How High or Low can the NYI 1st Go?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
In the event NYI loses the play-in round and one of the 8-15 teams wins a lottery pick (1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall), NYI can potentially win a lottery pick in which case the NYI 1st disappears from this year's draft, shifting to 2021. That's the worst case scenario for that pick. We will ignore this scenario for the thread question.

I have read the pick can go as high as 10 to maximizing at 13 (@ianmendes 's recent TSN article). So what are the permutations, from best to worst if the Isles loses the play-ins but not win a lottery pick?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Best (for us) is 13. unless someone can explain to me why not.

Once all the play-in teams are done they get seeded from 8-15 based on points %. NYI had the third highest points % in the playoffs after Carolina and NYR. At best, NYR and Carolina also lose and push NYI up to 13th.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Best (for us) is 13. unless someone can explain to me why not.

Once all the play-in teams are done they get seeded from 8-15 based on points %. NYI had the third highest points % in the playoffs after Carolina and NYR. At best, NYR and Carolina also lose and push NYI up to 13th.

That's the scenario when none of the 8-15 play-in losers win one of the three draws. In the event Team A to H wins the draw, then in Draft 2 all play-in losers have the same odds (12.5%) I think.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
That's the scenario when none of the 8-15 play-in losers win one of the three draws. In the event Team A to H wins the draw, then in Draft 2 all play-in losers have the same odds (12.5%) I think.

1. If NYI, NYR, and Carolina lose but none of them win the lottery. We pick 13.
2. If NYI loses and only one of Pitt or Carolina lose their play-in (but they win the lottery) We pick 14.
3. If NYI loses and one of Pitt or Carolina lose. We pick 14
4. If NYI loses and one of Pitt or Carolina lose (but the team that loses wins the lottery). We pick 15
5. If NYI loses and Pitt and Carolina both win their play-in. We pick 15.
6.If anyone from 1-12 wins the draw it does not have an effect on us picking 13. If we are picking 14, anyone winning from 1-13 has no effect on us. If we are picking 15, anyone winning from 1-14 has no effect on us.
7. If NYI win their play-in, we will pick either 21 or lower depending on how far they go and which teams lose their play-ins.

I think that is everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: armani

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
1. If NYI, NYR, and Carolina lose but none of them win the lottery. We pick 13.
2. If NYI loses and only one of NYR or Carolina lose their play-in (but they win the lottery) We pick 14.
3. If NYI loses and one of NYR or Carolina lose. We pick 14
4. If NYI loses and one of NYR or Carolina lose (but the team that loses wins the lottery). We pick 15
5. If NYI loses and NYR and Carolina both win their play-in. We pick 15.
6.If anyone from 1-12 wins the draw it does not have an effect on us picking 13. If we are picking 14, anyone winning from 1-13 has no effect on us. If we are picking 15, anyone winning from 1-14 has no effect on us.
7. If NYI win their play-in, we will pick either 21 or lower depending on how far they go and which teams lose their play-ins.

I think that is everything.

Did you factor in teams from the Western Conference in your calculation?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Win the Stanley Cup 31
Win the Lottery 1

You cannot lose the play-ins and win the Cup, nor will Ottawa get the pick if NYI won the lottery. Perhaps you missed the original question.

In the event NYI loses the play-in round and one of the 8-15 teams wins a lottery pick (1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall), NYI can potentially win a lottery pick in which case the NYI 1st disappears from this year's draft, shifting to 2021. That's the worst case scenario for that pick. We will ignore this scenario for the thread question.

I have read the pick can go as high as 10 to maximizing at 13 (@ianmendes 's recent TSN article). So what are the permutations, from best to worst if the Isles loses the play-ins but not win a lottery pick?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You cannot lose the play-ins and win the Cup, nor will Ottawa get the pick if NYI won the lottery. Perhaps you missed the original question.

Ah ok.. Yes I did lol... I just went off the thread title. I did not expect conditions .. carry on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad