How has Drew Doughty not won a Norris yet?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
He's probably the best defenseman in the world right now and arguably the best all round defenseman in the world. The only dman in the league right now who is on his level is Weber and then everyone else is a small notch under. Id still consider Doughty to be better than Weber simply cause hes a better skater and his playoff accomplishments put him over the top. Plus hes younger and hasnt even hit his prime yet. I have a feeling he wont get one for a couple years (when Chara hangs it up). His biggest competition right now is Weber.

Like the comparisons have been said before, he looks more and more like Ray Bourque, the more his 2 way form gets better. Sutter has molded him into an mature 2 way dman. His rookie year, he looked like a 20 year vet on the ice. I forgot, did he not win the calder? I would be shocked if he wons any less than 5 Norris's in his whole career. He is the closest to this generations Nic Lidstrom.

Last edited:

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Zdeno Chara
Ryan Suter
Niklas Lidstrom
Duncan Keith
Erik Karlsson
Shea Weber
PK Subban
Kris Letang

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
its largely based on points and he doesnt put up as many as the top scoring dmen, although he is the best all around dman in the league

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm not sure he's deserved one until this season, when he's been far and away one of the best, and then his offense isn't enough for him to get recognition. Put him in the Olympics or Playoffs, and he will become the best defenseman in the world. In the regular season, he's elite, but isn't at that level he reaches.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The Norris Trophy isn't cool. The Conn Smythe is and if the Kings win again I almost guarantee you Dought will get it because this is the worst D corps the Kings have had the last four seasons. Mitchell gone, Regher as a Frankenstein, Voynov the "alleged" felon, Greene playing like the league's best 8th defenseman and so on. Stoll and Richards playing like poo aggravates that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's probably the best defenseman in the world right now and arguably the best all round defenseman in the world. The only dman in the league right now who is on his level is Weber and then everyone else is a small notch under. I have a feeling he wont get one for a couple years (when Chara hangs it up). His biggest competition right now is Weber.

Like the comparisons have been said before, he looks more and more like Ray Bourque, the more his 2 way form gets better. Sutter has molded him into an incredibly 2 way dman. I would be shocked if he wons any less than 5 Norris's in his whole career.

Because Ray Bourque didn't just look like himself. He also put up serious numbers, while also being fantastic defensively.

I absolutely think Doughty can look like the best defenseman in the world on some nights. Unfortunately, I don't think it's every night, and I think consistency can be an issue. He also doesn't have the offensive numbers. He's not even top 15 in D scoring right now, and the Norris definitely requires stats to back up great play.

I think he's a stud, and an absolute work horse, and if I'm looking for the best defenseman for a 7 game series he is absolutely my guy. But I don't think he's ever been the best defenseman in an NHL season. Or even top 3, most seasons.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
The Norris Trophy isn't cool. The Conn Smythe is and if the Kings win again I almost guarantee you Dought will get it because this is the worst D corps the Kings have had the last four seasons. Mitchell gone, Regher as a Frankenstein, Voynov the "alleged" felon, Greene playing like the league's best 8th defenseman and so on. Stoll and Richards playing like poo aggravates that.
In my eyes he has already turned in two Smythe-worthy performances. I don't know how he didn't win it last year and I thought he was their best player in 2012 although with Quick's gaudy stats I understand why he won (and he certainly wasn't undeserving).

I don't think he has had the best regular season of any NHL defensemen in any given season though so I'm not surprised he hasn't won the Norris. Still a top 3 defensemen in my eyes and you're crazy if he's not in your top 5.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
In my eyes he has already turned in two Smythe-worthy performances. I don't know how he didn't win it last year and I thought he was their best player in 2012 although with Quick's gaudy stats I understand why he won (and he certainly wasn't undeserving).

I don't think he has had the best regular season of any NHL defensemen in any given season though so I'm not surprised he hasn't won the Norris. Still a top 3 defensemen in my eyes and you're crazy if he's not in your top 5.

Yeah 100% agree, Sutter has him mentoring the younger dmen right now because until Sekera got here, the drop between Doughty to Muzzin was huge.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
His stats are underwhelming. He plays on the West Coast - late at night so I suspect a lot of voters don't watch him night in and night out... they end up looking at the scorecard and stats.nhl a lot more than they should.

He elevates his game in the playoffs... which is great if you're an LA Kings fan but not so great for a regular season award.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He's probably the best defenseman in the world right now and arguably the best all round defenseman in the world. The only dman in the league right now who is on his level is Weber and then everyone else is a small notch under. Id still consider Doughty to be better than Weber simply cause hes a better skater and his playoff accomplishments put him over the top. Plus hes younger and hasnt even hit his prime yet. I have a feeling he wont get one for a couple years (when Chara hangs it up). His biggest competition right now is Weber.

Like the comparisons have been said before, he looks more and more like Ray Bourque, the more his 2 way form gets better. Sutter has molded him into an mature 2 way dman. His rookie year, he looked like a 20 year vet on the ice. I forgot, did he not win the calder? I would be shocked if he wons any less than 5 Norris's in his whole career. He is the closest to this generations Nic Lidstrom.

If Weber hasn't won it why should Doughty?

member 151739

its largely based on points and he doesnt put up as many as the top scoring dmen, although he is the best all around dman in the league

If he doesn't put up as many points, then how he is the best all around defenseman, exactly? Shea Weber puts up more points. And he's better defensively.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Because his strengths didn't offset his deficiencies relatively to other top defensemen in any season.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
He's always been that clutch player int he playoffs/Olympics to me meanwhile steady but still good in the regular season.

Most of these awards are mostly about regular season play are they not?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
If Weber hasn't won it why should Doughty?

I think Weber will win it this year, but Doughty perhaps next. It all depends when Sutter is replaced. His system is holding Doughty back offensively. Doughty has a lot more to give offensively but it wont happen while playing under Sutter.

It also hurts that playing in LA, all their games are 8:30 starts. Ridiculous. I know I never watch them because theyre too late for me during the weekdays. If Doughty was playing on an original 6 team or a canadian team, he would get 1000 times more exposure and probably put up considerably better numbers.

Imagine him in Chicago, he would put up 65 pts easy, he might even outscore Keith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad