How hard is it to make a pro league

Dontpassjustscore

Dec 16, 2013
What if Crosby quit playing hockey when he was 10. Didn't play til he was 25, then started again. Does anyone think he would make the echl or has he lost too many years of no training. Theoretical question I know, but just trying to crush anyone's dreams I play beer league with that think they can make it to the E. Thanks boys.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I've never heard of anyone who falls even remotely under your criterion making it in professional hockey.

There is an interesting "late starter" case involving a golfer. Larry Nelson didn't take up the game until he was 21 and ended up winning 3 major championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Nelson

Send your dreamy beer league buddies to the practice tees:laugh:

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
What if Crosby quit playing hockey when he was 10. Didn't play til he was 25, then started again. Does anyone think he would make the echl or has he lost too many years of no training. Theoretical question I know, but just trying to crush anyone's dreams I play beer league with that think they can make it to the E. Thanks boys.

Imaginations are a powerful thing.

When I was 10, I honestly and truly believed that my hockey team could defeat the New Jersey Devils.. who were totally horrid at the time

Let your buddies know that some SPHL and FHL teams hold open tryouts.. so if they ever want to prove they can be pro players, all it'll take is a couple hundreds bucks and a weekend off from work..

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
Imaginations are a powerful thing.

When I was 10, I honestly and truly believed that my hockey team could defeat the New Jersey Devils.. who were totally horrid at the time

Let your buddies know that some SPHL and FHL teams hold open tryouts.. so if they ever want to prove they can be pro players, all it'll take is a couple hundreds bucks and a weekend off from work..

Yeah,Sphl teams are looking for pro players that can play hockey,hey,our is head coach is kevin killer kaminski,how many time can you say that you were coached by a former nhl player

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Did they play NCAA Division I or were they in the better half of their Major Junior team? Are they at the same level as or better than former pros that skate in your league (if any?) Can you honestly say that they are in the top 1% of players in North America?

If the answer to all three of these is no, then your buddy almost certainly is dreaming.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Theoretical question I know, but just trying to crush anyone's dreams I play beer league with that think they can make it to the E. Thanks boys.

The answer to this question is painfully obvious. Look at how many D-I college hockey players don't even make it in the minors. These are finely-tuned athletes who started on USHL or NAHL squads, excelled at that level, and quickly found out that moving into the professional ranks (even minor league hockey) was a major challenge.

This is true of not just hockey, but all professional sports. Does anyone remember running back Troy Davis of Iowa State? He was a two-time All-American and became the first running back in NCAA D-I history to rush for 2000 yards in consecutive seasons. He left ISU after his junior year, was drafted by the New Orleans Saints, then virtually disappeared in the NFL after a few seasons. Davis wasn't some nobody playing in a rec league.

If somebody with those kind of collegiate accomplishments couldn't hack it in the pros, how is somebody who isn't even properly conditioned for the top-tier amateur ranks of a sport going to magically jump to the AA level with no problems whatsoever? Tell your rec league buddies not to quit their day jobs.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Troy Davis, former Hamilton Ticat. He had more than a few good years in the CFL!

I know. In America, however, he was supposed to be the next big thing and fell hard. Davis is a case study in how even the most gifted and capable athletes at the NCAA D-I level can find quickly themselves irrelevant in the big-time professional ranks.

I'm trying to figure out how some rec league hockey players believe they can just slide right into an ECHL uniform without any formal resume. It seems like that belief stems from complete ignorance in how good you have to be just to make it to NCAA D-I hockey.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I know. In America, however, he was supposed to be the next big thing and fell hard. Davis is a case study in how even the most gifted and capable athletes at the NCAA D-I level can find quickly themselves irrelevant in the big-time professional ranks.

I'm trying to figure out how some rec league hockey players believe they can just slide right into an ECHL uniform without any formal resume. It seems like that belief stems from complete ignorance in how good you have to be just to make it to NCAA D-I hockey.

I know man, just was shocked to see Troy Davis' name out there. Haha.

It is quite funny how even the best rec player in your league honestly wouldn't probably make a Senior AAA team or a FHL team. 99.8% of guys that play Junior A & B don't go pro either. It is few and far between. So a 20 something rec leaguer has not a chance in hell.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
I know man, just was shocked to see Troy Davis' name out there. Haha.

In the 1990s, I lived in an area that was heavily populated with Iowa State football fans. Troy Davis played his college ball there, and set all those benchmarks for rushing yardage. The hype was unbelievable...and he played in a strong football conference, so its not like he was racking up yardage against weak teams.

Another great college football flop from that same era which comes to mind is Ryan Leaf. Of course, his fall from grace was much more painful and tragic. At least Troy had some good years in another league.

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
Considering most or more likely all of them would get cut from major juniors if they met age requirements, and how some guys out of major juniors get cut from minor league camps, leads us to a big fat no. And like some have mentioned previously, any of them are free to be humbled by attending CHL, SPHL or FHL camps. Or even take a shot at the North Peace Hockey league or Great Lakes Hockey League where players aren't paid and most beer league guys would still get cut.

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Pros, even minor pros are incredibly good at what they do. I find sometimes it's difficult to understand how good they are until you get on the ice with them. I've played Pick up with some D-1 players and a couple guys from the ECHL a few times and even these guys are miles beyond me and most players who come to pick up. They can process the game so much faster than everyone else can, and their balance,cardio and strength is what gets me whenever I play with/against them. I play in an "A" league with guys who played D-3 college(and even these guys have skills and school me often). It would take an incredible amount of work to try and pull something off like the OP is suggesting.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh

Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Hell no.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Hell no.

Is it possible? Hell no.

Can your friend fight like Doug Smith on whom the movie Goon was based? I'm kidding.

The original post really is silly. The answer is absolutely "no chance". Let's say the lowest level of US-based minor league hockey is the FHL. Even players in that league have four years of NCAA D3 or a few years of Junior A or Junior B experience.

Over Christmas break, I played pickup with a former AHL player, two kids who play D3 and a few others that played Junior B or college club hockey. Absolutely stunning how good those guys were and they probably weren't even trying...

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
Is it possible? Hell no.

Can your friend fight like Doug Smith on whom the movie Goon was based? I'm kidding.

The original post really is silly. The answer is absolutely "no chance". Let's say the lowest level of US-based minor league hockey is the FHL. Even players in that league have four years of NCAA D3 or a few years of Junior A or Junior B experience.

Over Christmas break, I played pickup with a former AHL player, two kids who play D3 and a few others that played Junior B or college club hockey. Absolutely stunning how good those guys were and they probably weren't even trying...

Hey if his friend has spent the last 10 years training as a UFC fighter, is 6'9", can skate like the wind and has a 100 mph slapshot, I guarantee someone would at least give him a camp invite.

That scenario isn't very likely, but it is possible.

MrWilson*

Well...

It is a huge longshot, and most of it is for the reasons that responders here have cited. However...

One of the biggest reasons is that the upper levels of hockey, and to a lesser extent, some lower levels, are clubs...and if you ain't in them, you aint' in them.

People generalize about NCAA d1 and D3, major junior, USHL, NAHL, etc, but the fact is there are PLENTY of guys in those leagues that frankly aren't any better than a lot of guys that don't make it there or beyond. That's a fact. Just the way it is. It ain't always about ability folks, in fact, a good percentage of the time its about politics and money and probably a few things no one wants to talk about. Whatever the case, lots of talented guys never develop past midgets or even Jrs and NCAA because they don't get a shot for whatever reason.

Sometimes, they're just young kids that start to realize that other things in life exist that don't involve getting their heads bashed in....chics, beer, rock n roll, pot, cars, cushy desk jobs, sandy beaches, etc, etc.

But, go tryout. At the very least its the chance to test yourself and prove you ain't near those that make the squad. Hey, maybe you'll get the chance to kick some ass too, that's ALWAYS fun and worth the trip. But making the team? Very tall order. Still, if you're young, in shape and want to try, it CAN happen. Just bring a lot of ibuprofen and butterflies and band aids in case.

Honestly, why would you want to? They don't pay much, its dangerous and getting to the next level (AHL or NHL) is as infrequent as winning powerball tickets.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
A friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who was playing rec league hockey here in Southern California did one of those free-agent camps for the Ontario Reign's inaugural season. The team made a HUGE PR splash about trying to find local players, since it was their first season.

He made the team, and even played 16 games. The highest he had made it in organized hockey prior to that was a handful of games in the USHL.

Itan Chavira

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad