How has Vegas done it?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Completely agree, days after it happened I was thinking about how emotional the home opener was going to be. Vegas just went through one of the most horrific events our country's ever seen and now they finally have their first major professional sports team. Something unifying the city to rally around, watching that pre-game ceremony honoring the victims & first responders and seeing them come out of the gate flying to score 4 goals in the first 10 mins of their home opener, it was very apparent that emotion played a major role
I had tears when Engelland took the mic. When he scored, I cheered as loud as I did when Lanny scored in the Finals against Montreal in '89. I hated the idea of the NHL being in Vegas, but right now, I am cheering for them.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
they actually picked up some very talented forwards, and they all decided to have careers years at same time

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It reminds me a lot of Team Finland in IIHF. We have almost never had any superstar teams, but we constantly finish quite high. Purely through team effort in a system that is familiar to almost every player.

Funnily enough, the only times we have iced a real all-star team, it has ended badly :laugh: Most famously, the "amazing" effort in World Cup 2016. The roster was:

Patrik Laine-Aleksander Barkov-Sebastian Aho
Mikael Granlund-Mikko Koivu-Joonas Donskoi
Jussi Jokinen-Valtteri Filppula-Leo Komarov
Jori Lehterä-Erik Haula-Lauri Korpikoski

Esa Lindell-Rasmus Ristolainen
Olli Määttä-Sami Vatanen
Sami Lepistö-Ville Pokka

Pekka Rinne (Tuukka Rask)

With the above lineup, guess how many goals we did in the *entire* tournament?

One.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is a new fetish. Now t's the coach. Not taking anything away from him, but people are just desperate for an explanation and don't want the truth. The leagues's talent level is not that high.

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
1. Unlike most other teams, they start the season guns blazing because they feel that they are looked down upon.
2. They play in the worst division.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
It just comes down to pure luck. If you go through every major league in the world, expansion teams always do poorly in the first season and remain poor for years. In few instances have teams risen up from the ashes within years.

In MLB, Arizona Diamondbacks expanded in 1998 and won the World Series in 2001.
In MLS, Chicago Fire expanded in 1998 and won the MLS Cup that same year.
In NFL, Cleveland Browns also won the 1950 Superbowl in the inaugural season.

Unfortunately for all these teams, since these wins they've been rather...well...irrelevant.

Quick to success and quick to fall.

We'll see how Vegas fares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad