How huge an upset was the Flyers' 1974 Cup win over Boston?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by ChrisK97, Oct 11, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. ChrisK97

ChrisK97 Registered User

[​IMG]

Standings-wise, Boston and Philadelphia were separated by only 1 point and 2 wins (52-17-9 and 113 pts for the Bruins, 50-16-12 and 112 pts for the Flyers).

But I hear a lot about how it was such a huge upset that Philly won the Cup.

We know of course about what happened that series:

Moose Dupont tying game 2 late in regulation

Bobby Clarke scoring in OT

Bernie Parent living up to the "Only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent" bumper sticker

Fred Shero's 'Dump the puck into Bobby Orr's corner and wear him down' strategy,

'Win today and we walk together forever,'

Kate Smith's live rendition of God Bless America

Rick MacLeish's goal holding up in game 6

Gene Hart's iconic Cup winning call.

How does it compare with other playoff upsets (i.e. Islanders/Penguins 1993, Flames/Oilers 1986, Montreal/Washington 2010, 1982 Kings/Oilers, 1990 Flames/Kings)?

Was it truly that shocking as I hear that Philly won that Cup and the Bruins could not make it 3 in 5 years?

2. Fenway

Fenway RIP Fugu Sponsor

Game 2 was the key with Philly winning in OT at Boston.

The Flyers won their first game in Boston in 1967 and then lost the next 19.

The NHL has set up the playoffs with a crossover in the SF round between East and West after the Blackhawks happily agreed to move to the West in the 70-71 season to give them a better shot at the Cup. The NHL wanted to ensure the SCF had the best 2 teams after St Louis went 0-12 in the SCF between 1968-1970.

The Flyers in 1974 became the first expansion team to make the SCF after the crossover round when they beat the Rangers in 7.

upload_2018-10-11_2-6-4.png

Most pundits expected the Bruins to win in 5 but the Flyers could not be beaten at home that season.

Game 6 was on NBC that year and referee Art Scov made some questionable calls in the third period.

It was a circus starting with Kate Smith.

upload_2018-10-11_1-49-40.png

upload_2018-10-11_1-52-54.png

The following season the unthinkable happened where you had 2 expansion teams playing in the SCF - Buffalo/Philly

Attached Files:

rfournier103, Sentinel and Tarantula like this.
  3. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

between Parent and MacLeish, the Bruins kinda beat themselves...

At the time I imagine it was considered a big upset because the Flyers were unknowns. In retrospect it doesnt look as bad with them winning it again the next year and making the finals the year after that.

In terms of 70s Bruins upsets, to me it isnt as bad as '71 Montreal

really, '74 is the Cup the WHA hurt the Bruins the most. I dont see them losing that series with Cheevers in net.

Tarantula likes this.
  4. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    1971 Cheevers was in goal except for game 2.

Never did beat the Canadiens in the playoffs before or after 1971.

Neutralize Orr and the Flyers were faster than the Bruins.

5. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

not relevant to the point i was making, but cool story...not sure how the Canadiens matter in 74 considering the Bruins played the Leafs and Hawks before Philly

6. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    Relevent point was neutralizing Orr's speed, described upthread. Canadiens could match Orr's speed as a team.

7. Tarantula

Tarantula Hanging around the web

If I remember correctly some of the hockey establishment considered the Flyers series win over the Rangers a upset, or am I having a flash back to Stan Fischler's Hockey Heroes of 74?

Don't forget Reggie Leach as well! In fact the Bruins drafted Leach and MacLeish back to back during the first round, 3rd and 4th picks overall, 1970 I believe?:shakehead

8. Mike Farkas

Mike Farkas Grace Personified

Despite the standings, yeah, it was something of an upset at the time (I watched some summaries and games of the 1974 season last night)...the Flyers jumped out to a 2-0 series lead at home, but even then the Rangers came storming back to send the series to 7. Philadelphia was pretty peerless at home - even against the Rangers (1-0-2 vs. them during the regular season...add the playoffs, they went 5-0-2 against the Rangers at home; but 0-5-0 against them at MSG). Philly squeaked out a 4-3 win in game 7 at home after bludgeoning them with their bullying tactics early on...

As a Penguin fan, I grumble to myself that neither of these winning teams had to go through Montreal in the playoffs...and when they finally did, they were eviscerated...damn you Dryden and your extracurriculars...

blogofmike likes this.
  9. ted1971

ted1971 History Of Hockey

Cancer survivor and current stay at home Dad
    The great Gene Hart & Don Earle on the Flyers telecast. Miss those days.

10. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

It would have been a bigger upset in hockey history if the Flyers hadn't gone on to win back-to-back championships and prove they were more than just some fluke.

Killion likes this.
  11. Tarantula

Yeah, my first year as a hockey fan and had heard all about Ken Dryden taking time off. Michel Plasse, Bunny Larouque I believe were the main two goalies for the habs that year. Back then it was either the Habs or Leafs on CBC HNIC, and a CTV game on Wed.

The OT goal in game 2 of the Finals was a heart breaker to a very young Bruin fan. I knew even then it was going to be tough to win in Philly which they would have had to win one. Took five more appearances in the finals and 37 years before I finally saw them win the cup. Imagine if they didn't wallop the Canucks in 2011, it would be now 8 finals and counting.... and counting.......

12. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    Before my time but even with Philly being a top team that year the Bruins of the early to mid 70's were still the Bruins and I got to think this was an upset.

13. Tarantula

It was at the time but mostly as the hockey establishment didn't or wasn't ready to see one of the expansion teams win a cup. They were still called expansion teams then, the others Original 6. Really in hindsight it shouldn't have been considered that big of a upset, but at the time it was.

14. Normand Lacombe

Normand Lacombe Registered User

Leach wasn't on the 73-74 team. The Flyers acquired him in the offseason prior to their second Cup.

15. Tarantula

Yeah, that is right, he was stuck in my mind as a Flyer, forgot he actually wasn't there 73/74.

16. ChiTownPhilly

ChiTownPhilly Not Too Soft

Asst Supervisor- State Gov't
    I think it was Bill Clement who gave us the following insight:

"We hoped we could beat Boston...

we knew we could beat Buffalo."

VanIslander and Fenway like this.
  17. Fenway

Fenway RIP Fugu Sponsor

I still wonder why the Flyers hired Earle after he lost the Boston job. Earle got squeezed out of the Bruins job when Fred Cusick became available.

Were the Flyers trying to force Gene Hart out??? :dunno:

18. Killion

Killion Registered User

It was HUGE. Remember it very well indeed VI having just returned to Canada in the Spring of 74 & heading up to the olde family cottage on an island miles from nowhere (Cat Stevens, huh, remember that?... only he screamed it the LOSER)..... 12" black & white Viking Portable TV, Bunny Ears, CBC..... fridge full of Molson Stock Ale Stubbys..... block, Thick as a Brick of Lebanese Black Hash.... blow torch from Canadian Tire... wrecked the silverware of course..... Bic pen as a filter.... Southern Comfort, Creme de Methe, DuMauriers.... uh?..... Games on.....

And ya, that was MAJOR. Fabulous to see, watch, as much as I loved Boston having gotten to know some of their players from my ex playing days a few years back, knowing some of the guys in their system & so on. But for Philly, for Ed Snider knowing what he'd been through. The Mans life. Who & what he was. For the City. How close a call that franchises very existence had been. On & on & on. Long story. But yes, most definitely one of my happiest moments as a spectator, watcher rather than player and nothing will ever surpass my memories, emotions as a player. But sure, that, an absolute beauty. Ecstatic for Philadelphia, Ed, Clarke, Parent, Shero, the lot of em. Stuck it right into the NHL's eyeball. The Eye of Sauron. Loved it. Eat me. Take. You. Out.....

Right. On. Too damn bad they havent been able to repeat. Love PA, Philly....

19. VanIslander

an excerpt from Fear & Loathing in Cottage Country

20. BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce Registered User

An awful lot of Flyers on that ‘74 team were once Bruins’ property — MacLeish, Leach, Parent, Joe Watson, Lonsberry, Dornhoefer, Crisp ... gotta think more than a few of them wanted to stick it to Boston in that series. Proud men, no question.

Canadiens1958 likes this.
  21. Killion

Killion Registered User

..... :laugh: never really thought of Georgian Bay or the rest of the Great Lakes as "Cottage Country", more as fresh water oceans, the islanders having more in common with the denizens of their counterparts on the West Coast, Gabriola etc & certainly many of those on Vancouver Island itself. Living on an island full or part time, even one with major roads, highways & amenities, cities etc producing much in the way of self reliance, creativity, work ethic. Of solitude, quality of life. Things not so "rushed". The "Fear & Loathing" types, they generally gravitated to the Muskokas proper. Lake Muskoka, Joseph etc.

22. VanIslander

I assumed that counted as cottage country.

Killion likes this.
  23. Killion

Killion Registered User

Meh. I never thought of it that way. More as a "second home". Considerably "wilder" than what most think of when they think "cottage country. Considerably more rough & rugged than much of the Muskoka's. Far more vast, expansive. Savvy? :nod:

24. VanIslander

I am from B.C.

"Cottage country" is such an Ontario-centric phrase that I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

25. Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie Registered User

Unknown
    Much like the man himself.