then lost the next 19.

The NHL has set up the playoffs with a crossover in the SF round between East and West after the Blackhawks happily agreed to move to the West in the 70-71 season to give them a better shot at the Cup. The NHL wanted to ensure the SCF had the best 2 teams after St Louis went 0-12 in the SCF between 1968-1970.

The Flyers in 1974 became the first expansion team to make the SCF after the crossover round when they beat the Rangers in 7.

View attachment 145691

Most pundits expected the Bruins to win in 5 but the Flyers could not be beaten at home that season.

Game 6 was on NBC that year and referee Art Scov made some questionable calls in the third period.

It was a circus starting with Kate Smith.

View attachment 145685

View attachment 145689

The following season the unthinkable happened where you had 2 expansion teams playing in the SCF - Buffalo/Philly

The great Gene Hart & Don Earle on the Flyers telecast. Miss those days.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It would have been a bigger upset in hockey history if the Flyers hadn't gone on to win back-to-back championships and prove they were more than just some fluke.

Reactions: Killion

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, my first year as a hockey fan and had heard all about Ken Dryden taking time off. Michel Plasse, Bunny Larouque I believe were the main two goalies for the habs that year. Back then it was either the Habs or Leafs on CBC HNIC, and a CTV game on Wed.

The OT goal in game 2 of the Finals was a heart breaker to a very young Bruin fan. I knew even then it was going to be tough to win in Philly which they would have had to win one. Took five more appearances in the finals and 37 years before I finally saw them win the cup. Imagine if they didn't wallop the Canucks in 2011, it would be now 8 finals and counting.... and counting.......

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Before my time but even with Philly being a top team that year the Bruins of the early to mid 70's were still the Bruins and I got to think this was an upset.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Before my time but even with Philly being a top team that year the Bruins of the early to mid 70's were still the Bruins and I got to think this was an upset.

It was at the time but mostly as the hockey establishment didn't or wasn't ready to see one of the expansion teams win a cup. They were still called expansion teams then, the others Original 6. Really in hindsight it shouldn't have been considered that big of a upset, but at the time it was.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
If I remember correctly some of the hockey establishment considered the Flyers series win over the Rangers a upset, or am I having a flash back to Stan Fischler's Hockey Heroes of 74?

Don't forget Reggie Leach as well! In fact the Bruins drafted Leach and MacLeish back to back during the first round, 3rd and 4th picks overall, 1970 I believe?:shakehead

Leach wasn't on the 73-74 team. The Flyers acquired him in the offseason prior to their second Cup.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The great Gene Hart & Don Earle on the Flyers telecast. Miss those days.

I still wonder why the Flyers hired Earle after he lost the Boston job. Earle got squeezed out of the Bruins job when Fred Cusick became available.

Were the Flyers trying to force Gene Hart out??? :dunno:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It would have been a bigger upset in hockey history if the Flyers hadn't gone on to win back-to-back championships and prove they were more than just some fluke.

It was HUGE. Remember it very well indeed VI having just returned to Canada in the Spring of 74 & heading up to the olde family cottage on an island miles from nowhere (Cat Stevens, huh, remember that?... only he screamed it the LOSER)..... 12" black & white Viking Portable TV, Bunny Ears, CBC..... fridge full of Molson Stock Ale Stubbys..... block, Thick as a Brick of Lebanese Black Hash.... blow torch from Canadian Tire... wrecked the silverware of course..... Bic pen as a filter.... Southern Comfort, Creme de Methe, DuMauriers.... uh?..... Games on.....

And ya, that was MAJOR. Fabulous to see, watch, as much as I loved Boston having gotten to know some of their players from my ex playing days a few years back, knowing some of the guys in their system & so on. But for Philly, for Ed Snider knowing what he'd been through. The Mans life. Who & what he was. For the City. How close a call that franchises very existence had been. On & on & on. Long story. But yes, most definitely one of my happiest moments as a spectator, watcher rather than player and nothing will ever surpass my memories, emotions as a player. But sure, that, an absolute beauty. Ecstatic for Philadelphia, Ed, Clarke, Parent, Shero, the lot of em. Stuck it right into the NHL's eyeball. The Eye of Sauron. Loved it. Eat me. Take. You. Out.....

Right. On. Too damn bad they havent been able to repeat. Love PA, Philly....

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
.... 12" black & white Viking Portable TV, Bunny Ears, CBC..... fridge full of Molson Stock Ale Stubbys..... block, Thick as a Brick of Lebanese Black Hash.... blow torch from Canadian Tire... wrecked the silverware of course..... Bic pen as a filter.... Southern Comfort, Creme de Methe, DuMauriers.... uh?..... Games on.....
an excerpt from Fear & Loathing in Cottage Country

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
An awful lot of Flyers on that ‘74 team were once Bruins’ property — MacLeish, Leach, Parent, Joe Watson, Lonsberry, Dornhoefer, Crisp ... gotta think more than a few of them wanted to stick it to Boston in that series. Proud men, no question.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
an excerpt from Fear & Loathing in Cottage Country

..... :laugh: never really thought of Georgian Bay or the rest of the Great Lakes as "Cottage Country", more as fresh water oceans, the islanders having more in common with the denizens of their counterparts on the West Coast, Gabriola etc & certainly many of those on Vancouver Island itself. Living on an island full or part time, even one with major roads, highways & amenities, cities etc producing much in the way of self reliance, creativity, work ethic. Of solitude, quality of life. Things not so "rushed". The "Fear & Loathing" types, they generally gravitated to the Muskokas proper. Lake Muskoka, Joseph etc.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I assumed that counted as cottage country.

Meh. I never thought of it that way. More as a "second home". Considerably "wilder" than what most think of when they think "cottage country. Considerably more rough & rugged than much of the Muskoka's. Far more vast, expansive. Savvy? :nod:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am from B.C.

"Cottage country" is such an Ontario-centric phrase that I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Meh. I never thought of it that way. More as a "second home". Considerably "wilder" than what most think of when they think "cottage country. Considerably more rough & rugged than much of the Muskoka's. Far more vast, expansive. Savvy? :nod:

Much like the man himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad